SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 12-24-2016, 09:43 AM
Sage User

HDHR-US issues

For the last few days my old HDHR-US can't get certain channels in Sage or it's own configuration tool. Curious if someone has seen this behavior in a dying HDHR? I figured it would just work or not, none of this can't tune some channels stuff. Thanks.

If I need a new tuner, is the newer HDHR connect the way to go or are there better options out there? Thanks.
Old 12-24-2016, 01:28 PM
SageTVaholic

Are you using over-the-air antenna, or cable TV clear qam?
Old 12-25-2016, 05:39 AM
Sage User

Over the Air
Old 12-25-2016, 09:32 AM
SageTVaholic

You may have already done most of this, but it might be a good time to stop the SageTV Service, and reinstall the HDHR software from scratch, using the latest HDHR software available. I found this document - it's a bit older, but it still has SageTV mentioned in the setup so hopefully it's still applicable;

https://www.silicondust.com/hdhomeru...un_install.pdf

I always have to go back through this setup document (and make sure that SageTV is the app selected in the HDHR software pull-down) to get this right. I know that with clear qam cable TV, they would occasionally reorganize a few channels at a time, and they would not longer operate until I remap them. I'm not sure that could happen with over-the-air tuning.
Old 12-25-2016, 03:55 PM
Sage User

Thanks KryptoNyte, I've uninstalled and reinstalled the HDHR software. I even updated to the latest which is 20161119.

Silicon Dust forums show a few people having issues with the 20161119 software/firmware. I also found one person that reported changing the power brick fixed similar issues. I don't understand how the power brick could cause these issues, but it's worth a shot.

Anyone else have and old HDHR dual on 20161119 software/firmware and not experience any issues?
Old 12-25-2016, 06:07 PM
SageTVaholic

The Hauppauge HDPVR's are notorious for failures of their power supplies, so it's certainly worth a shot. I can't give you any personal experience with that firmware, and have never experienced this issue previously.

Are you able to check your coaxial connections/splitters and antenna orientation if applicable? I would find it strange that the power brick is the issue if you are able to get some stations reliably, but I suppose anything is possible. Is it both tuners that are missing the same channels? Do you have an HDTV that you can hook up to an antenna and scan for channels as a point of reference for available channels?
Old 12-25-2016, 07:42 PM
Sage User

Swapped tons of cables around with no change, then plugged directly into the TV's tuner and got beautiful pictures on channels that wouldn't scan on the HDHR. Plugged exact same coax configuration from the TV back into the HDHR and still can't get those channels. Both tuners show the same behavior.

If the power brick is cheap enough, I'll just get one, otherwise I'm basically asking if anyone else is having issues with 20161119, serving as a warning to others that 20161119 might have issues (maybe stay away from it), and if anyone has seen issues like this then what fixed them? I downloaded the newest beta from Silicon Dust, no changes.
Old 12-25-2016, 08:00 PM
SageTVaholic

Have you posted this same info on the HDHR forums yet?
Old 12-25-2016, 08:04 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
Have you posted this same info on the HDHR forums yet?
Yes, and they jumped on power supply. I'll go into my abyss of power supply bricks tomorrow to see if I can't find one to similar specs. if not, I'll order one. Thanks.
Old 12-25-2016, 08:10 PM
SageTVaholic

I have an older, unused, HDHR dual tuner (the one with two coax inputs, the original beige model) that I could mail to you for testing purposes - you could mail it back once you're done. Private message me if that's an avenue you'd like to pursue.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:22 PM
Sage User

FIXED! It was the power supply. My volt meter didn't show anything weird with no load, but swapping out the supply definitely did the trick. I've never seen signal strengths so high!
Old 12-28-2016, 11:04 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknowles View Post
FIXED! It was the power supply. My volt meter didn't show anything weird with no load, but swapping out the supply definitely did the trick. I've never seen signal strengths so high!
Often when the issue is capacitors, without a load, things will look ok. It's when a load is present that major ripples or just an overall out of spec drop in voltage will become apparent.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Clients: 1x HD300 (Living Room), 1x HD200 (Master Bedroom).
Software: OpenDCT :: WMC Live TV Tuner :: Schedules Direct EPG
Old 01-07-2017, 09:43 AM
Sage Advanced User

Looking at building a v9 system while keeping my current system in use. What is the tuner card or network device generally used now for OTA? My needs are simple. Today on V7 I use the HDHR-US (2 tuners only, fits my needs). I went looking for a network OTA tuner this morning for my v9 build and I'm not sure what the upgrade the HDHR-US for OTA would be?
Old 01-07-2017, 09:44 AM
SageTVaholic

I would stick with the HDHR if all you need is OTA. You can use the one you have or get one of the newest versions.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:48 AM
Sage User

I agree with wayner, keep the HDHR-US if it still works. Considering OTA HD is 720p or 1080i which can be done by the HDHR-US, I don't see a reason to get a newer tuner.
Old 07-23-2017, 02:26 PM
Sage Advanced User

HDHR-US supports 2 seperate antennas

Old thread but the HDHR-US actually can support 2 separate antennas which may be relevant if you get signals from multiple orientations.

I do not remember what you had to do, but there is some config to get this set up with 2 separate antennas.

The newer units are 2 tuners on 1 antenna, which this also supports.
SD HDHR3-CC w/ RCN Cable FW:20161116
SD HDHR-US (OTA) FW:20150615
Firestick-Lite with Android Mini-Client
Old 07-23-2017, 06:15 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
Old thread but the HDHR-US actually can support 2 separate antennas which may be relevant if you get signals from multiple orientations.

I do not remember what you had to do, but there is some config to get this set up with 2 separate antennas.

The newer units are 2 tuners on 1 antenna, which this also supports.
The older devices had two separate coax connectors, so you could connect 2 separate sources. You didn't have to do anything special to make this work. The newer devices only have one connector (and an internal splitter to connect to the 2 tuners).
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 07-24-2017, 10:03 AM
Sage Icon

When I could no longer get the old HDHR with two inputs I found a join-tenna solution for the station I wanted to add from a separate antenna.
http://www.warrenelectronics.com/ant...Jointennas.htm

This allows you to combine two antennas into one line without necessarily introducing a multi-path problem.

Retired SageTV in favor of Plex\Emby and YouTubeTV.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:21 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
The older devices had two separate coax connectors, so you could connect 2 separate sources. You didn't have to do anything special to make this work. The newer devices only have one connector (and an internal splitter to connect to the 2 tuners).
The following mod was needed to have two separate physical antennas get aggregated. https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/...pic.php?t=8117
SD HDHR3-CC w/ RCN Cable FW:20161116
SD HDHR-US (OTA) FW:20150615
Firestick-Lite with Android Mini-Client
Old 08-04-2017, 06:28 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
The following mod was needed to have two separate physical antennas get aggregated. https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/...pic.php?t=8117
I don't believe you even need to do this is using SageTV, as sagetv already will talk to each tuner directly, and can use it's own scan results for each if set to different lineups in sage.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room