SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-15-2005, 10:34 PM
Sage Advanced User

extender mvp stuck

my mvp just sits at "loading application" forever.
I have enabled all the right ports in xp firewall, I have configured my server/service properly... I'm not sure what else I need to do... to me, the mvp extender is a real huge huge huge improvement to sage... if only i could get it going!!!

do i need to upgrade firmware on my mvp?
XP Pro SP2, P4 2.6 ghz, 1GB RAM, 2 X 80GB seagate serial ATA barracuda HDDs,2 X 160 GB samsung silent parallel ATA HDDs, antec sonata v1.1, msi gforce 6600gt vivo, hpage pvr150, sagetv v5, harmony remote, hauppauge media mvp, USB UIRT, Bell Expressvu
Old 12-15-2005, 10:51 PM
Administrator

You said you enabled the Media Extender Server in Detailed Setup -> Advanced?

Is there any other MVP software running on any of your PCs? Perhaps the Hauppauge software?

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:51 PM
Sage Advanced User

i should add that my mvp is older... i didnt buy it as part of a sage bundle
XP Pro SP2, P4 2.6 ghz, 1GB RAM, 2 X 80GB seagate serial ATA barracuda HDDs,2 X 160 GB samsung silent parallel ATA HDDs, antec sonata v1.1, msi gforce 6600gt vivo, hpage pvr150, sagetv v5, harmony remote, hauppauge media mvp, USB UIRT, Bell Expressvu
Old 12-15-2005, 10:53 PM
Sage Advanced User

hi opus, no, no toher software running... i never used the hauppauge stuff, as I originally bought it to use Matt's... then never did that because I have been to busy to do the setup.

the idea of extender license and v4.1 intrigued me so I impulse bought it tonite

still cant get it going... I've even completely turned off xp firewall
Old 12-15-2005, 11:26 PM
Administrator

Your network is using a DHCP server so the MVP can get an address? If it never gets to any sort of SageTV splash screen or menu, it sounds like it isn't connecting at all.

If you've never tried the Hauppauge software, it might be worth seeing if that works first. I've had no problems w/my MVP (bought it last Dec/Jan), so I'm not sure what else to say.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:53 AM
Sage Icon

I've been messing with my MVP and the boot order is something like this:

ethernet connection, DHCP, locating an mvp,bootserver, then "loads application". AFter a minute or so, then the Sage screen should pop up.

It appears that he is getting some sort of connectivity and starts loading an app from somewhere, but never completing it.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:56 AM

Run the Command Prompt type ipconfig enter are you show more then ethernet show?, If your seeing Microsoft TV/Video Connection try disable it.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:18 AM
SageTVaholic

Make sure to unplug the power adapter from the MVP. Just don't power it off with the remote. Also look in your router and make sure the MVP got an IP address. You should be able to see all of your PCs/devices with their IP address. You should be able to connect to your router with your web browser or run the admin software that came with it.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:02 AM
Sage Icon

On the MVP plugin I had to reduce my network to 10 half duplex for it to connect. Others have had to as well. Is this the same case for Sage's version. You might want to try that .
JUC
Server: Athlon 2000XP; 1GB Kingston Ram; 250GB Seagate; 160GB Seagate; 160GB Western Digital; Lite-on DVD player; Hauppauge Rosyln; Hauppauge PVR-150; ATI AIW 7500; Actisys 200L; running stock v5 .stv

Client: MVP Extender running SageMC
Old 12-16-2005, 08:10 AM
Sage Advanced User

Hi, yes the device is getting IP 192.168.0.102 from my dhcp server.
I see this in my router info web page.
I can even ping it.(the mvp).

but it just sits at loading application forever.
actually after sitting at "loading" for about 1-2 minutes, it seems to go into some kind of cycle
"contacting DHCP", "contacting bootserver"... almost as if it is soft booting itself due to the application load failure.

I will try the hauppauge software next I guess.
what a disappointment!
FYI- I have completely turned off the XP SP2 firewall
Old 12-16-2005, 08:44 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoehlke
Hi, yes the device is getting IP 192.168.0.102 from my dhcp server.
I see this in my router info web page.
I can even ping it.(the mvp).

but it just sits at loading application forever.
actually after sitting at "loading" for about 1-2 minutes, it seems to go into some kind of cycle
"contacting DHCP", "contacting bootserver"... almost as if it is soft booting itself due to the application load failure.

I will try the hauppauge software next I guess.
what a disappointment!
FYI- I have completely turned off the XP SP2 firewall
Without reading the previous posts, I can almost guarantee that it is a networking issue?

How many switches/routers do you have? Which models? Did you check your routers log to see if it is blocking certain ports (via SPI)? What do you have your NIC card set to on the server (Full/Half/Auto?)

Help me narrow it down.... I've been up and down with the MVP (from the original software to the original BTV mod to Matt's client to ...) I've found that with most things it will be fairly simple to fix when we get the meat of the matter...

-Jason
Old 12-16-2005, 08:48 AM
Sage Icon

like i mentioned earlier, try dropping your network bandwith just to see if it connects.
Server: Athlon 2000XP; 1GB Kingston Ram; 250GB Seagate; 160GB Seagate; 160GB Western Digital; Lite-on DVD player; Hauppauge Rosyln; Hauppauge PVR-150; ATI AIW 7500; Actisys 200L; running stock v5 .stv

Old 12-16-2005, 09:13 AM
Sage Advanced User

I just tried the haup software... it didnt do anything either.
the mvp model is rev D3A... if that matters... and on the MVP boot screen it says rev 1.0

the "loading application" bar seems to be a status bar... but I never see it growing... maybe it isnt animated... I dont know.

The back of the unit shows 1 orange LED on near the ethernet jack, and a green LED blinks every so often... pretty sparsely. I assume that is the activity LED.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:19 AM
Sage Advanced User

Hi guys... what a great bunch... nice to see you all dig in to help me out !

My network set up is:

Server: connected to a dlink di 604 wired broadband router.

This router, also connects to my broadband modem, and then also connects to a dlink dss5+ switch upstairs.
From the switch, one port goes to a dlink wireless AP model 7100(I think thats the model) and then another port on the switch goes to the MVP.

Note I am not using Matt's plugin, I am using sage v4.1 and the integrated MVP support.

I do know that the MVP is getting an IP, as i mentioend above. I am not sure how to drop the speed on the port of the router and I know I cannot drop the speed of the ports on the switch , as it's pretty much a dumb device, no configuration.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:38 AM
SageTVaholic

Pull the AC adapter on the MVP. Reboot the Sage server. Plug AC adapter back into the MVP. This worked for me before.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:54 AM
Sage Icon

i'm not sure how you would drop the speed on one port--but just go into your properties for the network connection---and drop it there for the whole system-just to see if it works. If it does, you can try to figure a way to bring the rest of the ports back up to speed. I don't know why this is, but i could not connect at 100 full/half duplex mode. I had to drop it to 10 half duplex which really stinks. Mind you, this was with the Matt's plugin.
JUC

--hope you get this working because right after work i am going to try it out and I hope i dont' run into the same problem.

Old 12-16-2005, 09:55 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason
Without reading the previous posts, I can almost guarantee that it is a networking issue?

How many switches/routers do you have? Which models? Did you check your routers log to see if it is blocking certain ports (via SPI)? What do you have your NIC card set to on the server (Full/Half/Auto?)

Help me narrow it down.... I've been up and down with the MVP (from the original software to the original BTV mod to Matt's client to ...) I've found that with most things it will be fairly simple to fix when we get the meat of the matter...

-Jason
I doubt it is a network layer issue.

I am having the exact same issue, and found the answer. I was running the Windows Firewall. After I disabled the firewall, the extender finished the loading application screen, and finally came up to the menu. While my existing clients connect fine with the firewall enabled, the extender will not. My quess is it is using a different port that we need to enable, or something of that nature. Opus can you find out? I even tried removing SageTV from the authorized program list, and letting the firewall refind and insert it. Still did not work. But disable the firewall and up it comes. Also I noticed that the CPU on the server spikes and stays spiked when the extender trys to load the application and the firewall is enabled. Again disabling the firewall and the extender connects, and the CPU barely moves.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:09 AM
Sage Advanced User

ok, some progress... the hauppauge software now works... I think it was the drop to 10mb half duplex that did it.

as I said, I have completely turned off XP Sp2 firewall.

the only other thign that may have done it is that I disabled "microsfot loopback adapter" in my network connectinos list... but I doubt that made the difference. It was probably the duplex setting on the NIC on the server that did it.

BUT... sage is not working via the extender... only the hauppuage software is.
I am going to try to kill the hauppauge service again and try sage again but I dont expect anything exciting to happen... will report back momentarily.

PS- it really stinks that you have to go half duplex 10MB to use this!
Old 12-16-2005, 10:13 AM
Sage Advanced User

no luck... it now sits at "contacting media mvp bootserver" when the haup software is NOT running and sage IS running (with extender enabled in sage setup).

i dont know why... there shouldnt be anything in the way now... especially since the hauppauge software works.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:14 AM
SageTVaholic

If the hauppuage software works now so will Sage. The hauppuage software must NOT be running for the Sage MVP to work. You should probably uninstall it or at least take it out of the Startup folder. I think it puts it there by default.

Gerry

EDIT-OK so I type slow.