SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-18-2019, 10:41 PM
SageTVaholic

Suggestions from those smarter than I - Windows 10 or W7?

It’s been a long time since I’ve cleaned house and done a rebuild, and now, with W7 ending support in two months, I could use some advice.

Note: I use Firewire channel change, but if I can get my USB-UIRT to work, that could change. That being said...

For my next, SageTV server build, do you all feel Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 10 32 bit, or Windows 7 (either bit) is the way to go?

One other thing - I have my W7-32 bit system setup so it doesn’t need a password, aka if you press the reset button it just boots right up, no human input needed. I do this because house sitters often reset the box for me while I’m traveling, and it’s easy for them. I believe I can still do that with a W10 build, but want to be sure.

So, all that being said - I’ve read some headaches people have with W10 64 bit installs, with USB-UIRT etc., and two, key developers are stepping away, which has me concerned for future, W10 development. Will W7 still be safe going forward?

And one last thing, I also use my SageTV server for AirVideo and PLEX Server duties. PLEX alone may require W10 sooner than later.

Finally, the tuners in use are Hauppauge Colossus, HDPVR and HDHomerun.

sorry it may take a while to read, but your expert opinions need all the input necessary.
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson

Last edited by tvmaster2; 11-18-2019 at 10:45 PM.
Old 11-19-2019, 10:31 AM
Sage Advanced User

What problems are you having with the USB-UIRT's?

if it's with using multiple US-UIRT's theres an old dll you need for more than one to work ... it doesn't seem to be in the installer package for fresh installs
SageTV Server: Windows 7 64Bit, Phenom II X6 1090T, Asus M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3), ATI Radeon HD 4290, 2 x KHX1600C9D3/4GX, 4 x HD-PVR2 Gaming, , 4 x 320GB recording drives, 2 x USB-UIRT, SageTV Server Beta
SageTV Client & 2 x HD-300 Extender.
40.8TB unRaid 6.6.5 media server
Old 11-19-2019, 11:20 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfessor101 View Post
What problems are you having with the USB-UIRT's?

if it's with using multiple US-UIRT's theres an old dll you need for more than one to work ... it doesn't seem to be in the installer package for fresh installs
I’m not having any problems specifically yet, just looking for opinions on what people think going forward regarding W7 vs. W10
Any thoughts?
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 11-19-2019, 09:36 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
It’s been a long time since I’ve cleaned house and done a rebuild, and now, with W7 ending support in two months, I could use some advice.

Note: I use Firewire channel change, but if I can get my USB-UIRT to work, that could change. That being said...

For my next, SageTV server build, do you all feel Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 10 32 bit, or Windows 7 (either bit) is the way to go?

One other thing - I have my W7-32 bit system setup so it doesn’t need a password, aka if you press the reset button it just boots right up, no human input needed. I do this because house sitters often reset the box for me while I’m traveling, and it’s easy for them. I believe I can still do that with a W10 build, but want to be sure.

So, all that being said - I’ve read some headaches people have with W10 64 bit installs, with USB-UIRT etc., and two, key developers are stepping away, which has me concerned for future, W10 development. Will W7 still be safe going forward?

And one last thing, I also use my SageTV server for AirVideo and PLEX Server duties. PLEX alone may require W10 sooner than later.

Finally, the tuners in use are Hauppauge Colossus, HDPVR and HDHomerun.

sorry it may take a while to read, but your expert opinions need all the input necessary.
I have a very similar server setup running on Win 7 and in the same boat. I know I'll need to do something eventually. Been thinking about going the Docker route as I want to run a few OS in VM's, but I haven't had the time to deal with it.

I do know that you can set Win10 to auto login, as I have my HTPC doing that. It's an Intel NUC, and also serves as a Sage network recorder, so I have it set to auto boot. Sage and a USB-UIRT run fine on it, but it only has one tuner, an HDPVR.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:56 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zogg View Post
I have a very similar server setup running on Win 7 and in the same boat. I know I'll need to do something eventually. Been thinking about going the Docker route as I want to run a few OS in VM's, but I haven't had the time to deal with it.

I do know that you can set Win10 to auto login, as I have my HTPC doing that. It's an Intel NUC, and also serves as a Sage network recorder, so I have it set to auto boot. Sage and a USB-UIRT run fine on it, but it only has one tuner, an HDPVR.
are you running W10 64 bit?
Old 11-20-2019, 05:57 AM
Sage Aficionado

Yes, W10 64-bit. Others are running it too from what I've read.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:02 AM
Sage User

Note: there are no 64bit drivers for Firewire. So no 64bit version of Windows supports Firewire channel changing.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:50 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre5006 View Post
Note: there are no 64bit drivers for Firewire. So no 64bit version of Windows supports Firewire channel changing.
Yes, thanks, I realize that. Going to 64 bit would depend on USBUIRT reliability, and the future development of those elements
Old 11-24-2019, 08:48 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
I went through the same exercise as you just yesterday. I reformatted my server from running Windows 7 32-bit, to Windows 8.1 64-bit. I realize I'm punting the ball down further on EOL Windows, but I really don't want my home server running Windows 10. Microsoft changes the guts of Win10 too often for my liking.

I use a USB-UIRT and it works fine. I needed an OS with one foot in the past and one in the future so I think Windows 8.1 64-bit is a good compromise. As long as Plex doesn't pull support for it, I'm good for many years. It was a painstaking process to re-setup everything, check custom registry entries and sageproperties files, etc. It was an entire day process.

This will probably be my last (physical) Sage Server. After this, it may just become a VM separate from my other applications. Heck, I probably should have done that now...oh well. The only reason I needed 32-bit before was not for Firewire, but an NVidia DualTV tuner card. I no longer get analog cable TV so it's not needed. My tuners are either USB (HDPVR) or network (HDHR) now.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:46 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
Yes, thanks, I realize that. Going to 64 bit would depend on USBUIRT reliability, and the future development of those elements
Using USBUIRT in 64 bit will rule out changing channels AND remote control via Eventghost. You have to pick one or the other. You can change channels and do remote control without Eventghost.
ASRock B450M Pro4 AM4 MB, Ryzen 5 2600 3.4ghz, Crucial Ballistix Gaming 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200, EVGA GT 1030SC, WD Black NVMe SSD 250GB, 1x WD120EFAX 12TB, 1x WD80EFAX 8TB, 1x WDBH2D0040HNC 4TB, USB-UIRT, Colossus 2, WinTV-DualHD USB, Windows 11 64bit
Old 12-03-2019, 10:05 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malfunction View Post
Using USBUIRT in 64 bit will rule out changing channels AND remote control via Eventghost. You have to pick one or the other. You can change channels and do remote control without Eventghost.
I'm assuming you are referring to 64-bit Sage running on 64-bit Windows? Because I'm running 32-bit Sage on 64-bit Windows with Eventghost and all that works just fine.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:39 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zogg View Post
I'm assuming you are referring to 64-bit Sage running on 64-bit Windows? Because I'm running 32-bit Sage on 64-bit Windows with Eventghost and all that works just fine.
Yes, I used to do that. There's no 64 bit Eventghost. It does work as a remote control for 64-bit, but I had to enable the HD-PVR2 IR blaster when I went to 64 bit SageTV.
ASRock B450M Pro4 AM4 MB, Ryzen 5 2600 3.4ghz, Crucial Ballistix Gaming 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200, EVGA GT 1030SC, WD Black NVMe SSD 250GB, 1x WD120EFAX 12TB, 1x WD80EFAX 8TB, 1x WDBH2D0040HNC 4TB, USB-UIRT, Colossus 2, WinTV-DualHD USB, Windows 11 64bit
Old 12-05-2019, 04:48 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malfunction View Post
Yes, I used to do that. There's no 64 bit Eventghost. It does work as a remote control for 64-bit, but I had to enable the HD-PVR2 IR blaster when I went to 64 bit SageTV.
Good to know, thanks.
Old 12-08-2019, 07:10 PM
Sage Advanced User

Been running Win10-64 here for a couple years with no problem. Reboots with auto-login and Sage service works great, no problems. Although I don't use any IR tuning (all my recordings are OTA, cut the cable 10 years ago when I purchased Sage 6.0).

That said, if I were rebuilding a server I think I'd opt to dive into Linux. I've been running a Calibre content server on Linux Mint (Cinnamon) and loving it. Can't say enough good things about this Linux distro...
Old 12-08-2019, 07:37 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by metapath View Post
Been running Win10-64 here for a couple years with no problem. Reboots with auto-login and Sage service works great, no problems. Although I don't use any IR tuning (all my recordings are OTA, cut the cable 10 years ago when I purchased Sage 6.0).

That said, if I were rebuilding a server I think I'd opt to dive into Linux. I've been running a Calibre content server on Linux Mint (Cinnamon) and loving it. Can't say enough good things about this Linux distro...
Thanks. I’ve considered Linux too, but I also run Plex, AirVideo, etc., and wasn’t sure how many of these things also work together under a Linux roof.