SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 07-01-2016, 04:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

Anyone use the Hauppague HD-PVR?

I have the HD-PVR (with a 120mm cooling fan deftly fitted at the top under the cover) on a power strip that turns it off when the computer sleeps, shuts down etc.

I have, suddenly, started having a LOT of problem with the system either not seeing the HD-PVR when it starts, it starts a split second after the machine powers on, thus missing the recording, or it is not changing channels.

I use the http method of changing channels which will work, but a some point stops - a reboot or two are needed.

My question is, those of you that have this unit, do you leave it "on" all the time? 24/7? Which if I did would/might take care of ONE of the problems?
2 Sage Clients V9.2.2
2 HD-100 Placeshifters - not connected.
Old 07-01-2016, 05:33 PM
Sage Icon

There is a high probability that the external power supply is going bad. There are many similar posts on this forum that had similar symptoms that were resolved by replacing the power adapter.
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 07-01-2016, 05:39 PM
SageTVaholic

Perhaps you could try leaving it on all the time and see if that gets you clear of the issue.
Old 07-02-2016, 05:44 PM
Sage Advanced User

Is it possible that the moderator notify me when my posts are moved into a more appropriate sub-forum?
2 Sage Clients V9.2.2
Old 07-02-2016, 05:46 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
Perhaps you could try leaving it on all the time and see if that gets you clear of the issue.
What I was asking, and didn't make clear I guess, was IF there were people here who DID leave it one 24/7/365 and if the had any problems.

Sorry get in a lot of trouble thinking I AM being clear and I'm the only one who understands what I've said.
2 Sage Clients V9.2.2
Old 07-02-2016, 05:48 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithAbbott View Post
There is a high probability that the external power supply is going bad. There are many similar posts on this forum that had similar symptoms that were resolved by replacing the power adapter.
Before I left this, I searched for this and found nothing. I searched again and found nothing of interest - can you kindly point me to what is seemingly avoiding me?
2 Sage Clients V9.2.2
Old 07-02-2016, 06:04 PM
Sage Aficionado

I have had four HD-PVRs running 24/7 for many years without issues - OTHER than power supplies. Have been through too many to count. Any issue that I have ever had with them has been resolved with a new power supply!
Absolutely the best advice is to try another one!
SERVER: Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz - UnRaid Server 6.8.0/DVB LibreELEC with Docker stuckless-sagetv-server-java9 MOTHERBOARD: ASRock-Z77 Extreme4 / 32GB RAM CACHE DRIVE: SSD 1TB ARRAY: 24TB/7 DRIVES PARITY: 8TB
EXTERNAL DEVICES: 4x HD-PVR's Firewire Channel Changing
TUNERS:NO LONGER RECORDING LIVETV
CLIENTS: 2xHD300 2xHD200 SONY ANDROIDTV MINI-CLIENT
Old 07-02-2016, 07:21 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBraverman View Post
Before I left this, I searched for this and found nothing. I searched again and found nothing of interest - can you kindly point me to what is seemingly avoiding me?
Generally speaking, I tend to have better success searching the SageTV forums with Google. Something like ... "SageTV HD-PVR Power supply."

You might even dig up a post about folks just wiring it directly into their computer's PSU instead.
Old 07-02-2016, 07:27 PM
SageTVaholic

... or you could count 17 threads down from this one (at the time of typing), in this same sub-forum.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:51 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
... or you could count 17 threads down from this one (at the time of typing), in this same sub-forum.

You win. I was searching pages for HD DASH PVR - no-one uses that.
2 Sage Clients V9.2.2
Old 07-03-2016, 11:16 AM
Sage Advanced User

Location: Stockton, CA - Most miserable city in the USA, SageTV makes it bearable
In the end, the fix for myself and others is to tap off your computers 5v power supply. Since doing that over a year ago, my hdpvr has been very reliable.
Client 1, 2, 3, and 4: HD200.
NAS: Synology DS220+ 8TB (Movie Storage)
Sage Add-ons: Jetty, Neilms Webserver (Jetty), Mobile Web, Play-On Plug-in, Comskip Plug-in

Last edited by jarredduq; 07-03-2016 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Auto correct error
Old 07-04-2016, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Is it possible that the moderator notify me when my posts are moved into a more appropriate sub-forum?
There are links at the top of every forum page for "Your Topics" and "Your Posts", so your topics and posts are easy to find.

And, since you are a new user on the forum, please read the forum descriptions so you can see where to post new topics. Thanks.

Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 07-04-2016, 02:03 PM
Sage Advanced User

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarredduq View Post
In the end, the fix for myself and others is to tap off your computers 5v power supply. Since doing that over a year ago, my hdpvr has been very reliable.
Stockton miserable? Try Redding.

Anyway, as usual, I'm think ahead of what I write. I'm not sure this was ever a P/S problem. I put it to bed, woke it up and watched it. The HDPVR always came on the same way, blue light, orange/red light/flash the glam light and set, but there were times the system would not see it. It seemed to me to be a timing issue, the device looks at the USB Hubs, doesn't see it because it's not on, or the opposite, or when it comes on a millisecond "off" and they do not communicate.

I searched (yep I really did )and found a post at Microsoft regarding troubleshooting USB devices. There was a suggestion to change a reg entry (I CAN NOT find it now) that I believe gave the system a bit more processing time to the discovery of USB devices (DO NOT quote me on that - I'll post the link as soon as I can find it). Since then I've been doing the sleep/wake routine 20-30 times a day the last 2 days or so and it hasn't missed once. NOR for that matter, my ATI remote wonders' receiver which did every so often as well.

I had planned on using the computers P/S for some time. Ordered the backplane fixtures and will do that sometime in the short future.

NOW if I can only get it to change channels for more that just one day - but that's another topic that I'll probably NOT post ... I think I've annoyed enough people in one forum for the time being.
2 Sage Clients V9.2.2

Last edited by RBraverman; 07-04-2016 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-04-2016, 03:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Stockton miserable? Try Redding.

Anyway, as usual, I'm think ahead of what I write. I'm not sure this was ever a P/S problem. I put it to bed, woke it up and watched it. The HDPVR always came on the same way, blue light, orange/red light/flash the glam light and set, but there were times the system would not see it. It seemed to me to be a timing issue, the device looks at the USB Hubs, doesn't see it because it's not on, or the opposite, or when it comes on a millisecond "off" and they do not communicate.

I searched (yep I really did )and found a post at Microsoft regarding troubleshooting USB devices. There was a suggestion to change a reg entry (I CAN NOT find it now) that I believe gave the system a bit more processing time to the discovery of USB devices (DO NOT quote me on that - I'll post the link as soon as I can find it). Since then I've been doing the sleep/wake routine 20-30 times a day the last 2 days or so and it hasn't missed once. NOR for that matter, my ATI remote wonders' receiver which did every so often as well.

I had planned on using the computers P/S for some time. Ordered the backplane fixtures and will do that sometime in the short future.

NOW if I can only get it to change channels for more that just one day - but that's another topic that I'll probably NOT post ... I think I've annoyed enough people in one forum for the time being.
You might check your bios for USB settings as well. Increasing the time to have the bios detect USB devices might help. If you bios allows you to do that - anyway.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:30 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarredduq View Post
This is kind of an old post now but I just saw it and it piqued my interest. I have three HD-PVRs that run 24/7. They have been running 24/7 for many years and over that time I have replaced many of the power supplies. Those little power supplies are not very good and fail all to often. I have never thought about or knew it was possible to run them off of a pc power supply. Can someone who has successfully done this post some information about how it was done. I run seasonic modular power supplies. The one in my sage server is a 650 or 750 and I believe they have two 5 volt legs. One has a much higher amp rating than the other. Can you buy modular cables and cut the ends off to connect to the power cable on an HD-PVR? Basically I am asking how you wired it up?

Central Sage Server Win 10 64 Bit, Two HD200, Three HD300, & One PC Client 21 TB storage. SageTv 64 Bit

Last edited by Steve52; 07-16-2016 at 07:47 AM.
Old 07-16-2016, 06:44 AM
SageTVaholic

It's here;

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62284
Old 07-16-2016, 08:57 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Thanks!
I read thru that thread and I understand how it would work now except for one thing. On the barrel connector that plugs into the Hd-Pvr, which is positive, the inside of the barrel or the outside? Usually the inside of these barrel types would be positive and the exposed outside would be negative but I don't know for sure in this case?

Central Sage Server Win 10 64 Bit, Two HD200, Three HD300, & One PC Client 21 TB storage. SageTv 64 Bit
Old 07-16-2016, 02:24 PM
Sage Icon

Isn't there a diagram on the power supply or the connection point on the back of the HD-PVR? Most electronic devices with those barrel connectors for the power supply have a diagram in one or both places (a little picture that looks like a dot with a "C" wrapped around it and a plus and minus pointing to either the dot or the C). I can't get to my HD-PVR to check it right now myself.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR