SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux > SageTV for unRAID/Docker
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV for unRAID/Docker Discussion related to SageTV for unRAID/Docker. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to SageTV for unRAID/Docker should be posted here.

Old 01-31-2017, 07:16 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quick question about sagetv docker

I'm playing with unraid right now but I have a quick question about the sagetv docker. Is it a full Linux install with sage included? The reason I ask I saw docker has a windows docker system and an interface called Kitematic for running dockers. I thought I may also try that since I will have to have a windows instance running to use my HD PVR 2 anyway.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:40 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechling-burgh View Post
I'm playing with unraid right now but I have a quick question about the sagetv docker. Is it a full Linux install with sage included? The reason I ask I saw docker has a windows docker system and an interface called Kitematic for running dockers. I thought I may also try that since I will have to have a windows instance running to use my HD PVR 2 anyway.
SageTV Docker is a minimal linux install that does include SageTV. Running this under windows Docker might work, but I don't think the performance will be there (it might be ok). The nice thing about docker is that it runs on top of linux and uses the linux resources directly, and as such, there is almost no overhead when running Docker. If you run it on windows, then likely, behind the scenes there is a linux VM running and the Docker containers are running in the VM.

All that being said, if you get all that to work, and are happy with the performance, you will likely still be out of luck with the HDPVR v2. Just because you are running on Windows... you are still running on Linux, and linux would need the drivers, and it doesn;t have the drivers for V2.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:45 AM
Sage Aficionado

No, I was I planning to run it as a network encoder that is why I need the windows install either way. I know there are drivers for HD PVR2 but they don't use the standard for Linux drivers to interface with Sage.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:44 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechling-burgh View Post
No, I was I planning to run it as a network encoder that is why I need the windows install either way. I know there are drivers for HD PVR2 but they don't use the standard for Linux drivers to interface with Sage.
In that case, I would run windows in an unRAID vm and host the HDPVR2 there...
Old 01-31-2017, 07:49 PM
SageTVaholic

I have not tried it yet but likely will, but the latest Win 10 with a beta docker now supports running both windows and linux based containers and uses the underlying built in windows or Linux subsystems from what i have read. Server 2016 also has this ability.

Eventually i will try this out and report back if someone doesn't beat me to it.

k
Old 02-01-2017, 01:54 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
In that case, I would run windows in an unRAID vm and host the HDPVR2 there...
I do this with for my colossus cards. Works great. Windows 2012 R2 running in a VM on the unraid server.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:16 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by panteragstk View Post
I do this with for my colossus cards. Works great. Windows 2012 R2 running in a VM on the unraid server.
Did you have to do anything special to get this to work?
I tried to pass-thru the Colossus and can see it in Windows but the install program does not recognize as a viable card and will not load the drivers.

I see the card as:
IOMMU group 14
[1745:3000] 02:00.0 Multimedia controller: ViXS Systems, Inc. Device 3000

Retired SageTV in favor of Plex\Emby and YouTubeTV.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:43 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWKerr View Post
Did you have to do anything special to get this to work?
I tried to pass-thru the Colossus and can see it in Windows but the install program does not recognize as a viable card and will not load the drivers.

I see the card as:
IOMMU group 14
[1745:3000] 02:00.0 Multimedia controller: ViXS Systems, Inc. Device 3000
I had the same problem. The latest drivers on the Hauppauge support site doesn't recognize my Colossus cards. I had to use the old driver that came on the CD.

Which version of Windows are you running? I got Sage to recognize the Colossus cards as a source when running Windows 10 but no source found when running Windows Server 2012 R2.

Maybe Panteragstk can shed some light on this.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:48 AM
Sage Icon

I had the same issue with another Colossus card I moved to a second PC. I was able to install using an old set of drivers I still had sitting around. (col_drv_30151). Using the same driver I was able to get the Pass-Thru Colossus card to work in an unRAID Windows VM.

So it appear that the current version of the drivers on the Hauppauge web site do not work. (At least with my Card) My problems had nothing to due with passing the card thru to a VM.

Retired SageTV in favor of Plex\Emby and YouTubeTV.