SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-26-2007, 06:35 PM
Sage Advanced User

Unable to browse network drives

Greetings,

I have had sage up and running now for some time and it has been working great.

Today I am attempting to setup sage as a service so I can do a client-server setup.

I had this problem before when I setup sage the first time, whenever I tried to browse to a network share using sage it would get as far as the server selection screen and there it would stop and go no further. To get around this I simply used windows to map the drive letters and all was fine, however this will not work now that I am going to a client/server setup. Here is what I have done.

1: I have a WIndows 2003 SBS setup, I saw in a previous post how to setup the group policies so that sagetv can see network shares, and this has been completed and verified.

2: I have setup the local user and the domain user with the same username and password.

3: Setup the sagetv service to run auto and verfied it is working properly.

4: verified I can connect to these shares using net neighborhood and see the data.

My question is as follows, does sage use it's own SMB software to connect to network shares, and if so does anyone know how to configure a SMB domain so that sage can see the shares.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:55 PM
Sage Aficionado

Is Sage setup to login as a "real" user, with access to the shares? The default is to login as "LocalSystem", which will not work.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:53 AM
SageTVaholic

And the service can never access mapped drives -- it can only see UNC paths...
Old 03-27-2007, 03:56 PM
Sage Advanced User

Angel - Yes I have setup a user on the domain and the local machine and they match and the service is loading properly.

I was able to manually enter the server as \\gandalf\tv1 and get it to map correctly, it simply will not browse the SMB network. I even turned off SMB signing on the Domain Controller.

I would have to think this is a bug in the software, it must be using some sort of SMB client of its own instead of the imbedded one in windows xp.

I was able to get it all working and move the drives and recordings without a problem.

I will throw this up on the bug reports and see what kind of response it gets.

Thanks for all of the help.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:52 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkyjoe View Post
Angel - Yes I have setup a user on the domain and the local machine and they match and the service is loading properly.

I was able to manually enter the server as \\gandalf\tv1 and get it to map correctly, it simply will not browse the SMB network. I even turned off SMB signing on the Domain Controller.

I would have to think this is a bug in the software, it must be using some sort of SMB client of its own instead of the imbedded one in windows xp.

I was able to get it all working and move the drives and recordings without a problem.

I will throw this up on the bug reports and see what kind of response it gets.

Thanks for all of the help.
And do you have that domain user login for the service and does that user have a password and does the user have administrator privileges?

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:38 PM
SageTVaholic

You could try a different JCIFS library here it may or may not help. Just make sure you move the SageTV version somewhere else. I don't suggest you just delete it and renaming it will not work. You can only have one in the JARs subdirectory. I suggest 1.1.11 as I tried that and SageTV does work with it and it is still newer than the one SageTV uses - at least if you go by version number.

Edit: I take that back 1.1.11 may not be compatible after all. I just tried it again and checked the log and am getting errors from 1.1.11 with SageTV version 6.1.4 on my client. So definitely save the original and restore it if another version doesn't help.

Last edited by BobPhoenix; 03-27-2007 at 07:10 PM. Reason: for update on 1.1.11
Old 03-27-2007, 08:01 PM
Sage Advanced User

Gplasky; Yes to all.

It is an actual domain user called sagetv, local user sagetv, has admin privs on server and workstation.

I even tried the administrator account and no difference.

And yes the service uses a user account not the local system.

Still no luck, no biggie as the unc name works well it just wont browse.

No internal firewalls or AV on that system, I have been a network engineer for over 15 years so my t's are crossed and my i's are dotted.

Never hurts to check again and I have.

Again I appreciate all the input and am still open to suggestions.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:26 AM
Sage Aficionado

I've seen this as well. Once upon a time, if you went all the way up in the drive structure, you'd get a Network button. Clicking that would show all the machines with shares on. You could select the machine and find your directory. This worked on the server and the clients. Now, you don't always get the Server button and, if you do, it just turns grey when you click it. All of my folders are specified as UNC paths and my server service uses a user account. I'm not sure when this broke for me. Maybe when I started the 6.1 Beta taril, I don't know. I just specify now (as I know my network).
Old 03-28-2007, 02:39 AM
SageTVaholic

Which Sage version and Java version are you running... There was a bug in V5 and earlier that meant that SMB browsing did not work with Java 1.4... (fixed in 6.0.16)
Old 03-28-2007, 08:03 AM
Sage Aficionado

It may help to turn on failure audits for object access on the pc doing the sharing (sounds like you know how to do this already) and see whether you get any security events when attempting to browse.

It's a bit extreme but you might try editing local policy/Security Settings/Local Policies/Security Options/

Set Accounts: Guest account status to Enabled

Then allow the guest account whatever rights required on the share and on the file system. Depends on who else is on your network whether this would be extremely disturbing or just rather disturbing *hopes this is another client pc that we're talking about accessing*

Hmm. Maybe the "Network access: Let Everyone permissions apply to anonymous users" policy might help. I don't remember what i've change on my pc any more sorry

Mick.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:25 PM
Sage Advanced User

I am running 6.019 I believe and Java 6

I first noticed it after upgrading to 6.019 but attributed it to the fact that I installed my small business server.

One thing I have noticed.

I removed the recording drives and placed them into my server, I have an addonics 3to5 serial ata drive housing that lets you turn 5 serial ata drives on thier side to fit into 3 5 1/4 drive bays and hot swap them I love this thing!

Makes it easier to keep all the videos etc in one controlled location.

Anyway the problems I was having with re-booting etc are gone, the data streams across the network and works like a charm, now I am able to share the recordings with Modded XBoxes I have in the bedrooms. This was my goal.

I also got rid of my stuttering issues as well as my SPDIF issues by following the excellent thread on stuttering.

I have to say the entire family loves sage, and I have used them all. It has some minor annoyances but we love it.

I will keep looking for a solution and if I havent found one by the end of the week I will submit a formal support request.

Thanks for the help and keep any helpful suggestions coming.