SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 10-02-2006, 04:46 PM
Sage

Post Important Version 6 Upgrade Information

We've tried to provide generous upgrade policies to our customers in the past and we'll continue to try to provide generous upgrades in the future including a free upgrade for Version 5 customers to Version 6.0. As mentioned in the initial V6 Beta Posting here; we updated our official upgrade policy as of Version 6 for SageTV.

The current upgrade policy provides minor version upgrades for free and a free upgrade for Version 5.0 users to Version 6.0.

The current upgrade policy therefore requires users of Version 6 to have one of the following:

1) A SageTV Media Center license key from Version 5 or higher

or

2) A SageTV Media Center license key from Version 4 or earlier AND a Version 6 upgrade key.

You will NOT need to purchase new licenses for clients, placeshifter connections or media extenders.

Linux users do not need an upgrade key; all Linux license keys purchased are still valid.

Version 6 upgrade keys can be purchased here. (they are currently priced at $39.99 as a $40 discount from the regular full price of SageTV Media Center for $79.99)

We appreciate your support and we'll try to continue to provide generous upgrade offers to loyal customers. We hope you agree we've put a lot of great things in Version 6.0 and in order to support and develop great upgrades we need to charge current customers something fair for upgrades.

Hopefully, everyone will understand we are trying to be more generous than is typical for the software industry by giving free upgrades to Version 6 for Version 5 customers.

Feel free to discuss this on this thread.

PCAlchemy Keys Issued 4/25/2006 to 9/18/2006:

The SageTV 5 Media Center keys issued by PCAlchemy between 4/25/2006 and
9/18/2006 require a special SageTV 5 Upgrade Key to work with SageTV 6 Media Center, please contact sales@pcalchemy.com for a free SageTV 5 Upgrade Key.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:58 PM
Sage Fanatic

So wait, If I want ver 6.x (even the beta) and I bought a key back in the version 3 days I need to buy and upgrade key? Is that correct?

I had a dream about this the other night, I just knew I couldn't upgrade forever for free. I don't mind, just want to be clear.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanzee
So wait, If I want ver 6.x (even the beta) and I bought a key back in the version 3 days I need to buy and upgrade key? Is that correct?

I had a dream about this the other night, I just knew I couldn't upgrade forever for free. I don't mind, just want to be clear.
Yes, in this case, you will need to buy an upgrade key to use Version 6.0 past the 15-day trial.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:07 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex
Yes, in this case, you will need to buy an upgrade key to use Version 6.0 past the 15-day trial.
Ok... now I'm a bit confused.

From the wording of the upgrade policy, it would seem Humanzee would need more than just an upgrade key.

The policy says you need either (1) a Ver 5 Key or a (2) a Ver 4 or higher key plus an upgrade key. Humanzee says he has a Ver 3 Key and therefore doesn't seem to fit into group 2. Wouldn't he have to buy a full licence? I ask as a Ver 2 licence holder. Thanks.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:07 PM
Sage Fanatic

ok, thats cool, and it seems fair to me. I don't mind giving you all a few bucks every year or two. At least its not a subscription. Besides, this way you'll be motivated to keep pumping out the improvements. Though you might also be tempted to jump major versions more quickly than usual.

I'll buy a key when I get home, or within the next couple of days anyway. I just bought another half terrabyte of storage which should be here in a couple of days so maybe then.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:08 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by haubrija
Ok... now I'm a bit confused.

From the wording of the upgrade policy, it would seem Humanzee would need more than just an upgrade key.

The policy says you need either (1) a Ver 5 Key or a (2) a Ver 4 or higher key plus an upgrade key. Humanzee says he has a Ver 3 Key and therefore doesn't seem to fit into group 2. Wouldn't he have to buy a full licence? I ask as a Ver 2 licence holder. Thanks.
I think it says ver 4 key or older
Old 10-02-2006, 05:09 PM
Sage User

Quote:
I think it says ver 4 key or older
Ah you're right... I misread it. Thanks.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:10 PM
Sage Expert

Thanks for the very generous support Narflex

We look forward to the 6.x beta process and actually supporting you guys (through purchases).

Besides you guys have mouths to feed too Progress report looks good ... downloading as we speak...
Old 10-02-2006, 05:11 PM
SageTVaholic

$29.99?

No brainer.

Just got my upgrade key via e-mail.

I'm such a junkie.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:42 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to teknubic Send a message via AIM to teknubic Send a message via MSN to teknubic Send a message via Yahoo to teknubic
Quote:
I'll buy a key when I get home, or within the next couple of days anyway. I just bought another half terrabyte of storage which should be here in a couple of days so maybe then.
Don't wait too long...
Quote:
Originally Posted by website
** This is a limited time special offer till to November 1, 2006. Normal upgrade pricing is $39.99.
http://store.sagetv.com/Merchant2/me...t_Code=STV6UPG (at the bottom)
Old 10-02-2006, 05:43 PM
Sage Advanced User

I currently have 2 SageTV Servers: One primarily for HD, the other for SD. I would need 2 upgrade keys?

Thanks
Old 10-02-2006, 05:57 PM
Sage Advanced User

What do we do if we don't remember if we bought under v3, v4, or v5???

Last edited by spike5884; 10-02-2006 at 06:42 PM.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:16 PM
Sage Advanced User

What do I do now??

Ordered my upgrade key and got:

Your Email could not be sent at this time. The following error was encountered: Error connecting to 'mail.freytechnologies.com': (209.216.213.122:25): Connection refused

No e-mail with the key in my inbox....

Guess I'll e-mail support....
Old 10-02-2006, 06:39 PM
Sage Icon

Not bad...I'm a 2.x version owner too, and I was wondering when the upgrades were going to cost me...$30 is very fair, thank you.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadams
I currently have 2 SageTV Servers: One primarily for HD, the other for SD. I would need 2 upgrade keys?
Yes, the full installations of SageTV (server) for Windows would need an upgrade key, depending on which version you purchased, as outlined in the first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike5884
What do we do if we don't remember if we bought under v4 or v5???
If you plan to use the v6 beta right now, you could simply try the beta & see what it says. If you need a license, it should fall back to trial mode. If you want to make sure beforehand & you don't have your purchase email, I suppose you should contact support.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:44 PM
Sage Aficionado

Though I purchased v5 and will get the v6 upgrade for free, I thing the upgrade price is fair. It's great to see SageTV settling on a balanced upgrade path that's affordable, yet potentially profitable. I'm a SageTV newbie, but it's things like this that really make me glad I chose it! Thanks!

HTPC: AMD ASUS M2N-E Socket AM2 Motherboard; Athlon 64 3200+ Orleans 2.0GHz; 2GB RAM; eVGA 256MB Geforce 7300LE; 1x40GB IDE HDD (OS), 2xSeagate Barracuda 320GB SATA HDD (Recordings); Antec Overture II Case; Windows XP Pro SP2; SageTV v6.5
STV: SageMC
Video sources: Currently, none. I'm using SageTV for Music, Photos, and Video playback.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:45 PM
Sage Icon

I think I purchased my server license on v4, but given what has been added, I purchased the upgrade anyway. So if I purchased on v5, then you guys just got a little more extra support from me!
Old 10-02-2006, 06:56 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
We've tried to provide generous upgrade policies to our customers in the past and we'll continue to try to provide generous upgrades in the future including a free upgrade for Version 5 customers to Version 6.0. As mentioned in the initial V6 Beta Posting here; we updated our official upgrade policy as of Version 6 for SageTV.

Feel free to discuss this on this thread.
Okay. I have a version 1.4 server, 2 version 2 clients, a version 3(?), and a placeshifter. I would have to upgrade the 1.4 and which clients? All?
Old 10-02-2006, 06:59 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jominor
I would have to upgrade the 1.4 and which clients? All?
None.

Quote:
You will NOT need to purchase new licenses for clients, placeshifter connections or media extenders.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:07 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick
None.
Well, the 1.4 server, but nothing else.