SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 07-02-2007, 10:21 AM
Sage User

How to shutdown PC except sleep or stand by( im using dedicated SageTV PC )

I want to shutdown the PC from my remote except sageTV standby. Im using dedecated PC. With Girder software.

Can some one give me a way to do it.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:43 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasanlaksiri View Post
I want to shutdown the PC from my remote except sageTV standby. Im using dedecated PC. With Girder software.

Can some one give me a way to do it.
I guess you mean putting the PC to sleep (standby) and having SageTV wakeup the PC when there's something to record or when you press a key on the remote.

take a look over here:

http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showthr...5&postcount=33
Old 07-02-2007, 11:44 AM
Sage User

Just set up a Power Option scheme on the computer (Control Panel > Power Options)

I've set up mine to go into standby power mode after 30 minutes of inactivity. SageTV will wake up the system 1 minute before the next scheduled recording. Works like a charm.

I don't know of a way to have the remote put the computer immediately into standby power mode, but you can configure the inactivity time to various values from 1 minute to 5 hours.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:09 PM
SageTVaholic

If you have hibernation disabled, you can put the computer into standby from the command line like so:

Code:
%windir%\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState
(See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555569/en-us for details.)

So to do it with the remote, you can either set up a Girder command that does this (I'm not a Girder expert so I can't help with that part) or you can use the Dynamic Main Menu plugin to add a menu item in Sage that does this.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Greg, thanks for that command.. Awesome. Also, SageMC has the ability to exit SageTV, then run a command from a menu item as well. So if you are already using it, you don't have to create a girder script.

B
Old 07-02-2007, 07:54 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'll just tag on my situation here.

I travel a lot. I use remote desktop, placeshifter, sage web server and orb. Recently tried ultra VNC and can't seem to get it working perfect. Also upgraded to Orb 2.0 and it won't work. That's the least of my problems...

I've been gone for a week and my server has either shut down, lost power or gone to sleep I placeshifted a show almost a week ago . :nono

A while back I bought a UPS that was supposed to prevent this as well as my cable STB not returning to the on state after a power outage. I've recorded many hours of blank screen unfortunately.

The only thing on the UPS is the server and the STB. I think I'm actually worse off now, because the UPS sends the computer to hibernate for some reason....weak battery or to much power...even during short transients.

I'm going to try and setup wake on lan when I get home, and tweak my power settings per this: http://www.exoid.com/?page_id=47.

The bios of my server also has an option to power up after a power outage or something...a default power on state. But I don't think the cable box does. It's Scientific Atlantic HD 3250.

What do you guys think? Would I be better off without the UPS? Maybe let the UPS keep the cable box going, and just let the computer die. Or disable Hibernation?

Is hibernation deeper than S3 state? Will WOL bring a hibernating computer out of that?

Very frustrated. Thanks.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:23 PM
Sage Advanced User

...so I just got home.

To my surprise the computer is running. It's in a locked state waiting for me to sign in again. The cable box is off, so obviously there was some kind of power issues while I was gone.

I can access my router via internet, but I can't remote desktop to my server (internet or local network) or access the web server. Way confused. Orb says my server isn't on line. Gonna try rebooting the router. It's either that, or some services on the computer didn't resume correctly.

Is there a way to remote reboot a router? I have access to it.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:22 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by akenis View Post
...so I just got home.
Is there a way to remote reboot a router? I have access to it.
If you have remote access to your router and can get to the configuration page (my router has an option to let me remotely configure it), You can toggle a setting and save the new configuration. This will do a warm boot.

If you want to do a cold boot (power off/ power on) look into X-10 home automation devices. Put your router on an appliance module to switch the power off and on. I believe they have some sort of telephone interface that allows you to call in and use touchtones to control your lights, devices, modules, etc.

http://www.x10.com/automation/index.html
Old 07-06-2007, 11:29 AM
SageTVaholic

You might want to look at something like this:

http://www.dataprobe.com/products/po...tac/index.html

This is a power switch with a Web interface that you can use to remotely power-cycle whatever's plugged into it (server, router, etc). It also has an auto-ping mode that you can set to automatically power-cycle the connected devices if the ping fails more than N times.