SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV EPG Service
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV EPG Service Discussion related to the SageTV EPG Service used within SageTV. Questions about service area coverage, channel lineups, EPG listings, XMLTV, or anything else related to the service or programming guide data for SageTV should be posted here.

Old 03-26-2007, 03:26 AM
Sage User

Send a message via ICQ to frumbert
force update of epg data?

I'd like for force Sage to update my EPG data. The information entitled "Can I force the Guide to be updated any sooner?" I found on this thread does not work for me.

- I'm using Sage 6.0.13.1.
- I use SageTV XMLTV Importer version 1.0 as my xmltv grabber.
- I don't know what I'm doing with config files or how the program stores data, so you need to really spell things out in clear language.

Is there a plug in or something that I can use that just forces a re-load of my xmltv guide data?
Old 03-26-2007, 03:53 AM
SageTVaholic

It normally does work - check Setup/Help/System Information/Last EPG update/next EPG update -- if next ==0 then the update is still running...

Your second question is answered in the FAQ link you posted.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:33 AM
Sage User

err - do you mean the web server plug in? can I operate that with my remote? or did you mean something else?

and next does = 0 - but it has been saying that for hours now. How long does an update take? what is an update anyway?

Last edited by frumbert; 03-26-2007 at 06:39 AM.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:14 AM
SageTVaholic

If next has been saying 0 for some time (and you do not have an infinite number of channels )then the import has probably failed... Check the sage logging (see the faq on how to enable), and/or the importer logging -- it may be that your XMLTV data has problems..

An Update from Sage's point of view is asking the EPG importer for the updated data. What happens then is up to the importer.

In my case (I do not use the importer that you do) the importer plugin reads the XMLTV file on disk and adds the contents to Sage's DB. I believe that the one you use can also fire off XMLTV itself to grab the updated data first...
Old 03-26-2007, 08:11 AM
Sage User

My importer can (and does) do a download from the source before getting sage to do an update. I can open up the xml file it downloads which opens in the browser, and I see that it lists tv shows and times and other stuff, and looks like it has about a weeks worth of listings in it. it runs through a system of importing line ups into sage. the files in the 3rdpartyguidedata folder get updated - I can delete them and my importer will recreate them. but then there's nothing I can do in sage (fiddling with channels, restarting the system, changing lineups, disabling and then reenabling cards) which triggers an internal update or whatever it is that means the built in tv guide shows data. worked for months, and then it stopped. I can't think of anything that has changed - it just stopped.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:59 AM
SageTVaholic

there is probably a problem in the xml file, perhaps a badly encoded character... Check the logs..
Old 03-26-2007, 04:41 PM
Sage User

here's the logs that were created after I enabled logging and ran through an attempted forced update of the epg.

I don't know what I am supposed to be looking for in it. It all looks like gobbldegook to me.
Attached Files
File Type: txt sagetv_0.txt (92.4 KB, 474 views)
Old 03-27-2007, 04:04 AM
SageTVaholic

Code:
Tue 3/27 8:36:41.659 Error loading EPG Import Plugin of:java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: xmltv.XMLTVImportPlugin
...later...
Tue 3/27 8:38:01.617 EPG attempting to expand XMLTV Lineup
Tue 3/27 8:38:03.600 Error updating with EPG Plugin:java.lang.NullPointerException
For some reason, you do not have an XMLTV plugin installed -- try reinstalling it.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:12 AM
Sage User

well how could that happen? I deleted the previous Sage install (was using 5) and set up version 6 a few weeks ago. The EPG seemed to be working properly - but it does have a week or two's worth of guide data, so it may have fallen over long ago. I haven't installed any other plugins, but I do run a custom skin (iSkin) - that's the only customisation I've made.

How do I install the xmltv plugin? Doesn't that just come built in?
Old 03-27-2007, 04:24 AM
SageTVaholic

When you deleted your V5 install, you probably also deleted your XMLTV plugin (which you must have installed yourself at one point -- it is not built-in).

To reinstall it ... follow the link in your first post

(Ps you don't need to delete a previous install to upgrade).
Old 03-27-2007, 08:07 AM
Sage User

I had the same problem

Hi
I had the exactly same problem as frumbert.
But after the tip from nielm, I reinstalled XMLTV Importer (not the plugin) with the latest version and configured (2.2) it to use the web-plugin.
It seams to work now.
Lets see after 24h if it updates automaticly.

Thanks

/Ansy
Old 03-27-2007, 04:43 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by frumbert View Post
How do I install the xmltv plugin? Doesn't that just come built in?
As I see you are using my XMLTV Importer, just download the latest version (the 1.0 is not compatible with SageTV version 6), shutdow SageTV, uninstall the XMLTV Importer and install the new version, restart SageTV and do the Import and force the EPG update (either by disabling / enabling a channel in your lineup directly in SageTV or by using Nielm's Web Server plugin. Note : the XMLTV Importer can now use the Web Server to force the EPG update during automated XMLTV Import).

This will recreate what's may be missing in SageTV :

* copy the java classes
* edit the sage.properties file

Regards,
Stéphane.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:47 AM
Sage User

Hi Stéphane,

This has done the trick! Your program is great, by the way!

Incedentally, in the program set up I tried to point the Grabber Executable at webget.exe and put in the parameters, but got an error (I think it was "Unable to save file"). So I pointed at a batch file which does exactly the same command line options and it works. Is this a problem with the app, or is it a webget thing do you think? It's not a big issue since the batch file method works for me.

Thanks for your assistance both Stéphane and neilm.

-- Tim
Old 03-28-2007, 09:18 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by frumbert View Post
I tried to point the Grabber Executable at webget.exe and put in the parameters, but got an error (I think it was "Unable to save file"). So I pointed at a batch file which does exactly the same command line options and it works. Is this a problem with the app, or is it a webget thing do you think?
I don't know, I will issue an updated version of the Importer and will check if there is anything wrong with the grabber launch. But it your batch file is working don't change anything

Regards,
Stéphane.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:16 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielm View Post
Code:
Tue 3/27 8:36:41.659 Error loading EPG Import Plugin of:java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: xmltv.XMLTVImportPlugin
...later...
Tue 3/27 8:38:01.617 EPG attempting to expand XMLTV Lineup
Tue 3/27 8:38:03.600 Error updating with EPG Plugin:java.lang.NullPointerException
For some reason, you do not have an XMLTV plugin installed -- try reinstalling it.
I had the same problem, a NullPointerException. (Seen in Sagetv_0.txt when debug_logging=TRUE in Sage.properties)

The reason the problem happened was probably that the JRE on your machine automatically updated from say jre1.5.0_06 to jre1.5.0_11. The jars were in the jre1.5.0_06\lib\ext directory, but they don't get moved to the new jre1.5.0_11\lib\ext location after an automatic java upgrade.

For me, simply copying the 3 jars over to the new JRE directory did the trick. No re-installing or removing of video sources necessary.

ie. Unzip jars.zip (that comes with Zap2It) or copy the 3 jars from your old JRE directory into the lib\ext directory of your new Java JRE install e.g. C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_11\lib\ext

("jars.zip" can be found here: http://www.digicasa.com/prod_sagetv_plugin.htm)

Cheers,
Julian.