SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-22-2017, 07:00 PM
Sage Advanced User

Default Codecs

I am currently building a clean V9 install on Win 10. I have a working v9 installation on the same hardware under Win 8.1 that has evolved from earlier versions of SageTV.

Now, I know there are codec issues with Win 10 out-of-the-box, so I downloaded the Microsoft codec pack - expecting that to work.

I can use VLC and Windows Media Player to play any of my video files on the Win 10 partition - so obviously Windows sees various codecs.

The SageTV installation, however, will not work with MPEG2 sources. It works fine with H264 sources like the HDPVRs. The problem is with the HDHR OTA tuners (which work fine with the supplied app - just not with SageTV).

I figured it was worth trying LAV filters as suggested in some of the threads - so I downloaded them. The setup worked and the LAV programs work for configuring the installation - however SageTV does not offer them as an option in setting up either MPEG2 or H264 codecs. I even tried the advanced setup to see if they did not show under the 'known compatible' list - still no.

Am I missing something with this installation? Do I need to do something after downloading the LAV filters to make Win 10 'see' them?
Old 12-22-2017, 08:47 PM
Sage Aficionado

LAV will not show up as one of default/recommended decoders. It should be listed as LAV Video Decoder once you select to list all decoders.

If Sage was running during the LAV Filters install than I believe Sage needs to be restarted before LAV will show up in the decoder list.