SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 02-25-2007, 07:36 PM
Sage Icon

Red face Remote Control Question From My Wife

While watching live TV my wife casually stated; "You know what would be really great on this SageTV Remote? A button that lets me flip back and forth between the current and last channel” ... This came to mind as she flipped back and forth between QVC and the pre-Oscar show ... She had to input the same channels over and over. She got use to being able to do this because we have a button on our regular TV remote that does just that. I never really considered it before, but it would certainly improve the WAF around my house, so I thought I would ask ...

Is there a canned Sage command to flip back and forth between the current and last channels? If not, I am using the Firefly remote with Girder. Is there any way of making it happen through Girder?

Thanks, T.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:33 PM
Sage Icon

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyt
Is there a canned Sage command to flip back and forth between the current and last channels? If not, I am using the Firefly remote with Girder. Is there any way of making it happen through Girder?
There is a "Previous Channel" command in SageTV. So it's just a matter of mapping this command to the "Back" button of the Firefly (or another one).

You have two choices :

* either make the Firefly send a keyboard shortcut and tell SageTV that you will use this shortcut for "Previous Channel"

* Or make the Firefly send a message to SageTV, with the lParam equal to 60

I don't know how you would do it with Girder, but it should be easy (you can also have a look at my alternative software if you want, it's very easy to change what a button does).

Regards,
Stéphane.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:33 PM
SageTVaholic

There's a Previous Channel command (p. 200 of the V6 manual). I don't know offhand if any of the standard remote profiles have a button mapped to it, but it's easy enough to map one in Detailed Setup.

Edit: Not quick enough. I even used Preview to make sure.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:22 PM
Sage Expert

How about just not watching live tv?

(And watching QVC is a lot cheaper if you time-shift it!)
Old 02-26-2007, 12:53 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike
How about just not watching live tv?

(And watching QVC is a lot cheaper if you time-shift it!)
Yep ... I'm all about that ... I very rarely watch Live TV anymore. I watch what I want, when I want ... That being said ... The little lady bounces back and forth between live and recorded more than I.

As for QVC ... Time shifting won't help, they have a web page too ... I think I own one of those three letters by now!! That's OK though, she's not really out of control ... And she doesn't complain when I buy all my geek gadgets ...

And THANKS! Stéphane and Greg ... I will try your suggestions ...
Old 02-26-2007, 09:43 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyt
As for QVC ... Time shifting won't help, they have a web page too ...
What? When they're "out" they aren't really sold out?

Beyond what you requested (and others suggested), DTivos had a nice feature where you could pause live TV and then switch tuners. I used to use that to watch two football games at once. It would be nice if Sage had that feature. Rather than a prior channel feature, you'd need a prior recording feature, so you could toggle between recordings.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:26 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike
Beyond what you requested (and others suggested), DTivos had a nice feature where you could pause live TV and then switch tuners. I used to use that to watch two football games at once. It would be nice if Sage had that feature. Rather than a prior channel feature, you'd need a prior recording feature, so you could toggle between recordings.
Try it -- the Previous Channel command actually switches between the current & previous media, whether that is TV, video, or music. If you want to switch between 2 live TV shows, you should make them both manual recordings if they weren't already in the schedule.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.