SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 05-13-2007, 06:56 PM
Sage Fanatic

Touchscreen, touchscreen, touchscreen

I want to setup a touchscreen that is actually a full computer built in the unit so I don't have to turn on the Tv every time I want to listen to music. This will be used in conjunction with a Russound distribution device so I can send music to 5 different rooms. Has anyone done this? How well do Sagetv work with a touchscreen?

3/HD-100's, 1/HD-200
Old 05-14-2007, 12:44 AM
Sage Icon

Do you want the video actually shown on that touchscreen, or would it be a fancy remote?

If remote, how do you feel about using Nielm's webserver as the control UI on that TS?
Old 05-14-2007, 01:20 PM
Sage Fanatic

Basically a fancy remote.

What will Nielm's webserver give me?

3/HD-100's, 1/HD-200
Old 05-14-2007, 01:40 PM
Sage Icon

It's pretty full-featured. I know I can use it to schedule recordings, browse through recordings, favorites, EPG. I haven't yet tried to use it to kick a recording off on another PC, something to look into.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:25 PM
Sage Icon

I blew my wife's mind the first time I was on the server (spare bedroom) and kicked off a show for her on the MVP via the webserver Then I did it another day from the laptop in the livingroom via wifi.

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:23 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemicuda View Post
I blew my wife's mind the first time I was on the server (spare bedroom) and kicked off a show for her on the MVP via the webserver Then I did it another day from the laptop in the livingroom via wifi.
Oh! You can remotely start a show on the MVP? Hell, i'm blown away! Did you just point it at the IP addr of the MVP?

Beelzerob - any way we can leverage your .jar files so we can get access to controlling the MVP?
Old 05-14-2007, 06:33 PM
Sage Advanced User

Is this getting into the whole "UI context" thing? If so, then I've heard various reports that it might be difficult....but maybe it's not quite so.

What exactly is the MVP, anyway?
Old 05-14-2007, 07:28 PM
Sage Icon

It's the little box from hauppauge that you can use instead of a fullblown client PC. Full name is MediaMVP.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:14 PM
Sage Advanced User

Well, essentially...if nielm's webserver can do it, then my java stuff can do it. Where do you think I got my learning material from?
Old 05-14-2007, 09:53 PM
Sage Icon

I don't see why this wouldn't be plug and play.

You are looking for a "Panel PC" and I wouldn't expect to use one as the server. You want to spend time looking over the video out side of the machine as they are usually Via Epia mini-ITX boards inside.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:49 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVB View Post
Oh! You can remotely start a show on the MVP? Hell, i'm blown away! Did you just point it at the IP addr of the MVP?
I hope you're pullin my leg. It's the "Webremote" feature if you click on the MVP's name/MAC on the home page or you can "Play in Extender..." from the Detailed information screen for a guide listing or recorded program.

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:50 AM
Sage Icon

whoa; i had no idea. I never touch the server, never bothered installing the webserver there until tonight. (i use it on the sagetvclient).

If beelzerob can find a way to control a $100 MVP, then this changes everything, and (in my mind) suddenly thrusts SageTV into a very very strong position vis-a-vis any other DVR package, including Vista. It would be simple to a handful of MVPs in a central location, and have truly zero equipment in a room for control.

Yo beelzerob, check it out...

Old 05-16-2007, 02:14 AM
Sage Advanced User

I think this is where my lack of depth of experience with Sage (or really any PVR software) is beginning to hurt. I'm not sure exactly what I'm supposed to be seeing there......

All I've ever done with PVR software is install it on one PC, had it record shows, and then play them back on that same PC. I've never dealt with extenders, or clients, or streaming, or an MVP.

So I guess what I'm saying is....what's all the fuss about?
Old 05-16-2007, 02:57 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVB View Post
Oh! You can remotely start a show on the MVP? Hell, i'm blown away!
yes, and stop/monitor it, and remote control it using the web-remote (click on the extender name in the home screen).

You can also give friendly names to the extenders (edit extenders.properties)

However, for a touchscreen, I would imagine that you want a second 'copy' of the sage UI on the touchscreen, but without video capabilities. I am not sure how this could be possible at present (unless you use some kind of VNC)

Last edited by nielm; 05-16-2007 at 03:00 AM.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:09 AM
Sage Advanced User

Is "web-remote" the same thing as your web server dealie, nielm? So in other words, can I use java and the Sage API to do what IVB is so excited about? (start, stop, and monitor something on the MVP)

Oh, and happy 4000th post.

Last edited by beelzerob; 05-16-2007 at 05:15 AM.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:26 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by beelzerob View Post
Is "web-remote" the same thing as your web server dealie, nielm?
the web-remote is one of the features of the webserver. You can start playback of shows from the detailed info screen, and also control the app, using a page with remote-control-like buttons.

4000+1 cool
Old 05-16-2007, 07:39 AM
Sage Advanced User

Heh..just so I understand, make it clear for me (have pity, I'm only at post 71!)....I can control what's played on the MVP using java and the Sage API?
Old 05-16-2007, 10:03 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by beelzerob View Post
I can control what's played on the MVP using java and the Sage API?
yes. You need to pass a User Interface Context to the apiUI call to indicate which MVP you want the API command to apply to.
Code:
sage.SageTV.apiUI(String uiContextName, String methodName, Object[] methodArgs)
See the API docs front page for more info...
Old 05-16-2007, 11:21 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielm View Post
However, for a touchscreen, I would imagine that you want a second 'copy' of the sage UI on the touchscreen, but without video capabilities. I am not sure how this could be possible at present (unless you use some kind of VNC)
Actually, I'd use CQC as the skin, and beg beg beg beelzerob to extend his driver so I can control it. I can already control any instance of SageTVClient I want via it, so this is a natural extension.

Not sure you've seen these screens, but I could use these to see what was most recently recorded:

Clicking on a show brings up this popup screen. Right now I only have the 1 "play show" button, but I could just as easily put "Play in Family Room (sageclient)", "Play in MBR (mvp)" buttons to address that.

I render these screens either directly on the plasma (FamRm), or on this $160 3400 in the MBR.

BTW, I certainly agree that this would be "far over the top" for just DVR, but I also do all my HA through it. In addition to any of my templates, this is my default bootup "expert" screen. We use it to set the alarm, turn lights on/off, HVAC, turn stereo on/off, pick a CD/XM, and make sure I closed all the relevant doors/gates.

Old 05-17-2007, 05:44 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielm View Post
yes. You need to pass a User Interface Context to the apiUI call to indicate which MVP you want the API command to apply to.
Code:
sage.SageTV.apiUI(String uiContextName, String methodName, Object[] methodArgs)
See the API docs front page for more info...
That's great! I'm trying to get a list of all the UI's on IVB's system via the GetUIContexts calls, I'm hoping I'll see everything I need there.

If I have more questions about this, I'll post it in a new thread, so I don't thread-jack this much more.