SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-13-2022, 03:08 PM
Sage Aficionado

Exo2MediaPlayer - Source error

getting this error and really slow playback (if any at all). Recently started after several years of smooth operation using the mini client client via Nvidia Shield to connect to SageTV v9.1.5.

Any suggestions?

<Admin: wasn't sure where to put this...feel free to move it>

TIA

Edit: upon further review not sure if the message begins with Exo2 or Ex02 and also, live TV via the placeshifter on PC not affected; only via Nvidia Shield
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SageTV_Error_LiveTV.JPG (32.0 KB, 54 views)
Extenders: Nvidia Shield x2 / 3 placeshifters
Server Software: Win 10 64, SageTV 9.1.5.683, Java 8_241, Real VNC
Other: MiniClient, Commercial Detector UI, Sage Recording Extender

Last edited by gilded07; 02-13-2022 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-14-2022, 12:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilded07 View Post
getting this error and really slow playback (if any at all). Recently started after several years of smooth operation using the mini client client via Nvidia Shield to connect to SageTV v9.1.5.

Any suggestions?

<Admin: wasn't sure where to put this...feel free to move it>

TIA

Edit: upon further review not sure if the message begins with Exo2 or Ex02 and also, live TV via the placeshifter on PC not affected; only via Nvidia Shield
I too started having this error with the recent updates. Amazon Firestick AND my Samsung Android S21 phone, both suffer the same error.
Switched to IJK and limited the bitrate to 2k - which seems to have worked.
No idea what's gone on with Exo though.
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 02-14-2022, 12:46 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
I too started having this error with the recent updates. Amazon Firestick AND my Samsung Android S21 phone, both suffer the same error.
Switched to IJK and limited the bitrate to 2k - which seems to have worked.
No idea what's gone on with Exo though.
Would updating my SageTV server software fix this problem? I'm on 9.1.5 which has worked great until this problem. Edit: I also noticed some plug-ins that won't update with my current SageTV version.

What is IJK?
Old 02-14-2022, 03:41 PM
Sage Icon

Is this using the original Android client or the forked version?

The forked version was recently updated and it caused a bunch of playback issues. It took about a week to get a corrected version uploaded to Google and Amazon stores. However the current version should fix the problems that were introduced in the second to last version.

All this to say, make sure you are on the latest version of the Android client. It may be that you are still on the buggy version.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 02-14-2022, 04:18 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic0048 View Post
Is this using the original Android client or the forked version?

The forked version was recently updated and it caused a bunch of playback issues. It took about a week to get a corrected version uploaded to Google and Amazon stores. However the current version should fix the problems that were introduced in the second to last version.

All this to say, make sure you are on the latest version of the Android client. It may be that you are still on the buggy version.
I'm using the app that is called SageTV Android Client in the Google Play Store and it is developed by jvl711. I'm on version 1.10.2. I don't know if this is the original or forked version (had no idea there was more than one). Just checked and still having playback problems with live TV. Is there a fix other than switching to the other playback engine, IJK?
Old 02-14-2022, 08:04 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
I'm using the app that is called SageTV Android Client in the Google Play Store and it is developed by jvl711. I'm on version 1.10.2. I don't know if this is the original or forked version (had no idea there was more than one). Just checked and still having playback problems with live TV. Is there a fix other than switching to the other playback engine, IJK?
You may want to post question about the SageTV Android Client here: https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66405

That is where I post updates, and more people tend to view and respond to specific issues on the Android Client there. I have a little bit of input on your error.

1. The source error generally means there is an issue with the media. The reason that you will see this error in ExoPlayer and not IJK is because ExoPlayer does not try and correct issues with the media, which IJK is based on FFmpeg, and is a little more forgiving on content issues. I have enhaved the source error message to be a little more descriptive for the next version. I know that is not very helpful now
2. My guess is that something may have changed in the source. Either there is errors popping up in the stream, or the content of the streams have possibly changed.
3. I am also adding retry after failure during playback. This may also help with the type of issue you are describing.

Now I do have a question for you. Are you stating that after that source error ExoPlayer continues to playback the media??? It should just stop cold when a playback error is encountered. And are you seeing this error on all live tv playback, or just some certain channels? Are you transcoding or remuxing the livetv from the Android Client?

Thanks,
Josh
JavaFFmpegLibrary
SageTVTranscoder

If you like the work I am doing and would like to support it you can become a Patreon member.
Old 02-14-2022, 11:22 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvl711 View Post
You may want to post question about the SageTV Android Client here: https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66405

1. The source error generally means there is an issue with the media.
Now I do have a question for you. Are you stating that after that source error ExoPlayer continues to playback the media??? It should just stop cold when a playback error is encountered. And are you seeing this error on all live tv playback, or just some certain channels? Are you transcoding or remuxing the livetv from the Android Client?

Thanks,
Josh
For me, the ExoPlayer error occurs during playback and with the latest client, but id does continue playing. We have a tiny (25Mb ISP connection and are trying to record two Olympics channels + news once a day, and when the news channel becomes the third, it is the one that plays back with skips and 'no-signal' indications (red on playback graphic). Not transcoding (at least I think so; neither of the new plugins are installed).
Network: gB Lan
Playback: FireStick 4K miniclient
Tech Level: Hobbyist
Old 02-15-2022, 11:11 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

That is where I post updates, and more people tend to view and respond to specific issues on the Android Client there. I have a little bit of input on your error.

1. The source error generally means there is an issue with the media. The reason that you will see this error in ExoPlayer and not IJK is because ExoPlayer does not try and correct issues with the media, which IJK is based on FFmpeg, and is a little more forgiving on content issues. I have enhaved the source error message to be a little more descriptive for the next version. I know that is not very helpful now
2. My guess is that something may have changed in the source. Either there is errors popping up in the stream, or the content of the streams have possibly changed.
3. I am also adding retry after failure during playback. This may also help with the type of issue you are describing.

Thanks,
Josh
For me, the error mostly occurs on an Amazon Firestick, non-4k version, and usually occurs when "watch live tv" is the selection. Source is mostly Shaw Direct satellite tv locked to 720p output from the set-top box to a Hauppauge Colossus tuner card. Network is Netgear wireless access point, N300 speeds.

UPDATE: just uninstalled from my Android phone (Samsung S21), then installed the current version in the Android Store. Using a DNS service and my T-Mobile 5G network, the mini client essentially just freezes at Sage's home screen. No response, no tactile reaction to commands. Killing the app and restarting it then allows for manipulation, but I get no video or audio, in Exo setting, even though the timeline seems to be moving forward.
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson

Last edited by tvmaster2; 02-15-2022 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-15-2022, 12:04 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
UPDATE: just uninstalled from my Android phone (Samsung S21), then installed the current version in the Android Store. Using a DNS service and my T-Mobile 5G network, the mini client essentially just freezes at Sage's home screen. No response, no tactile reaction to commands. Killing the app and restarting it then allows for manipulation, but I get no video or audio, in Exo setting, even though the timeline seems to be moving forward.
I have the same experience with an Android Phone. I also had exactly the same situation when I took one of my Android TV Boxes to my daughters house in another state and tried to connect remotely to my Server...... The Box previously worked fine at home in my house on my network. I did have the SageTVTranscoder plug-in installed at the time.

Last edited by phantomii; 02-15-2022 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-15-2022, 04:40 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:

Thanks,
Josh
Josh - Thx for your reply. When I watch live TV (via HDHR3 OTA), for HD (local affiliates) it plays back with a very slow frame rate. What is showing isn't watchable and trails the live status bar below (see attached pic). Also, no audio.

I found a 22 year old movie on the Comet network that didn't appear to be broadcast in HD and it was watchable but no audio.

I don't do any remuxing or transcoding. Just live TV from the antenna to HDHR3 to SageTV to Nvidia Shield. Same set up for years.

both attachments are from HD shows

Thx for the app and any assistance you can provide to help me watch live TV via SageTV again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trailing_status.JPG (28.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg second_error_message_.JPG (31.7 KB, 36 views)
Old 02-15-2022, 06:59 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb4 View Post
For me, the ExoPlayer error occurs during playback and with the latest client, but id does continue playing. We have a tiny (25Mb ISP connection and are trying to record two Olympics channels + news once a day, and when the news channel becomes the third, it is the one that plays back with skips and 'no-signal' indications (red on playback graphic). Not transcoding (at least I think so; neither of the new plugins are installed).
This seems to be an error in the media because of lack of bandwidth. ExoPlayer really does not do good handling mangled media.

Josh
JavaFFmpegLibrary
SageTVTranscoder

If you like the work I am doing and would like to support it you can become a Patreon member.
Old 02-15-2022, 07:01 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Josh - Thx for your reply. When I watch live TV (via HDHR3 OTA), for HD (local affiliates) it plays back with a very slow frame rate. What is showing isn't watchable and trails the live status bar below (see attached pic). Also, no audio.

I found a 22 year old movie on the Comet network that didn't appear to be broadcast in HD and it was watchable but no audio.

I don't do any remuxing or transcoding. Just live TV from the antenna to HDHR3 to SageTV to Nvidia Shield. Same set up for years.

both attachments are from HD shows

Thx for the app and any assistance you can provide to help me watch live TV via SageTV again.
Can you confirm you are using the latest client 1.10.2. And if so, is it possible for you to get me an example recording? I would like to see for myself what might be going on. I can provide an link for you to upload if needed.

Thanks,
Josh
JavaFFmpegLibrary
SageTVTranscoder

Old 02-16-2022, 11:15 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Can you confirm you are using the latest client 1.10.2. And if so, is it possible for you to get me an example recording? I would like to see for myself what might be going on. I can provide an link for you to upload if needed.

Thanks,
Josh
The version is 1.10.2 (see attached pic). I would be happy to share an example recording. Do you want me just to point my phone at the TV while I press play on a live TV feed and then upload it to you?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mini_Client_Version.JPG (73.3 KB, 31 views)
Old 02-18-2022, 02:09 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
The version is 1.10.2 (see attached pic). I would be happy to share an example recording. Do you want me just to point my phone at the TV while I press play on a live TV feed and then upload it to you?
I believe I got your example file, and I tried it in my environment. It looks like SageTV is seeing your recording as being a container format of "MPEG" as opposed to MPEG-PS or MPEG-TS, so it is actually remuxing the file. I think that is the issue.

I may need to create a new fork and release a patch for this.
JavaFFmpegLibrary
SageTVTranscoder

Old 02-18-2022, 02:40 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I believe I got your example file, and I tried it in my environment. It looks like SageTV is seeing your recording as being a container format of "MPEG" as opposed to MPEG-PS or MPEG-TS, so it is actually remuxing the file. I think that is the issue.

I may need to create a new fork and release a patch for this.
Yes, I uploaded a clip of the local news to your website and then my phone rang I forgot to come here and message you. What's interesting is that I can watch that same channel just fine through the placeshifter app on my win10 PC.

Surely, I'm not the only one encountering this problem? My SageTV setup is very vanilla and I would think others would be having this same problem? I'm happy to send you anything else you need to troubleshoot this like logs or other vid clips.
Old 02-18-2022, 04:33 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Yes, I uploaded a clip of the local news to your website and then my phone rang I forgot to come here and message you. What's interesting is that I can watch that same channel just fine through the placeshifter app on my win10 PC.

Surely, I'm not the only one encountering this problem? My SageTV setup is very vanilla and I would think others would be having this same problem? I'm happy to send you anything else you need to troubleshoot this like logs or other vid clips.
I have some follow up questions. When I went to add support for "MPEG" container type and tested it, ExoPlayer complained that the container was not supported. Were you using ExoPlayer when this was working before or IJKPlayer?

I may need to do a little more digging to get to the bottom of this one.

Josh
JavaFFmpegLibrary
SageTVTranscoder

Old 02-18-2022, 05:11 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I have some follow up questions. When I went to add support for "MPEG" container type and tested it, ExoPlayer complained that the container was not supported. Were you using ExoPlayer when this was working before or IJKPlayer?

I may need to do a little more digging to get to the bottom of this one.

Josh
Until a few days ago, I didn't know what exoplayer and IJK player were. I'm using the default settings, which is exoplayer.
Old 02-23-2022, 02:39 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:

Thanks,
Josh
Just curious, will 1.10.2 be made available for Fire TV users? It looks like the Amazon Appstore currently has 1.10.1.
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls