SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 02-20-2007, 08:54 PM
Sage Advanced User

Stuttering back with 6.1.3RC

Looks like the stuttering is back, not as bad as it had been from time to time, still trying to sort out what exactly is happening.

Think I may have to go back to step one and start uninstalling / reinstalling codecs, etc.

May also try recording direct from the HDHR to another PC and try playing that recording, just to take SageTV out of it. Then maybe put the recording back into SageTV as an import.

I don't know - feels like grasping at straws sometimes
Old 02-20-2007, 09:23 PM
Sage Aficionado

In contrast to another posting of mine I'll say that the stutter is better, however I noticed that when it did start doing that my memory usage had shot through the roof.

I managed to get 1.5 gigs of swap going in addition to the 1 gig of ram and the computer really got slow. It seems that it happens after watching hd, but I'm still tracking down what happens.

I did submit a bug report, I suggest you do so as well. Tell them of the stuttering and check your memory usage just in case.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:06 AM
Sage User

I have more HD studdering on 6.1 too. If I watch a show (American Idol for example) through WMP it's fine, but Sage has a little video pause every 10 seconds or so. I noticed some differences on the nvidia decoder properties page while playing the same file in each player:

plays good (WMP):

Display Type: Anamorphic
Hardware Acceleration Enabled
De-interlace: Automatic
Overscan 0%
->Bitrate:Very Steady at about 15Mbps
->Video Format: Anaporphic
->Decoder Format: DirectX VA mode A(idct) -Video Mixing
Deinterlace Mode: Best avail
Enhanced nView: Prefer Overlay

Not so good (Sage)
Overscan 0%
->Bitrate:bounces around between 9 - 15
->Video Format: bounces between nothing and Anaporphic
->Decoder Format: DirectX VA mode A(idct)- Video Overlay

Sage is set for Overlay and Nvidia Audio/video
If I open the file in graphedit
File-NvidiaDemux-Nvidia Vid decoder-Video Renderer
\--Nvidia Audio Decoder-AC3--Default direct sound

I'l open a bug too.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:14 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonessc
I have more HD studdering on 6.1 too. If I watch a show (American Idol for example) through WMP it's fine, but Sage has a little video pause every 10 seconds or so. I noticed some differences on the nvidia decoder properties page while playing the same file in each player:

plays good (WMP):

Overscan 0%
->Bitrate:Very Steady at about 15Mbps
->Video Format: Anaporphic
->Decoder Format: DirectX VA mode A(idct) -Video Mixing

Not so good (Sage)
Overscan 0%
->Bitrate:bounces around between 9 - 15
->Video Format: bounces between nothing and Anaporphic
->Decoder Format: DirectX VA mode A(idct)- Video Overlay

Sage is set for Overlay and Nvidia Audio/video
If I open the file in graphedit
File-NvidiaDemux-Nvidia Vid decoder-Video Renderer
\--Nvidia Audio Decoder-AC3--Default direct sound

I'l open a bug too.
You're comparing WMP using VMR7 to Sage using Overlay. You need to be comparing apples to apples when troubleshooting.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:29 AM
Sage Fanatic

take nvidia audio decoders out of the mix and the stutter will go away for all but the most stubborn channels (cbs is that channel for me)

i switched to using only ac3 filter now and have no stutters on any HD channel except CBS and even then it's now very watchable whereas before it wasn't.

the only dowbside to AC3filter is that whenever you upgrade sage to new version, sage install hoses your previous AC3filter settings and it's a bit of a nuisance. i really wish could be handled by asking in the install screen if you wish to install it and the other codecs.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:44 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade
You're comparing WMP using VMR7 to Sage using Overlay. You need to be comparing apples to apples when troubleshooting.
Thanks, I was curious what that meant. Any tips on how to set WMP to Overlay? I have the decoder set to prefer overlay, but I guess that's not good enough.

Since the file I'm working with is one of the worst ones I have seen in a while, I was wondering if it's maybe just a capture that has more garbage in it that most. This is a QAM capture via an HDHomerun.
I'm going to see if a quick stream fix via VideoRedo cleans it up enough for sage to handle it. Maybe the Sage demuxer has more of a hard time with junk than the Nvidia one. Just a shot in the dark though.