SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 04-10-2017, 10:34 AM
SageTVaholic

SageTV logs and verbosity

It appears that SageTV keeps up to three logs on the system, named from sagetv_0.txt to sagetv_3.txt.

In the sage.properties file there is a setting for logfile_rollover_size which by default is set at 10MB (or at least that is the size on my system). Is it also possible to set the number of logfiles to have more than four files?

In addition, is it possible to set the verbosity of the log files?

Mine may be on full right now as I seem to be getting in filling up with EPG data. For example, last night there is a huge entry of EPG data at 22:42. Then there is another big entry of EPG data at 23:10:16 and then another big entry at 23:10:19 and then again at 23:10:26 and then again at 23:10:49 and then again at 23:10:52. These may be separate runs for each tuner, but should I be getting but scheduler entries this often?

My four logs have data for not much more than 24 hours.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:00 PM
Sage Icon

num_logfiles_to_keep=10
Old 04-10-2017, 05:15 PM
Sage Fanatic

log4j sucks, which is what I'm assuming is being used since there are file size and number of file options which are classic log4j settings. I have no clue if there is a setting to set the base log level, (one reason it sucks because there is a hierarchy to levels and you can only set the base level and everything above it is logged). The levels that I've seen (in order) are ALL*, TRACE*, DEBUG, INFO, WARN, ERROR, FATAL, OFF*. (* means things added after the first time I ran across log4j.)

Sorry and way off topic, but I'm a bit of a stickler for logging. At work I want to be able to see logs for something in one place, (which is a somewhat recent option for log4j in a distributed environment), pick my own logging "levels" to record on the fly without having to push "properties" files then restart things, and not have a cap on size or files, but on day and number of days to keep around.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:20 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarylFStein View Post
log4j sucks, which is what I'm assuming is being used since there are file size and number of file options which are classic log4j settings. I have no clue if there is a setting to set the base log level, (one reason it sucks because there is a hierarchy to levels and you can only set the base level and everything above it is logged). The levels that I've seen (in order) are ALL*, TRACE*, DEBUG, INFO, WARN, ERROR, FATAL, OFF*. (* means things added after the first time I ran across log4j.)

Sorry and way off topic, but I'm a bit of a stickler for logging. At work I want to be able to see logs for something in one place, (which is a somewhat recent option for log4j in a distributed environment), pick my own logging "levels" to record on the fly without having to push "properties" files then restart things, and not have a cap on size or files, but on day and number of days to keep around.
Ha. It's worse than that. SageTV is using System.out.println(). It makes me wince a lot when I'm working on core features for so many reasons. I wouldn't be upset if someone gave all of the logging a makeover, but it's a lot of code to change if you're going to read each line and correctly assign it a logging level so I understand why that's probably not going to happen.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Clients: 1x HD300 (Living Room), 1x HD200 (Master Bedroom).
Software: OpenDCT :: WMC Live TV Tuner :: Schedules Direct EPG
Old 04-11-2017, 03:03 PM
Sage

My philosophy (back then) was that I would always want all the logging so that I would never be going back and forth with customers on incrementing the log level. So that's why there's no granularity in SageTV core...and overriding System.out to redirect to log files + stdout was a really easy may to make it happen without introducing a dependency on 3rd party logging code (and likely log4j didn't exist when I started writing SageTV way back in 2001...there was a serious lack of 3rd party Java libraries back then).
Old 04-11-2017, 05:50 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
My philosophy (back then) was that I would always want all the logging so that I would never be going back and forth with customers on incrementing the log level. So that's why there's no granularity in SageTV core...and overriding System.out to redirect to log files + stdout was a really easy may to make it happen without introducing a dependency on 3rd party logging code (and likely log4j didn't exist when I started writing SageTV way back in 2001...there was a serious lack of 3rd party Java libraries back then).
I figured that was why we have what we have. I mostly agree with the philosophy on simplicity and that anything we are logging would likely be desired most of the time, but at the very least I would like to have a significantly shorter way to use logging.

I like logging levels because they also convey intent in a consistent way. I also like them because I use some decent tools to parse logs and I can quickly make a lot of fluff go away to get my bearings on the start of a problem plus the big picture of what's going on around it, then increase verbosity as needed. It's a huge time saver.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Clients: 1x HD300 (Living Room), 1x HD200 (Master Bedroom).
Software: OpenDCT :: WMC Live TV Tuner :: Schedules Direct EPG