SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV EPG Service
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV EPG Service Discussion related to the SageTV EPG Service used within SageTV. Questions about service area coverage, channel lineups, EPG listings, XMLTV, or anything else related to the service or programming guide data for SageTV should be posted here.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Zap2It & SageTV: Built-in data not affected; Alternatives for EPG data not included?

Did you know that Zap2It Labs will be closing down their free Data Direct service? If you've seen all the threads merged here, then yes, you've heard about it. That thread is focusing on how it affects SageTV's built-in EPG data. Oh, and a little bit of joking around.

1) How this affects SageTV's built-in EPG data

In short, it doesn't affect SageTV's built-in EPG data at all because SageTV pays for the US & Canadian data it receives & redistributes to customers. If you got your TV listings by simply choosing your provider in SageTV w/o adding any sort of EPG data plugin, then you don't need to do anything. Your TV listings will continue as before.

Edit: It doesn't matter what version of SageTV you are using. The built-in EPG data works the same.

2) How this affects non-Zap2It XMLTV data

If you are using an XMLTV plugin that gets its data from somewhere other than Zap2It, you aren't affected.

3) How this affects data from the free Zap2It Labs Data Direct service

As the announcement says, that service is set to end as of September 1, 2007.

If the EPG data you need is included in what SageTV has available in its built-in listings, simply switch your sources to use the built-in EPG data.

There are some people here who are using data from Zap2It which is not included in what SageTV has access to, such as for areas outside the US and Canada or for certain local OTA stations.

This topic is only for those affected by item #3.

For all other aspects of this topic, post here instead:
Zap2It Labs shutting down, how will this effect sagetv?

I don't know what other EPG sources are available for other countries covered by Zap2It, but this topic is here for that discussion.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:38 PM
Sage Advanced User

Question

Opus4,

How about those of us using SAGETV 5.xxx are we okay? I didn't see anything about the EPG I just entered my zipcode and picked my local CATV provider. Everything was setup auto and I get the EPG data stream.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:54 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipstir View Post
I just entered my zipcode and picked my local CATV provider. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by opus4
If you got your TV listings by simply choosing your provider in SageTV w/o adding any sort of EPG data plugin, then you don't need to do anything. Your TV listings will continue as before.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:48 PM
Sage Expert

What are the chances that Sage will decide to fill in some of the gaps in their data (specifically OTA digitals/sub-channels) due to this development? I'm not terribly fond of the idea of having half the channels in my guide say "No Data."

Old 06-22-2007, 04:40 PM
Administrator

I've heard that it is hugely expensive to add in just a little more data, otherwise it would probably all be included already.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:48 PM
Sage Advanced User

Oh okay I didn't have my reading glasses on, just saw the big text warning. Everyone on the net who has PVR programs got a shock of their lives.. I can't name who but I guess you know who they're.. SAGETV records everything I've setup and remembers what's new to record and playback is excellent on the MediaMVP.. Good investment!
Old 07-12-2007, 04:46 AM
SageTVaholic

A new group has been formed at http://easytvdata.org/ to provide a replacement to the Zap2It Labs Data Direct / XMLTV service...
Old 07-27-2007, 11:27 AM
Sage Advanced User

Question

I guess I'm still too much of a newbie to understand everything in the initial post. My apologies if this a dumb question.

I watch a lot of FTA dvb channels from C and KU band sats. Channels like the RTN's on Galaxy 10R. I entered the zip codes for the local areas those channels serve into Zap2It's website and found the station id's. I then added them to one of the pre-defined guides Sage had for my zip code. Will I still get EPG data for these channels after Sept. 1?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 07-27-2007, 03:38 PM
Administrator

The channels that SageTV has data for in the built-in EPG shouldn't be changing. So, if you are using the station IDs to get the listings now via the built-in EPG data, then it should continue.

- Andy
Old 07-27-2007, 05:47 PM
Sage Advanced User

Andy,

Thanks for the info. I do have another question for you. FTA channels come and go, so I'm always adding and deleting channels. When the free Zap2It service goes away, will there be some way of obtaining the station id's for channels through Sage?

Mike
Old 07-27-2007, 06:14 PM
Administrator

Zap2it's discontinuance of the Data Direct service doesn't affect SageTV's existing built-in EPG listings at all. This is item #1 in the first post.

And, it also doesn't end Zap2it's online listings site -- they are only ending the Data Direct service, as far as I know, so if you aren't using that for the TV listings in SageTV, then it won't affect you.

- Andy
Old 07-27-2007, 06:55 PM
Sage Advanced User

Andy,

Thanks again. When I saw Zap2It going away, I thought they meant everything. Glad to hear the web site will still be there.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:46 AM
Sage User

I am having trouble with the program schedules for 4 (of 22) Digital Over-the-air channels in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area.For two channels (23-2 & 29-2 (which are Standard resolution clones of stations 23-1 & 29-1)) I only have scheduling for 8 to 12 hours. 41-1 has only a few hours of data but 41-2 has almost 2 weeks. 45-1 now has no data, but this only started a few weeks ago. When I sent your support staff an Email to this effect, I got the following response:

"I'm assuming your are using over the air TV signals. Unfortunately the
digital channels are not included in the service we get from Zap2it. The EPG
you are getting now since it is only a day out or so is from the actual over
the air signal.

If that channel exists in another lineup, you can go to Channel Setup and
then click on Remap then "map different station to this physical channel"
and pick from a list that matches your channel.

Thanks,

George Oms
SageTV, LLC"

Needless to say, I am very confused. To me, you are saying that SageTV pays for programming data from Zap2It. George says you don't. What is the story?
Old 08-21-2008, 11:18 AM
Administrator

If this isn't mentioned above, here it is: channels that are OTA-only are not available to SageTV from Zap2it. "OTA-only" are over the air channels that are not listed on any cable or satellite lineup that SageTV has access to from Zap2it.

- Andy
Old 08-21-2008, 12:10 PM
Sage User

So you are tell me that the information I am getting on 18 of the 22 Over-the-air channels in the Minneapolis/Saint Paul area is illegal informaton and that on September 1st, 2008 all 22 channels will be in the same shape as the 4 I am currently having trouble with.

Gee, do you think I am going to purchase the SageTV HD extenders to replace my 3 Hauppauge SD Extenders?

Since there are NO analog TV over-the-air after February 2008, you are aparently going to throw away all your over-the-air customers. Is this correct?

Last edited by John.Kelly; 08-21-2008 at 12:29 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 08-21-2008, 12:26 PM
Administrator

There is no discrepancy; you simply didn't understand what I said. The EPG data SageTV gets from Zap2it doesn't include OTA-only channels. That's it. This has been discussed many times before & is nothing new.

All OTA channels that are also available via a cable or satellite lineup have their EPG data available in SageTV's built-in EPG data source. This covers most OTA channels.

Edit: No, your post didn't add "clarity", as you wrote for the reason for editing. The first version of your post was clear enough; the edited version just added an unneeded bad attitude due to your misunderstanding of the situation.

- Andy
Old 08-21-2008, 05:33 PM
Sage User

I did a full word search on the SageTV.com site, on this support site, and on Sage's version 6.3 manual. I found absolultely no information that says that there is a problem with Program Guide Information for over-the-air digital channels. For you to say that this is common knowledge is only supportable if Sage's documentation, or sites, says something about this limitation. If the information exists, where is it?
Old 08-21-2008, 05:41 PM
SageTVaholic

Can you post the call signs for the TV stations in question and your ZIP code? It should be quick enough to see if Zap2it carries those channels.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 08-21-2008, 06:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Kelly View Post
I did a full word search on the SageTV.com site, on this support site, and on Sage's version 6.3 manual. I found absolultely no information that says that there is a problem with Program Guide Information for over-the-air digital channels. For you to say that this is common knowledge is only supportable if Sage's documentation, or sites, says something about this limitation. If the information exists, where is it?
There are several existing topics about this in this forum section:

Missing EPG Data for Buffalo Digital OTA
Getting channels not listed in the guide?
HDHR just setup and now EPG has No Data
Digital channel not getting guide data
"No Data" on Channel
Missing Digital Channels

Those are just the first few I found; I got bored & stopped. But, wow... I suppose I've posted this often enough that I ought to create a FAQ for it. I'll add that to my to-do list.

I have no problem with you asking a question, but you edited out your calmer post & replaced it with one where you went overboard with ridiculous talk of "illegal information" & wrongly claiming that SageTV is "aparently going to throw away all your over-the-air customers."

- Andy
Old 08-21-2008, 06:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInMaui View Post
Can you post the call signs for the TV stations in question and your ZIP code? It should be quick enough to see if Zap2it carries those channels.
Just to clarify: what matters is whether SageTV has access to that channel's listings even if Zap2it does have the info.

But, if different station letters are being used & seen during the scan, it won't match to anything, thus tech support's suggestion to check the remap -> "map different station to this physical channel" option to see if the station is really there somewhere and simply isn't mapped properly.

- Andy