SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-05-2007, 11:11 AM
Sage Advanced User

Question Scheduled Windows Restart / Reboot (Shutdown -r) and Sage doesn't restart

I'm sorry in advance that this might seem like a confusing post... I decided to schedule reboot on my dedicated Sage machine at 4:59AM daily. My computer is most likely in standby at that time and I created a scheduled task that brings the computer out of standby to run:
shutdown -r
The computer is all set to go to standby after 10 minutes of inactivity so most likely it is being brought out of standby to reboot (I do have that option checked).

The hope was that a clean daily reboot would get all ready for the next day. In setup I have Sage set to start on startup.

However, both times I've allowed this command to run on the schedule I've brought the computer out of standby (maybe 9AM) and Sage is nowhere to be found. I seem to have created the opposite effect. Both times I did confirm that the reboot occurred on schedule.

Any Idea why upon forcing a scheduled reboot like this Sage either didn't start, or perhaps did start but stopped unexpectedly? If I run the job from the scheduler manually all restarts without problems. It seems to be only when the scheduler runs the job on schedule that Sage doesn't start on startup (or doesn't stay started).
Old 03-05-2007, 12:20 PM
Sage Fanatic

Hi. On a different but related note, how do you know that recording(s) are not happening when you force the daily reboot?
Old 03-05-2007, 12:33 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe123
Hi. On a different but related note, how do you know that recording(s) are not happening when you force the daily reboot?
Maybe he only records two shows a week. Why do you care?
Old 03-05-2007, 02:13 PM
Sage Advanced User

I don't care. I just want a clean boot in case for some reason Sage isn't running I was hoping to have a clean reboot (wintel) and restart Sage on startup.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:16 AM
Sage Icon

If you enable logging you should be able to see if Sage attempts to start and if so, why it fails.

No idea why it doesn't restart, but if you look at this post, there are instructions on how to run a script that checks if Sage is running and if it's not, restarts it. Of course, it needs to run at startup too...
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Clients: 3 Nvidia Shields, 3 FireTV, 3 Win10 Pro PC Clients
Old 03-08-2007, 10:21 PM
Sage Icon

reboots and auto-restart seem like band-aids.

My simple config of SageTv 5 needs no restarts/reboots. I do stop/start once a week or so, without reboot. And verify handle count and memory use before restarting Sage. (client mode).
Old 03-09-2007, 03:02 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevech View Post
My simple config of SageTv 5 needs no restarts/reboots. I do stop/start once a week or so
Isn't that like a band aid?

BTW, auto-restart of Sage is just sensible, basically doing the same as what the service would do if I used that.
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Old 03-09-2007, 12:58 PM
Sage Advanced User

Using the script in the linked thread Sage now restarts when the computer is rebooted. I'm guessing there is a problem with the computer coming out of standby just to do a reboot where somehow Sage doesn't restart on reboot. But with this script at least I now get a reboot AND Sage starting up. I'm looking online for how to add some additional features to the script such as appending a logfile with date/time when the script reloads Sage. If I get that working I'll post the script back with the additions.

I have one question: Where do these scripts actually run? I don't see them in my active program list as an application or process but it is obviously running since Sage restarts after I quit it... I see from the other thread how to kill the process with a command line (batch file) but where can I *see* the process is running.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:24 PM
Sage Icon

The process is the Windows Scripting Host, seen in Task manager as wscript.exe

Killing this process is another way of stopping the script.