SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-11-2006, 03:33 PM
Sage Advanced User

SageTV and Vista

Hi,
I installed the new Windows Vista and tried SageTV.
I get no sound and when I play a video I see the first few seconds and then the video get stuck.
Music is fine and I can hear songs.

I know SageTV isn't designed for Vista but anyone has a clue what could be the problem?

Thanks,
orky7
Old 06-13-2006, 05:04 PM
Sage Fanatic

I's probably a decoder problem, best bet is to see if anyone has any kind of MPEG2 decoder that works with the very very BETA version of Vista. I downloaded the beta version of Vista from MS the other day so I'll probably be trying it out soon myself.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:22 PM

It should work
Old 06-13-2006, 07:41 PM
Sage Icon

Works fine on my system, nvidia codecs (I think that's what I have installed, I'd have to check it though).

I'd also not say Vista is very very beta, if you'd been on the earlier betas, it's actually a very stable system comparably. I've even converted my Dell lappy over to Vista full time (Vista B2 & Office 2007 beta, runs veyr well). Only problem so far I've seen is that it runs my lappy's battery down faster (and they are working on that).
Old 06-13-2006, 08:10 PM
Sage Fanatic

Even though MS denies it, they are rewriting major portions of it - mainly the MCE portion. That to me makes this very very beta - due to the fact that some parts haven't even been thought of yet.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:27 PM
Sage Icon

That is flat out not true. MCE is about done, except for bug fixing. The only parts that the testers have not seen as far as MCE goes is the full XBOX 360 extender support because it did not make it into beta 2.

Quit spreading rumors (especially untrue ones). They aren't rewriting a ton of the product, and certainly not MCE in particular.

There were a number of features that testers were told would not be in until RC1 (aka would not make Beta 2). That doesn't mean that Vista is any further from done than it was 6 months ago.

Jason
Old 06-13-2006, 09:09 PM
Sage Fanatic

Um, there is a reason that businesses are getting Vista this Nov while consumers are forced to wait until at least Feb 07. If it was as close as you seem to think it was MS wouldn't be missing the holiday sales by a couple months. Now they are also talking even further Delay for the consumer version containing MCE...
Old 06-13-2006, 10:11 PM
Sage Advanced User

Why would I want Vista

Forgive my ignorance but what is Vista going to do for me that Xp doesnt already do. Is it because of HDCP compliance or Cable Card compatability. I just dont get it other than I believe its a 64 bit code that might take advantage of some newer hardware.
I dont see Cable cards as anthing but riddled with more DRMS crap and HDCP compliance is more of the same. At least with XP we have work arounds for things like DVD encryption and I could care less about HD dvd or Blueray as the files are much to big for copying to hardrive and a new round of encryption crap. I am happy with upsampled DVD's anyways.
I just do not see anything at the end of the rainbow.
Seasonic S-12 380w, NEC 3520a Onboard SoundStorm S/PDIF out
WD-Caviar 120GB IDE (System) Seagate (3) Baracuda 250GB sata (Pooled)
GF-7600gs Forceware 93.71 Nvida-Decoder V.4.02.223HDHR-Prime 3-Digital Fios ,HDhomeRun-Qam/FIOS
Clients:GA-MA78GM-S2H -AMD 4800- Sage TV Client-FireFly Remote - Amd x2 Turino LAPTOP - HD-100 + MVP Client DVR Verizon Fios/ B]
Old 06-13-2006, 10:31 PM
Sage Aficionado

Either way, I'm not seeing the need to upgrade my HTPC until Sage comes out and says "If you upgrade to Vista all your Java problems will go away, the micro studdering will smooth out and ..." I dont see that happening. I already legally own WinXP and I don't feel the need to put more money into the OS - I'd rather buy an extra tuner or THREE :-)

Don't be a guiena pig - wait for the first SP to come out.
Just my $0.02

AWS
Old 06-14-2006, 12:07 AM
Sage Fanatic

FWIW, I have a number of friends that actually work at Microsoft. I havn't asked them how close to being ready they think it is. None of them are actually working on the vista OS product, however, they are using it to conduct their day to day work. Many of the employee's are encouraged to use Vista unless they have a specific reason not to. This way they can test it in a big network environment. Hopefully figure out all the big bugs before they release it.

So, the short story is that they all seem to like the new OS and havn't complained, at least to me, about its stability. Oh, and the critisizm that you read about on the net regarding security policies that are too restrictive (5 clicks to delete a shortcut) apparently have work arounds. From what I heard, those are the types of usability areas they are still working on improving. Anyway, the fact that Joe ordinary Microsoft employee is running it and not just the developers, says to me that it is pretty stable.

Regardless, for a company to adopt Vista starting on day one of its release, they either have to be really ballsy, really techno savy or really ignorant. Im sure that the early adopters will have to have some detailed migration and roll back plans to keep everyone up and running.

The Media center functions excluded it doesn't suprise me that the business client deployment would come first. Generally, those installations would be performed by technical staff. If there are problems, its more likely that they could be worked out more quickly on a business to business level vs. a consumer level. Just imagine the head ache of releasing the product to all the world at the same time. How many people are going to need tech support becuase they don't understand the hardware requirements? Big business first, then big vendors, then general consumers. Heck the touted media center functions might even have to wait for SP1.

If I were building a new machine today, I'd probably try to plan hardware for Vista but I wouldn't expect to install it for quite some time. I still effectively use win2000 at work so that means it will probalby be what 2009 before XP will seem really outdated? If it aint broke.....
Old 06-14-2006, 12:23 AM
Sage Advanced User

Well, I installed the latest pvr-150 drivers and the problem was gone..

Thanks for the help,
orky7