SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux > SageTV for unRAID/Docker
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV for unRAID/Docker Discussion related to SageTV for unRAID/Docker. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to SageTV for unRAID/Docker should be posted here.

Old 02-25-2017, 01:22 AM
Sage User

Question Is my SageTV docker stuck or not ?

I am running Unraid 6.3.1

Added the latest SageTV docker with default settings.

Docker container was added successfully. It shows as running.

However, when I click the docker icon and choose WebUI, a new tab is opened but it doesn't load whatever it is trying to load - a rotating engine icon keeps rotating forever.

Here's the tail of the docker log:
Code:
changed ownership of '/var/run' from root:root to root:sagetv
mode of '/var/run/' changed from 0755 (rwxr-xr-x) to 0775 (rwxrwxr-x)
mode of '/bin/mountpoint' changed from 0755 (rwxr-xr-x) to 4755 (rwsr-xr-x)
*** Running /etc/my_init.d/40-lirc...
changed ownership of '/usr/bin/irsend' from root:root to root:sagetv
mode of '/usr/bin/irsend' changed from 0755 (rwxr-xr-x) to 4755 (rwsr-xr-x)
chown: cannot access '/dev/ttyUSB*': No such file or directory
failed to change ownership of '/dev/ttyUSB*' to root:sagetv

chmod: cannot access '/dev/ttyUSB*': No such file or directory
failed to change mode of '/dev/ttyUSB*' from 0000 (---------) to 0000 (---------)

*** Running /etc/my_init.d/85-user-script...
*** Running /etc/my_init.d/90-sagetv...
Changing to SageTV directory /opt/sagetv/server
Executing pre-scripts
Starting server mode
*** Running /etc/rc.local...
*** Booting runit daemon...
*** Runit started as PID 109
Main is starting
Feb 24 23:02:07 Tower syslog-ng[116]: syslog-ng starting up; version='3.5.6'

Feb 24 23:17:02 Tower CRON[279]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
Old 02-25-2017, 01:27 AM
SageTVaholic

I don't think the web server is installed by default. You'll need to install that plugin first before you will be able to use it.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Clients: 1x HD300 (Living Room), 1x HD200 (Master Bedroom).
Software: OpenDCT :: WMC Live TV Tuner :: Schedules Direct EPG
Old 02-25-2017, 01:41 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterNoEscape View Post
I don't think the web server is installed by default. You'll need to install that plugin first before you will be able to use it.
Do you mean a SageTVServer plugin or an Unraid plugin ? If the former, how can I install it without being able to see the UI ?
Old 02-25-2017, 04:40 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by makutaku View Post
Do you mean a SageTVServer plugin or an Unraid plugin ? If the former, how can I install it without being able to see the UI ?
I figured out the answer once I found out there's now an Android SageTV app. The little app is impressive!

From there I installed the plugin and everything works. At least with the Java7 docker.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:41 AM
SageTVaholic

The easiest way to install the web UI is probably by running SageTV placeshifter once you have installed the docker. Download and install placeshifter on a PC and use that to install all of your plugins, do your configuration, etc.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:20 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:

I'm in the same boat. Brand new to Unraid. Installed 6.3.2

Opening WebUI after stuckless sagetv docker install and nothing opens. What web server do I need to install as a prerequisite? I must have missed that.

I installed Jetty plug in on the server.

But when I open the WebUI (Java 8) I get the following:
Error 404 - Not Found.

No context on this server matched or handled this request.
Contexts known to this server are:
/ ---> org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler@56bf1e17{/,file:/opt/sagetv/server/jetty/static}
/apps ---> org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppConte...bapps/apps.war}

Last edited by dealsdyker; 03-07-2017 at 10:42 PM.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:29 AM
SageTVaholic

Okay, so SageTV itself does not have web interface. That has always been an addon/plugin. Since most 'dockers' contain a web interface, there is almost always a WebUI link in the Docker Template, so Stuckless went ahead and configured that link to point to the address/port that the SageTV Web Interface will use when installed. Configuration of SageTV requires an actual SageTV UI anyways, and cannot be done from the WebUI even if it is installed.

The WebUI works in Java 8, with the exception of a couple pieces. I think the Mobile UI doesn't function entirely, and the /apps landing page doesn't currently function. Navigating to specific pages aside from those should work though.

/sage/Home -> SageTV Web Interface
/bmt -> Batch Metadata Tools
/sagex/api -> Sagex API

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room

Last edited by Fuzzy; 03-08-2017 at 02:31 AM.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:25 PM
SageTVaholic

Is there any reason why the Jetty web server and web UI shouldn't be added to the core install of Sage? I remember there was some discussion about a year or so ago about addding some of the plugins to the core install. Why would someone not want the web UI? IMHO it would be better to do some of the configuration in the web UI rather than the basic 10 ft UI or by editing Sage.properties. If I remember correctly this is how BeyondTV worked.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:35 PM
SageTVaholic

Sage has always primarily been designed as a TV interface, and as such, really all configuration SHOULD be able to be done from the TV. Even now, the web interface doesn't provide any configuration capabilities.

I think more importantly, the people who actually made the web interface aren't around anymore to give the okay to roll it in. There has been discussion of generating an entirely new web interface, but it's only been discussion at this point, and is quite a ways down the priority list, when those who want something it can simply install the current plugin.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:26 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
Is there any reason why the Jetty web server and web UI shouldn't be added to the core install of Sage? I remember there was some discussion about a year or so ago about addding some of the plugins to the core install. Why would someone not want the web UI? IMHO it would be better to do some of the configuration in the web UI rather than the basic 10 ft UI or by editing Sage.properties. If I remember correctly this is how BeyondTV worked.
What do you gain from that? I think the idea of the plug-in system is really good. Keep the core focused on the core capabilities and let people choose what they want on top of that. There's been some talk about "install packages" that could be made to pull in "common" plug-ins to make it easier for those not familiar with Sage to get a more advanced experience out of the box, which I also think is a good idea.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:34 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarylFStein View Post
What do you gain from that?
Right now the install_docker_click_webui_link experience is broken. Unless you have used SageTV before (and have previously used/installed the webserver addon, which I have never, despite many years using Sage), you have no idea what to do.

Fortunately, this community is still active and very helpful, but ideally it should not require that.

If it's preferable to keep the webserver out of the docker by default, then I vote to disable the link or direct it to this forum.
Old 03-09-2017, 02:42 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by makutaku View Post
Right now the install_docker_click_webui_link experience is broken. Unless you have used SageTV before (and have previously used/installed the webserver addon, which I have never, despite many years using Sage), you have no idea what to do.

Fortunately, this community is still active and very helpful, but ideally it should not require that.

If it's preferable to keep the webserver out of the docker by default, then I vote to disable the link or direct it to this forum.
new users would be just as confused if the web-link DID work and it brought them to a web interface of a system that has not been configured, with no apparent way to configure it. And the weblink to the web UI IS useful once the server IS setup, and I'm not sure there's a decent dynamic way to have it go one way if the web server is NOT installed, and another if it is.

Old 03-09-2017, 06:14 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
new users would be just as confused if the web-link DID work and it brought them to a web interface of a system that has not been configured, with no apparent way to configure it. And the weblink to the web UI IS useful once the server IS setup, and I'm not sure there's a decent dynamic way to have it go one way if the web server is NOT installed, and another if it is.
I think what Stuckless did was a good compromise. It points you to a web server that would exist if installed. Perhaps if we ever got to the point where you could configure everything through a web interface it would make some sense to optionally auto-install it, but I'm still not sure it will ever make sense as a core feature.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Old 03-09-2017, 06:54 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I think what Stuckless did was a good compromise. It points you to a web server that would exist if installed. Perhaps if we ever got to the point where you could configure everything through a web interface it would make some sense to optionally auto-install it, but I'm still not sure it will ever make sense as a core feature.
Personally... I think that sagetv should have a web server, out the of the box (and not necessarily Jetty), and that the link should go to a landing page that allows you to configure the sagetv setup, including media diectories, recording devices, and EPG. Other things like a bmt replacement, existing sagetv web replacement, etc, could still be installed as plugins and would show up dynamically in the landing page area.

SageTV can be uses a great recording engine, only,, and while it's not hard to install a placeshifter (or Android client), I do think that having the configuration in the web server does make it more convenient.

And like everything else... I've been looking at this, as part of the BMT + SageTV Web Server + Mobile Server rewrite... I just haven't found the time to advance it, nor have I found the right set of tools that I'm happy with (ie GWT vs Polymer vs React vs Bootstrap Plain old HTML and JavaScript).

But I do think that out of the box you should be able to configure SageTV from web ui.

I've even considered modifying the docker container to auto-deploy the jetty server... but I'm not 100% sure I want the Jetty server moving forward... It's gotten pretty heavyweight over the years. I'd rather look at some micro http server if we are going to ship a server with SageTV. And in addition to that, something like a v2 of sagex json apis would likely be included there. It makes sense for something like sagex json apis to be a part of core, since they are generated from the sagetv apis, and when those apis change, the sagex apis need to change as well (and we've had a few cases where the sagex apis are out of sync with the core apis, and it causes issues until I publish a new sagex)
Old 03-09-2017, 08:33 AM
Sage Advanced User

Hi Everyone, I get the confusion completely because... I WAS CONFUSED!

I'm new to Unraid and know just enough unix to do really stupid things.

I believe there will be many many more users like me who come to Unraid just to implement SageTV. Or who have Unraid and want to try SageTV.

I clicked webUI on SageTV and it failed I wrongly thought "Oh crap". Coming from a Windows install I wrongly thought "something wrong!". So I uninstalled the docker, reinstalled the docker, 5 or 6 times. New to unraid as well, I saw that the docker was "green/running". Still... in my head "something wrong!".

I believe this is a good compromise, but not knowing how difficult this is... it sounds easy, so hear me out. Why can't WebUI simply bring up a static single page in big letters that says:

SageTV Server is Running. There are no settings that can be changed from the web interface. Read below for configuration instructions.

Sage TV is a Client/Server application. You must install a client on a windows machine to configure your SageTV server and start recording. To Configure and use your SageTV server please download the current Windows client to a Windows machine from this link.

For help with the Linux or Unraid Version of SageTV ask questions on the forums here.

For help setting up your local program guide with the open source version of Unraid ask questions here.

Are you a developer? Want to get involved? Join us here!

I think this would go a long way to help ease a lot of users along. I know there are a lot of meaty features developers want. But the more we can spoonfeed the masses (and people like me) the more traction and developers and improvements we'll see

Stuckless, how hard to implement a simple static page for now, like above, in the base Unraid SageTV docker so when WebUI opens it would say something like that?
Old 03-09-2017, 09:15 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealsdyker View Post
Why can't WebUI simply bring up a static single page in big letters that says:
Because there is NO WEB UI installed at that point

So that leads into do we include a web ui, do we auto install the plugin... full circle

EDIT:
** But maybe we could add some information to the unRAID tempalte file... I think putting your details that you provided there might help (provided people read the template description before installing the docker image)

Last edited by stuckless; 03-09-2017 at 09:31 AM.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:41 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
EDIT:
** But maybe we could add some information to the unRAID tempalte file... I think putting your details that you provided there might help (provided people read the template description before installing the docker image)
I was thinking about this too, but then I figured people probably won't read it.

Old 03-09-2017, 12:41 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I was thinking about this too, but then I figured people probably won't read it.
I was thinking that the Docker image could include an instance of Apache to proxy the SageTV Web UI and show a custom error message indicating how to get it if it can't reach the page.

Or, on second thought, couldn't the war file just be run from Tomcat? Or am I mistaken?
Old 03-09-2017, 02:56 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
I was thinking that the Docker image could include an instance of Apache to proxy the SageTV Web UI and show a custom error message indicating how to get it if it can't reach the page.

Or, on second thought, couldn't the war file just be run from Tomcat? Or am I mistaken?
I believe that's what we call over-engineering. I suspect that might be more effort than this issue deserves.

Old 03-13-2017, 09:59 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
I would have. But I know I might be an exception. I would have read it on the link in unraid that says "docker thread" or somewhere else. Thanks everyone for thinking about it I just want Sage to grow as cleanly and with as much an "appliance" feel as possible.

Now... someone will probably tell me "It's in the DOCKER THREAD dummy ". And I missed it. But maybe consolidating it on-top somewhere would help. Like I'm saying, I'm really new to Unraid and just really back to feeling like a noob on Unix/Linux. More of me are coming!!