SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 07-21-2017, 09:48 AM
Sage User

New V9 install went braindead on recordings.

Calling any pros who wanna help!

After getting all the new v9 and SD EPG lineup and all setup earlier this week, last night the whole of sagetv went braindead on me when I came back to it after it should have recorded two shows.

The scenario:

SageTV V9 setup, EPG setup, favs setup, it had a recording schedule to do "Penn & Teller" (8pm) and following that crappy "Hooten n the Lady" (9pm), then later "The Late Show" (11:30pm).

Coming back to the machine (shortly after 10pm), sagetv was sleeping in the tray, and upon clicking it. Nothing. No lil menu. Double-clicking also did nothing. Even launching it from start menu again resulted in nothing. In the recordings folder was a 0 byte file for penn & teller, and then a 16mb temp file for avermedia.

After not being able to get sage to come forward, I killed all sage processes, and then launched it again. Upon doing so, there was no guide, no recordings, no schedule, nothing but a shell of sagetv. It didn't even see the avermedia card nor have any sources setup.

So I fully reboot the whole machine, and when it came back, everything seemed to be just fine! The avermedia was there, sage had a guide, had scheduled recordings (including the upcoming late show). But no recordings that it should have just done the hours prior.

Attached is the log I could find.

Thu 7/20 3:00:02.925 is when the machine went to sleep the night prior.
Thu 7/20 20:00:00.000 is the time Penn & Teller should have started.
Thu 7/20 20:02:26.802 Seeker has been hung for more than 60 seconds...system appears deadlocked...

(hopefully there isn't any incriminating in this log file... it was too big for me to look it all through)

I see a lot of confusing information, a WHOLE lot of spew about reinstalling dx9 over and over... but I am not an expert on what sagetv does in its idle time, so this all may be normal behavior. The curious part is with the seeker, and avermedia card.
Attached Files
File Type: zip sagetv_3.txt.zip (719.6 KB, 126 views)
Old 07-21-2017, 11:05 AM
SageTVaholic

It looks like it's hanging waiting on the capture device to stop. I see a halt detected message a little ways up that is likely the start of this problem and a hint at why it likely hung. I'm not familiar with the AVerMedia 716x, so the only advice I can think of is if it's external check the power supply.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Clients: 1x HD300 (Living Room), 1x HD200 (Master Bedroom).
Software: OpenDCT :: WMC Live TV Tuner :: Schedules Direct EPG
Old 07-21-2017, 11:36 AM
Sage User

Its an internal PCIE-1 card. Sits all by its lonesome now in the new machine.

When it was in the older XP machine, I didn't see this happen. Had other issues (but mostly XP related problems haha).

Hopefully, this was just a one-off screwup with the avermedia card? Or maybe windows 10 doesnt like the card. It was quite plug'n'play when I moved it over... amazingly win10 didn't complain, and sage picked it up instantly. I did go into device manager and check update drivers, but it told me I have the best drivers for the card already installed (funny message).

Do you think maybe having the machine sleep may be a contributing factor? I never did sleep the machine when it was with XP.

Hopefully this was just a baby steps hiccup.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:45 AM
Sage User

I'm actually a bit curious about the lines like:

Thu 7/20 19:58:37.894 [Scheduler@1fcf7e2] Scheduler.updateSchedule()

Where it lists a LOT of shows I dont record or watch. I was trying to scroll up to find what you mentioned, and kept seeing those huge blocks of hundreds of shows jambed into that line.

Uh?
Old 07-21-2017, 01:22 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw View Post
I'm actually a bit curious about the lines like:

Thu 7/20 19:58:37.894 [Scheduler@1fcf7e2] Scheduler.updateSchedule()

Where it lists a LOT of shows I dont record or watch. I was trying to scroll up to find what you mentioned, and kept seeing those huge blocks of hundreds of shows jambed into that line.

Uh?
The must see schedule is what is expected to record based on your favorites and manual recordings. The schedule schedule is all of the must see schedule plus intelligent recordings. If you have intelligent recordings turned off, the the must see schedule is used.

My other thought on the card might be drivers which could be influenced by standby if they don't handle it well.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Old 07-21-2017, 01:30 PM
Sage User

Ok, I have intelligent recording off, as I never liked what it picked

So there is a new feature called Must See? Hmm. I should probably turn that off as well considering I kept seeing references to "Roseanne" and "Jerry Springer".

No computer is gonna pimp crap like that to me without consequences!

I checked again, and I have the latest drivers for that card. Wondering now if its too old of a card, and I should look into a HDHomeRun or something. Not Hauppauge... too much pain in the past dealing with those, cannot imagine they have gotten any better with newer OS.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Ok, I have intelligent recording off, as I never liked what it picked

So there is a new feature called Must See? Hmm. I should probably turn that off as well considering I kept seeing references to "Roseanne" and "Jerry Springer".
Must see has always been there. It's basically what most people call the schedule because they don't know what's really happening behind the scenes.

Old 07-21-2017, 02:12 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterNoEscape View Post
Must see has always been there. It's basically what most people call the schedule because they don't know what's really happening behind the scenes.

Gotcha. I admit, decade or so, and I never bothered to look under the hood or at logs. I figured the guys doing sage know what they are doing, and don't need me backseat dictating.

This particular issue, may just not be sage at all, but rather the avermedia card. Sadly. That card worked wonders for so long... but all good things come to an end.

Thanks for the reply btw.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:37 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

Gotcha. I admit, decade or so, and I never bothered to look under the hood or at logs. I figured the guys doing sage know what they are doing, and don't need me backseat dictating.

This particular issue, may just not be sage at all, but rather the avermedia card. Sadly. That card worked wonders for so long... but all good things come to an end.

Thanks for the reply btw.
No problem. I don't know for fact that the card/drivers are defective, but it does look like at the very least they don't play well with SageTV for you.

Old 07-21-2017, 03:38 PM
Sage Icon

I remember seeing someone else with a similar issue about a year ago. I don't remember if it was an Avermedia card or something else, but definitely an issue where it didn't handle waking from sleep properly. Windows does have different ways of going to "sleep" - you might experiment with different settings for the Windows power plan, or even check in your computer's BIOS

You might also check for your card in the Windows Device Manager and see if it has any settings you can adjust related to sleep (maybe there is a way to keep power on the card when Windows sleeps?).
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 07-21-2017, 03:47 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
I remember seeing someone else with a similar issue about a year ago. I don't remember if it was an Avermedia card or something else, but definitely an issue where it didn't handle waking from sleep properly. Windows does have different ways of going to "sleep" - you might experiment with different settings for the Windows power plan, or even check in your computer's BIOS

You might also check for your card in the Windows Device Manager and see if it has any settings you can adjust related to sleep (maybe there is a way to keep power on the card when Windows sleeps?).
That's a good suggestion. I hadn't considered that standby might be involved since it wasn't mentioned in the first post.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:55 PM
Sage User

I didn't mention it (sleep) directly, as I wasn't really sure it would be an issue. I'm a bit spoiled having dealt with 'sleep' and 'macs' for decades always working without fault... it hasn't been since recently I decided to delve into sleep with windows 10 (thinking, surely MS has gotten it working by now?).

I may just put this machine to run 24/7 like the old XP one, and say 'screw it' with regards to any intelligent sleep cycles. At least this new machine uses half the watts than my old XP used, so I'll still be saving money even at 24/7

Time will tell though, I need to see how things go as it is, then see how it goes with no sleeping, and compare results. May be weeks before I really have any data points to share.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:26 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I didn't mention it (sleep) directly, as I wasn't really sure it would be an issue. I'm a bit spoiled having dealt with 'sleep' and 'macs' for decades always working without fault... it hasn't been since recently I decided to delve into sleep with windows 10 (thinking, surely MS has gotten it working by now?).

I may just put this machine to run 24/7 like the old XP one, and say 'screw it' with regards to any intelligent sleep cycles. At least this new machine uses half the watts than my old XP used, so I'll still be saving money even at 24/7

Time will tell though, I need to see how things go as it is, then see how it goes with no sleeping, and compare results. May be weeks before I really have any data points to share.
well, if you do end up figuring out that it's just an issue with the tuner not waking well, you could always get a different tuner. An HDHR would likely not care at all about the server going to sleep or not.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 07-22-2017, 07:08 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
well, if you do end up figuring out that it's just an issue with the tuner not waking well, you could always get a different tuner. An HDHR would likely not care at all about the server going to sleep or not.
Right. If it comes to that, that was the one I put on the top of the list to try as a replacement. I'm just really a tightwad when it comes to my HTPC

haha, that old rig was built for $700 over 11 years ago... and upgraded, uhhhhh ... once for $50(?) to replace the hauppauge it had with that avermedia I have now! The new rig is actually just all spare parts from a game rig upgrade (where I throw ALL my money into). Silly priorities I know.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:26 AM
Sage Aficionado

You may want to try the manufacturers driver rather then the Microsoft supplied driver.

The only constant in the Universe is change.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:49 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by UgaData View Post
You may want to try the manufacturers driver rather then the Microsoft supplied driver.
I dug and dug on avermedias site... couldn't find it. Not even in the 'old hardware' section

I did have another vanishing act with the card again this morning after a long night, where the machine apparently tried to sleep, but then was awoken shortly after by windows 10 itself. Silly thing.

But if i manually try to sleep and wake, over and over... cant get the card to vanish.

Still digging.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:23 PM
Sage Aficionado

It may be necessary to disable Windows 10 ability to sleep (at least for now).

Even if you choose to get some other capture device, for the time being, if you stop Windows from sleeping your scheduled recording will have a better chance of happening. This is presuming that you have gotten a recording with the current setup prior to letting it sleep.

The only constant in the Universe is change.

Last edited by UgaData; 07-22-2017 at 07:25 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:08 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I dug and dug on avermedias site... couldn't find it. Not even in the 'old hardware' section

I did have another vanishing act with the card again this morning after a long night, where the machine apparently tried to sleep, but then was awoken shortly after by windows 10 itself. Silly thing.

But if i manually try to sleep and wake, over and over... cant get the card to vanish.

Still digging.
AVerMedia Duet HDTV (AVerMedia A188C PCIe Pure ATSC in Windows Device manager)?

If so I found drivers here:
https://us.driverscollection.com/?H=...)&By=AVerMedia

Actually this might be more recent since it mentions Windows 8:
http://www.pcdriverdownload.com/driv..._tv_tuner_card

I've always just used the drivers that came on the CD for My Duet however but I'm also on Windows 7 x64 pro. I can upload a zipped image of the original CD if that is your card.

Last edited by BobPhoenix; 07-23-2017 at 01:25 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:00 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhoenix View Post
AVerMedia Duet HDTV (AVerMedia A188C PCIe Pure ATSC in Windows Device manager)?

If so I found drivers here:
https://us.driverscollection.com/?H=...)&By=AVerMedia

Actually this might be more recent since it mentions Windows 8:
http://www.pcdriverdownload.com/driv..._tv_tuner_card

I've always just used the drivers that came on the CD for My Duet however but I'm also on Windows 7 x64 pro. I can upload a zipped image of the original CD if that is your card.
Thanks, I'll check out those you linked. I have a CD around here SOMEWHERE I'm sure... just didn't think they would be win10 happy
Old 07-25-2017, 08:53 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Thanks, I'll check out those you linked. I have a CD around here SOMEWHERE I'm sure... just didn't think they would be win10 happy
I think the Windows 7/8/8.1 drivers will load in Windows 10 but you would have to keep Windows from updating them - which might be hard with Windows 10 based on gossip I've heard. Only have my Laptop on 10 currently so not much experience with it yet. Hate the 8/8.1 at work wish they would get 10 seems nicer to me so far. Other than the forced updates. Have tried a few things to stop that and seems to have worked but not 100% sure it hasn't updated on me when I wasn't looking.