SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 07-30-2006, 08:34 AM
SageTVaholic

What will happen to SageTV when MS Vista w/ native digital DirecTV/Comcast support...

I am curious... What will happen to SageTV when Microsoft Vista w/ native digital DirecTV/Comcast support becomes available?

***RIP SageTV***
Old 07-30-2006, 08:52 AM
SageTVaholic

Not a whole lot, you're not going to be able to build your own Vista+CableCard rig.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:14 AM

Rumor is that DirectTV will work with home built systems. Might be just the last thing to make me drop cable and go DirectTV.

Don't forget the check out the SageMC16x9 Wiki if you have any configuration or general usage questions. New content is being added all the time!
Old 07-30-2006, 09:32 AM
SageTVaholic

Looks like I'll have fun with SageTV while I can! I love my SageTV setup, but not THAT much to 'not' move forward with Vista's promised capabilities.

Thank for the info Stanger89!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
Not a whole lot, you're not going to be able to build your own Vista+CableCard rig.

***RIP SageTV***
Old 07-30-2006, 10:22 AM
Sage Expert

based on directv's past regarding hacking, I doubt they'd be too friendly to home built systems. I could be wrong, but i'd be suprised.

But regardless, the #1 reason I'm with sage instead of beyondtv or anything else is cheap, simple MVPs. I could see having 2 PC DVR solutions (one dedicated to a single TV, the rest dedicated to whole house) though.

But Vista's not here yet, and who knows what sage will offer by the time vista is here.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybrew
But Vista's not here yet, and who knows what sage will offer by the time vista is here.
Well said. We've got a lot coming down the pipe to y'all real soon.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:40 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex
HD extenders? Cablecard support?

And exactly how soon is soon? .
Old 07-30-2006, 01:16 PM
Sage Icon

He ain't gonna answer that, we'll just have to be patient.

Aaaaahhhgggg! I can't take it. Come on Narflex, throw us a bone with some meat on it!

Scott
Old 07-30-2006, 03:57 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Ah .... I hate when they do that !!!

Off course, I live for the times the Sage crew posts something that I can go to my crystal ball with

All that said, after playing the field (BeyondTV, Meddio) and keeping an eye on Sage all the while, I have been using my Sage system for a couple of months now, and all I can say is that if the next two years is anything like what Sage has put in place already, I am not the least bit worried about Vista, CableCard, etc.

They have been innovative, responsive and have led the way ! Keep up the good work.

As much as I like your posts Narflex ... get back to work ! I can't wait to see what's next
Old 07-30-2006, 08:24 PM
Sage Icon

with the industry and government politics we foresee (lobbyists), are we users at risk at all for having our (No. American) EPG cut-off? I think our EPG data comes from Zap2it and I suppose they get some revenue from SageTV to offset their costs. I may recall icorrectly, but I think TiVo gets their data from Zap2it as well, and that must be a big revenue stream as compared to Sage.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:36 PM
Sage Aficionado

Boy wouldn't that be something. A move like that would more than make up for the seemingly bleak 'post-HD Tivo' future. AND make me feel better about being shackled to them via NFL Ticket for the last 10+ years

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbdude
Rumor is that DirectTV will work with home built systems. Might be just the last thing to make me drop cable and go DirectTV.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:27 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I'll jump on this one too, native H.264 playback support?!

Last edited by Kirby; 07-31-2006 at 06:30 AM.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:26 AM
Sage Aficionado

Kirby, you beat me too it ;-)
Old 07-31-2006, 09:13 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleonard
He ain't gonna answer that, we'll just have to be patient.

Aaaaahhhgggg! I can't take it. Come on Narflex, throw us a bone with some meat on it!

Scott
Oh I know very well he won't answer that question. Throw out a little bone like that and the world might come to an end .
Old 07-31-2006, 09:37 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
All Together now....... QAM QAM QAM!!!
Old 07-31-2006, 10:07 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynedunham
All Together now....... QAM QAM QAM!!!
Sure would be nice !

Ken C
Old 07-31-2006, 10:27 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
Why would this mean nothing will happen with Sage? Couldn't Sage still be installed and used on a non-custom htpc purchased from one of the "official" big boys?
Old 08-01-2006, 07:48 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by popechild
Why would this mean nothing will happen with Sage? Couldn't Sage still be installed and used on a non-custom htpc purchased from one of the "official" big boys?
Depends on if Sage supports those cablecards or not.

I'm a partner in an pc integration business, so hopefully we'll be able to build vista/cablecard combo machines (I know one of our distributors will, so at least I can order them wholesale). I would just hope they have gotten over the 3 tuner limitation (yes I know you can have more, but that's more of a hack than a really supported thing), and that they are going to release a HD box that's NOT a x360, something really affordable.

The # of tuners, and the price/availablity of the HD extenders will really be my deciding factor as far as MCE/Vista or Sage goes in the future. Now if Sage would release a good HD extender soon, it'd seal me into the Sage group .
Old 08-01-2006, 10:13 AM
Sage Icon

If companies like HBO are really going to have your recorded content delete itself after 2 weeks, or any time frame for that matter, that alone will keep me from ever going to MCE! Add an unknown quantity of MS-DRM to the mix, the removal of transport controls forcing us to watch commercials or whatnot, and I think I can see my Sage setup last for years to come.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:43 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
It's close, but I think I will give Narflex the nod over my wife in the category of biggest tease.