SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 09-21-2018, 06:26 PM
Sage Icon

Cable re-purposing question

I have a long HDMI (2.0) cable that is routed from outside my house (end enclosed in a weatherproof box) into an A/V cabinet my house. The path it's routed is not open for cable pulling (the cable is tacked down inside of walls and wood ceiling structure). I am wishing I had also pulled network (CAT-5e or 6) at the time.

So what I am wondering is whether it's possible to chop off the heads of the HDMI cable and install RJ45 on both ends, and repurpose the HDMI cable as a network cable. How many individual wires are inside an HDMI cable, and are they of a size that would carry adequate bandwidth?

I can't find anything about this online because every way I try to word it in google, all I get are "HDMI over network cable" results.
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:01 PM
Sage Icon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Cables

This says there are 4 twisted pairs and that "HDMI with Ethernet" uses 3 of the "other" wires as a shielded pair. Other than the shielding (which you wouldn't need if you aren't running TV and Ethernet in the same cable), it sounds like those 4 main pairs are the same.

I don't know what the turns per inch are on HDMI but I'd guess it would be fine for home use. If you don't want to permanently hack the cable, buy some female HMDI ends and connect to those.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:38 PM
Sage Icon

So I went back to looking at the "HDMI over ethernet" devices and discovered they just have an HDMI male plug on one side and TWO rj45 female jacks on the other. So that would mean I could actually run two cat5e cables through my existing HDMI (presumably, if I needed... But I only need one).

Bought two of those adapters (2 pack on Amazon about $10) and two male-to-male HDMI connectors (female on both sides).

Network cable from switch - - >first jack on adapter - - >HDMI connector - - >existing HDMI cable - - >HDMI connector - - >adapter - - >network cable out of first jack to outside network device. Like, A-B-C-D-C-B-A. Works like a charm.

If I came up with another network device I wanted outside, presumably I could plug a network cable from another switch port to adapter jack #2, and outside plug a network cable into jack #2 for whatever device needed it.
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 10-02-2018, 04:55 PM
SageTVaholic

PJ, can you post a link to the devices that you purchased? When you initially asked the question I spent about 30 minutes researching the issue and all I could find were devices that would accept the HDMI signal and then pass it over Cat5 wire for the distance, then back to HDMI. I could not find the reverse of this, so I made an assumption that it probably wasn't backwards compatible.