SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 02-19-2007, 07:03 AM
Sage User

Connecting to an MVP with SageTV and Vista

I'm currently dual-booting Windows XP SP2 and Windows Vista Ultimate.

In Windows XP SP2, I've got SageTV 6.0.19 and my wired MVP successfully talking to each other, and everything is fine.

In Windows Vista Ultimate, my MVP can find the network, but in the third MVP setup screen (where you select a GUI server) I get a message saying that it could not get an IP address.

I've switched Network Discovery on in the Network control panel, and I've temporarily disconnected from the internet and turned Windows firewall off, to test whether it's a firewall issue, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Has anybody successfully connected SageTV in Vista to their MVP? If so, can you remember how you did it, and what settings you changed?

Steve.

Last edited by sjgore; 02-19-2007 at 07:50 AM.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:08 AM
Sage Expert

Send a message via ICQ to Motofreak75
turn off TCP scaling in vista, by default it is turned on unlike XP etc..

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/1744/...ary_dns_server
Old 02-19-2007, 11:25 AM
Sage User

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, I am not offered the option to turn off TCP scaling (as illustrated in the link that you provided).

The error message I'm getting on my MVP is actually "No streaming server found!"

(I said in my first post it was IP address-related, but now that I've got home and checked, it's actually the above message... sorry for misleading people!)

So I'm therefore assuming that my MVP has found the network and connected, and that it just can't find the GUI server?

Steve.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:55 PM
Sage Expert

now it sounds like you don't have enough ports open. have you disabled the firewall (for testing purposes ? ) if not, you have to make sure what firewall profile your using? Once thats done, you have to make sure the both inbound & out bound rules are open for Sagetv.exe. What I found a few weeks ago is, if you allow sagetv pass the firewall (when the popup happens) this will only allow inbound connections. But when I looked into the out-bound rules. it didn't allow sagetv.exe to send anything out ( it wasn't listed). Since my vista machine is behind a hardware firewall thats setup correctly, I just disabled the built-in firewall in Vista and turned off Windows Defender.

(& just for $hits and giggles)

While I was at it, I disables UAC & disabled the User control policy that made Admin users as standard users.

I hope I can point you in the right direction. But for testings purposes, I would enable your firewall and test the creating rules with the in bound and out bound rules, posted on this forum in the FAQ section.

I have been running with Vista Ultimate OEM and my MVP with no issues on the latest RC releases. & version 6 aswell

Last edited by Motofreak75; 02-19-2007 at 12:59 PM.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:42 PM
Sage User

I tried all the suggestions in the above post, and I still get a "No streaming server found!" message on the MVP.

But I've discovered that if I have the SageTV application open and running on my PC (together with the SageTV service running in the background), then my MVP will connect and run perfectly! If I close the SageTV application on my PC, my MVP will no longer connect, and I'm back to the "No streaming server found!" message.

In Windows XP, I only need the SageTV service to be running, not the actual SageTV application itself.

I wonder why this appears not to be the case in Vista? (Or at least, with my setup?)

Steve.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:30 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjgore
In Windows XP, I only need the SageTV service to be running, not the actual SageTV application itself.
Are you sure the service is running?

Marneb
Old 02-20-2007, 03:32 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Are you sure the service is running?
Yes, definitely. It has a status of 'Started' in both the Services app in Adminstator Controls, and in the SageTV Service app.

My guess is that the MVP can't see the service because of a security feature in Vista that is not present in XP.

Steve.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:05 AM
Sage Expert

you have to make sure that you look in both in-bound and out-bound policys for listing for sagetv.exe or manual add the rules to the server IP address for the ports needed to run the MVP. Vista has an outbound firewall unlike XP. So if Sage isn't listed in the out bound rules, then your MVP will not connect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAQ
Q: What ports do I need to open in my firewall for using the Hauppauge MediaMVP as a SageTV Media Extender?

A: Several...

The following ports are used for the MVP as a Media Extender:
UDP:
16867 (for booting the MVP)
16869 (for booting the MVP)
31100 (for discovering the SageTV server after boot)
TCP:
Old 02-20-2007, 10:27 AM
Sage User

Quote:
you have to make sure that you look in both in-bound and out-bound policys for listing for sagetv.exe or manual add the rules to the server IP address for the ports needed to run the MVP. Vista has an outbound firewall unlike XP. So if Sage isn't listed in the out bound rules, then your MVP will not connect.
If I switch the firewall off completely, the MVP still won't connect. Even when the firewall has been on, I have got all the correct inbound and outbound rules.

I'm pulling my hair out! But thanks for all the sugestions so far!

Steve.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:05 PM
Sage Expert

Its seems there is somethings going on, prehaps posting some debug logs or I would contact support.