SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 09-05-2006, 05:09 PM
SageTVaholic

I heard the rumor that Sage figured out how to make "morphable" code. You just go to the detailed info screen, press "42" and a dialog appears. Just type in there what you want the software to do (in English, unless you have selected Spanish as your default language in which case you must use German. This is a well-known bug) and also enter your credit card number. The system automatically charges your credit card $9.95 and once payment is confirmed the software automatically reprograms itself to do what you asked.

If you pay an extra $5.00 it stops all of the spam on all of your email accounts and reprograms your wife so she enjoys drinking beer and watching football on Sunday afternoons.

And don't forget to backup your wiz.bin before trying this out.

If this does not work try adding the following to your sage.properties file:
"sagemorph=TRUE, wifemorph=NFL, -p -rs /zaphod"

I know this is true because I read it on a blog somewhere.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:05 PM
Sage User

$5 for the wife thing - SIGN ME UP ASAP!!!
Old 09-06-2006, 08:15 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix35
a new upcomming version? as if you can improve on perfection
ok enough with the butt kissing...

I hope the MCE blaster would be supported this time around... alot of ppl have it... would be cool to have it integrated.
also hope recording can easily be controlled like a VCR... don't get me wrong the PVR recording is great.. but sometimes a simple record implies being able to record a clip without having to save the whole programming timeslot..
This is the way Snapstream's BeyondTV used to work, but everyone kept complaining that with SageTV you could press the record button at any point in the episode and it would keep the whole thing (so they changed their functionality to match SageTV's). Wanting it to work the way you suggested is kinda like a step backwards.

- Josh

Client 1 & 2: 50in Samsung DLP, 34in Insignia LCD, nMedia HTPC180, WinXP Pro SP2, SageTV Client v7 beta, XBMC, AMD XP2800, 1.5GB RAM, 80GB hdd, ATI HD3450, built-in audio, Firefly
Old 09-06-2006, 10:54 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by walts81
This is the way Snapstream's BeyondTV used to work, but everyone kept complaining that with SageTV you could press the record button at any point in the episode and it would keep the whole thing (so they changed their functionality to match SageTV's). Wanting it to work the way you suggested is kinda like a step backwards.

- Josh
I know that... but isn't it possible to give a menu when the record button is pressed? something in the lines of:
1. Record show from beginning
2. Manual Record aka VCR Record (not to be confused with Manual EPG recording)

and another press on record would give the option:
1. stop now

I believe MediaPortal has that working that way.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:40 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via Yahoo to cmaffia
Tivo works the same way!
I miss the VCR mentality..
Why do I need to waste space if I only want to record 10 minutes out of a 1 hour show?? I hit record... it records... I hit stop ... it stops recording and I am left with 10 minutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix35
I know that... but isn't it possible to give a menu when the record button is pressed? something in the lines of:
1. Record show from beginning
2. Manual Record aka VCR Record (not to be confused with Manual EPG recording)

and another press on record would give the option:
1. stop now

I believe MediaPortal has that working that way.
Server: Dual Tuner: PVR-150MCE/PVR-250MCE/SageTV v5.02/Asus Pundit-R 2.4GHZ/512MB DDR RAM/250 GB Maxtor HD (8MB Buffer) External Seagate 400GB HD via USB 2.0/Onboard ATI 9100 using SVIDEO TV-Out/Nvidia DVD decoder/Actisys 200L IR Blaster (Dish receiver) USBUIRT (DirectTV receiver)/Lite-On 4X DVD-R/RW/Windows XP Pro SP2/Adesso Mini IR Keyboard w/integrated mouse/Tivo "Peanut" Remote via USBUIRT/Dish Network Model 301/DirectTV subscriber/Webserver Plugin v2.8
Old 09-06-2006, 09:02 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaffia
Why do I need to waste space if I only want to record 10 minutes out of a 1 hour show?? I hit record... it records... I hit stop ... it stops recording and I am left with 10 minutes
But in every other situation in Sage, Stop means stop playback. Just because I want to stop watching for a while doesn't necessarily mean I want to stop recording.

It's easy enough to cut out the parts of the recording you don't want. It's not so easy to get back the parts that didn't record because Stop didn't mean what you thought it meant. Best to err on the side of caution and record more than is strictly necessary. This is what makes computers better than dumb appliances like VCRs.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:41 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick
But in every other situation in Sage, Stop means stop playback. Just because I want to stop watching for a while doesn't necessarily mean I want to stop recording.

It's easy enough to cut out the parts of the recording you don't want. It's not so easy to get back the parts that didn't record because Stop didn't mean what you thought it meant. Best to err on the side of caution and record more than is strictly necessary. This is what makes computers better than dumb appliances like VCRs.
Maybe something like the old "quick record" on VCR's....hit QuickRecord button and SageTV sets up a manual record for whatever channel you are on for 10 mins (user setting for increment)...hit is 3 times and you have a 30 min manual record.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:55 PM
Sage Icon

you can do a timed recording, and set how many minutes you want, but it has to be at least a minute long.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 09-07-2006, 04:58 AM
Sage Expert

My mistake... see.. it has been so long since I used a VCR

Why cant I hit record to start a recording... hit record again to stop recording like a vcr
Timed recording is not what I am referring to. Editing is not just as easy... I am talking about a true
VCR mode. Like when when I was a youngin.. and I used to watch MTV and tape only certain videos..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick

Server: Dual Tuner: PVR-150MCE/PVR-250MCE/SageTV v5.02/Asus Pundit-R 2.4GHZ/512MB DDR RAM/250 GB Maxtor HD (8MB Buffer) External Seagate 400GB HD via USB 2.0/Onboard ATI 9100 using SVIDEO TV-Out/Nvidia DVD decoder/Actisys 200L IR Blaster (Dish receiver) USBUIRT (DirectTV receiver)/Lite-On 4X DVD-R/RW/Windows XP Pro SP2/Adesso Mini IR Keyboard w/integrated mouse/Tivo "Peanut" Remote via USBUIRT/Dish Network Model 301/DirectTV subscriber/Webserver Plugin v2.8

Last edited by cmaffia; 09-07-2006 at 05:01 AM.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:37 PM
Sage Fanatic

what y'all want is clip capture. this could really be separate from recording i suppose?
Old 09-07-2006, 07:37 PM
Sage Expert

I am not looking to clip or edit. Tivo has this feature I am talking about. I was able to just record 5 minutes of anything by just hitting record to initate the recording and the record again to stop it. It would ask me if I wanted to save this recording or delete it. This 5 minute recording would be listed along with my full length recordings. Case in point: I recorded the Grammys this year. All I wanted to record that night was Paul McCartney's performance (showing my age here :-) ) but I was forced to record the whole show. I could not set up Sage to do a timed recording because I had no idea what time exactly he would be on. I dont want to go and edit it with Video Redo or similar products. It is time consuming and requires me to do this on another computer to do this simple function. It would be nice to implement this feature in future Sage releases. Narflex, if you're reading, what do you think? :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GbrNole
what y'all want is clip capture. this could really be separate from recording i suppose?

Last edited by cmaffia; 09-07-2006 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:50 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaffia
I am not looking to clip or edit. Tivo has this feature I am talking about. I was able to just record 5 minutes of anything by just hitting record to initate the recording and the record again to stop it. It would ask me if I wanted to save this recording or delete it. This 5 minute recording would be listed along with my full length recordings. Case in point: I recorded the Grammys this year. All I wanted to record that night was Paul McCartney's performance (showing my age here :-) ) but I was forced to record the whole show. I could not set up Sage to do a timed recording because I had no idea what time exactly he would be on. I dont want to go and edit it with Video Redo or similar products. It is time consuming and requires me to do this on another computer to do this simple function. It would be nice to implement this feature in future Sage releases. Narflex, if you're reading, what do you think? :-)
cmaffia,

As a former Tivo addict as well I know exactly what your talking about. That is probably one of the only major pieces of functionality that I miss from my Tivo. If I was watching a segment and wanted to record something hit record, when done hit record again and there it was. I still find myself trying to do it with Sage until I remember it won't and I've been a Sage user for 1 1/2 years now
Old 09-07-2006, 09:02 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlabrue
cmaffia,

As a former Tivo addict as well I know exactly what your talking about. That is probably one of the only major pieces of functionality that I miss from my Tivo. If I was watching a segment and wanted to record something hit record, when done hit record again and there it was. I still find myself trying to do it with Sage until I remember it won't and I've been a Sage user for 1 1/2 years now
If I'm understanding what you want correctly then SageMC has had it since Version 6.7. It should be possible to copy the code as an import to the default STV. Would take a few additions to get it to only record from the first press of the Record command but that shouldn't be too hard either. Guess I have to retract this statement not easy to delete the prior video before resuming recording but can at least stop the recording early with the SageMC code.

Last edited by BobPhoenix; 09-07-2006 at 10:08 PM.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:11 PM
Sage Icon

This "just record and stop" missing feature has been requested before in many other threads, it also coincides with the many "why I can't just stop a fav/manual recording" complaints. I'm sure SageTV is aware of it. Now whether they did something about it for next release, that's a different story.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:23 AM
Sage Aficionado

I hae a suggestion:

If a recording is back to back, and it the dirst has like a few mintues more to record, and the other recording wants to take over (because you added more time to the first recording, to mek sure the network did not screw upo), it should record the overlapping few minutes and add them to both recordings, this way you will have what you need in both recordings, and not have a situationwhere you missed the ending, which is magically on the other recording you have to hunt down now....

In Israel YES MAX - the satelite's DVR does this, and would love to see it in sage too.
SageTV Client 6.3.5 , AMD 3000, 1024Mb, Saphire x1600Pro256HDMI, java 1.6.1

Using Nielm's Web server 2.22
Old 09-08-2006, 01:27 AM
Sage Icon

oh yah, overlapping padding on back-to-back same-channel recordings would be nice, and has been requested in the past.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:30 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhoenix
Guess I have to retract this statement not easy to delete the prior video before resuming recording but can at least stop the recording early with the SageMC code.
Hi Bob,

funny, after reading the prior posts I started to implement this functionality in SageMC, but hit the same road block ...

Dirk
Old 09-08-2006, 06:31 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by alon24
I hae a suggestion:

If a recording is back to back, and it the dirst has like a few mintues more to record, and the other recording wants to take over (because you added more time to the first recording, to mek sure the network did not screw upo), it should record the overlapping few minutes and add them to both recordings, this way you will have what you need in both recordings, and not have a situationwhere you missed the ending, which is magically on the other recording you have to hunt down now....

In Israel YES MAX - the satelite's DVR does this, and would love to see it in sage too.
I'm pretty sure this will happen if you leave the "remove padding on back to back" disabled. It does however require twice as many tuners to handle it. I think you are suggesting a more elegant solution where the overlap would be written simultaniously to both files. I agree that this would be a nice solution.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:32 AM
Sage Aficionado

Damnit, it is Friday! Where is the new build
Old 09-08-2006, 07:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alon24
I hae a suggestion:

Is this even possible or is it a hardware limitation? The capture cards encode the show into mpeg2, how could a single encoder be encoding 2 shows at once for the period of time the shows overlap?