SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Mac Edition
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Mac Edition Discussion related to the SageTV Media Center for Mac edition. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Mac edition should be posted here.

Old 07-06-2007, 02:42 PM

So excited Mac Version. Need help for buying decision

Great to see Mac version. I think I am very excited about this. I have a few questions. I can't seem to get all of them from the Sage website.

1. If I have a usb tuner with a standard analog cable connected, can I use any of the standard usb stick style tuners for the host mac? Such as Miglia, Plextor, Pinnacle, Terratec, Twinhan, Hauppauge and EyeTV? Which will not work with Sage? I'm only interested in using USB stick style tuners.

2. I have an emac in a room of my home. I want to connect one of the tuners to it and use the Sage software on the emac as my server. I will probably never watch from the emac. I want to watch live tv and recorded programs on my laptops throughout the house and over the internet. Can I do this with this setup?

3. Does the Sage Tv programs that I access in the local home network go wirelessly through my wireless router or will I need to be connected via hard wire ethernet?

4. I understand that to view Sage tv on my physical TVs in the house, I need to buy and connect the Sage Media Extender product on each TV. Is this correct?

Thanks for an answer.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:48 PM
SageTVaholic

1) No stick tuners.
Quote:
Mac
Hauppauge EskapeLabs myTV.PVR
Hauppauge WinTV PVR USB2 (use the EskapeLabs drivers)
2) Your emac is likely not fast enough cpu to do the internet place shifting. Anything local should be fine as long as the emac is wired and not wireless.

3) Wired is better. Since you didn't state which kind of wireless, I assume G. G is okay for SD TV, but not HD content. Also, the more clients, etc., the worse the network will perform.

4) Yes, the MVPs are great. I just installed my 4th one today.

B