SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-17-2007, 02:37 PM
Sage Advanced User

Need help getting Sage to see my network drives

I had a previous install of SageTV where I directed SageTV to use imported media from other computers on my network, but recently I have re-installed SageTv and I forgot how I set that up because I am having such a hard time getting Sage to actually see my network resources.

If I browse via the folders going up to the root, then clicking the Network folder Sage properly finds the other 3 computers on the network and displays them. However when I try clicking OK on any of them, nothing happens. It does not start browsing that computer's folders.

The alternative is I tried "Specify" and typed in a network resource, like "\\Server\video" where some video files are stored. And Sage cant find it and asks if I want to create it. Typing that into Explorer it opens the video folder no problem, doesnt prompt me to log in either. I even explicitly set that folder as shared under Windows, with permission set to Everyone. Still Sage cant get to it.

Please someone tell me how to set this up its getting really frustrating
Old 02-17-2007, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Are you using service mode? If so, don't forget to configure the service to log in as a user with a password, or else it won't be able to access UNC paths.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:38 PM
Sage Aficionado

Hi vorious,

If you are running sage as a service then you may need to configure the service to run with a user account rather than the default system account to be able to access the shares. You can change this from services.msc or the SageTVServiceControl.

I recently experienced a problem after replacing my Windows 2000 Small Business Server with SBS 2003. I could access remote shares from windows using the same account that the sage service was using however sage was unable to connect to any remote shares. It appears (to me) that sage implements it's own smb code rather than using windows to access shares. Small business server 2003 had used group policy to lock down network security on all of my machines.

Editing a few settings in the default domain policy allowed sage to access shares on other domain pc's.

Default Domain Policy/Computer Configuration/Windows Settings/Security Settings/Local Policies/Security Options;

• Digitally sign client communications (always) - disabled
• Digitally sign server communications (always)- disabled
• Digitally sign server communications (when possible) - disabled
• LAN Manager Authentication Level set to Send LM and NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated - (default) send LM & NTLM responses
• Secure channel: Digitally encrypt or sign secure channel data (always) - disabled
• Secure channel: Require strong (Windows 2000 or later) session key - disabled

I think these were the only policies that I needed to change (I was mucking about with this for a while tho so may have changed some others )

There's an article at microsoft that discusses compatibility problems with different clients.

Client, service, and program incompatibilities that may occur when you modify security settings and user rights assignments

Mick.