SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v9 Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV v9 Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV version 9 application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss plugins for SageTV version 9 and newer.

Old 12-13-2016, 04:21 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
Not quite Sage related but can you change the friendly name for Harmony Activities after you complete the setup?
The only way to change the name is to disconnect the account and reconnect it.
Tuner: HDHomeRun Connect Duo
Sources: OTA, Sling Blue, Prime, Disney+,
Clients: ShieldTV (2), Fire TV Stick 4K (4)
Old 12-14-2016, 04:49 PM
Sage User

I don't have Alexa, but I like where this is going. Are you able to initiate playback? (e.g. watch channel x, watch recording of xxx)

Also, it would be cool to see if someone could so something similar with Google Home now that they've opened up their API.

Server: Win10Pro, GigaByte GA-MA78GPM-DS2H, AMD 64 x2 5600, 4GB Dual Channel RAM, 1-DCT-3416 / 2-DCX3400 via FireWire & Unisheen BM3000-HDMI Encoder, NMedia 200SA Case, Crystalfontz 632, USBUIRT, Client & Placeshifter license, 2x HD300 extenders, 2x HD200 extenders.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:06 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by baudfather View Post
I don't have Alexa, but I like where this is going. Are you able to initiate playback? (e.g. watch channel x, watch recording of xxx)

Also, it would be cool to see if someone could so something similar with Google Home now that they've opened up their API.
Yes to the first question

I've also thought about Google Home. Right now I do not have the hardware and haven't looked at the API. Last time I checked the API wasn't published.

Amazon has a big lead with the Echo but I think Google can make some inroads. The biggest drawback of the Echo is that you must use the skill name when asking it to do things. ("Alexa, ask <skill name> to <do something>") Given the large number of skills it becomes difficult to remember all of the skill names! From what I've seen Google Home doesn't need to hear the skill name. I'm not sure how they do that, but I guess the answer is in the API.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:51 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
The biggest drawback of the Echo is that you must use the skill name when asking it to do things. ("Alexa, ask <skill name> to <do something>") Given the large number of skills it becomes difficult to remember all of the skill names!
I think it must depend on how it is implemented. I do not need to do that with the Harmony or Wink skills.
Tuner: HDHomeRun Connect Duo
Sources: OTA, Sling Blue, Prime, Disney+,
Clients: ShieldTV (2), Fire TV Stick 4K (4)
Old 12-17-2016, 11:48 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkGuy View Post
I think it must depend on how it is implemented. I do not need to do that with the Harmony or Wink skills.
I did a little reading last night and you do need to know the "skill" name. Once the Home recognizes the skill name it passes all interaction request straight to your code. Google must approve the skill name before it can be used.

I also have been puttering around with the new functionality offered by the Echo and it rocks! You can now say things like "Play the latest episode of the kardashians" or "play the previous episode of looney tunes" and the Echo will recognize it This is a BIG improvement. It's kind of scary how much this thing recognizes.

All I can say is that Google has their work cut out for them to effectively compete.

I'll give more feedback as I implement the new functionality. Right now I am very optimistic.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:20 PM
SageTVaholic

I had a little time to implement some of the new Echo functionality and it works really well. There are some rough edges but the Echo can now understand TV Series names and episodes. You can now say things like "play the first episode of mythbusters".

That may not sound like much, but it's a big step!

Old 12-21-2016, 03:16 PM

That is awesome my kids will love this. I tried to PM my email address but I think your box is full.

Thanks
Old 12-21-2016, 06:35 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleshot View Post
That is awesome my kids will love this. I tried to PM my email address but I think your box is full.

Thanks
I emptied my inbox.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:26 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
I had a little time to implement some of the new Echo functionality and it works really well. There are some rough edges but the Echo can now understand TV Series names and episodes. You can now say things like "play the first episode of mythbusters".

That may not sound like much, but it's a big step!
That sounds awesome.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:50 PM
Sage Advanced User

This sounds way cool! I'm PMing you my address so I'll have something more to play with during the Christmas holiday.
Old 12-22-2016, 09:09 PM
Sage Aficionado

This does look incredibly cool and I keep thinking that I may want to try this. But does anyone have any concerns about exposing the Jetty web server to the internet?
Client: Fire TV Stick 4K
Old 12-22-2016, 09:16 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfi33 View Post
This does look incredibly cool and I keep thinking that I may want to try this. But does anyone have any concerns about exposing the Jetty web server to the internet?
Doesn't everyone port forward their Jetty server so that they can remotely access their server and initiate recordings or try to troubleshoot? I certainly have for a long time.

I don't think I have been hacked but my Sage system does record lots of shows that have positive portrayals of our dear leader Comrade Putin.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:54 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Doesn't everyone port forward their Jetty server so that they can remotely access their server and initiate recordings or try to troubleshoot? I certainly have for a long time.

I don't think I have been hacked but my Sage system does record lots of shows that have positive portrayals of our dear leader Comrade Putin.
Lol!

Not sure what everyone else does (that's an interesting question), but I use a VPN to remotely access to my Sage server.
Client: Fire TV Stick 4K
Old 12-24-2016, 08:08 AM
SageTVaholic

I finally updated the plugin. Download and unzip the attachment to your sagetv install directory. You will then see under UI Mod Plugins "Sage For Echo".
Attached Files
File Type: zip SageTVPluginsDev.zip (914 Bytes, 148 views)

Old 12-24-2016, 08:43 AM
SageTVaholic

I was able to install on my V9 server but not on my V7 server as V9 seems to be the minimum version.
Old 12-24-2016, 08:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I was able to install on my V9 server but not on my V7 server as V9 seems to be the minimum version.
Yes, I made v9 a minimum in an attempt to debug your machine

Old 12-24-2016, 08:56 AM
SageTVaholic

I just realized there is an error in the JavaScript in the plugin. Unzip the attached and put the .js file into your sagex/services directory. Overwrite the existing file. If you have to re-install the plugin you must also copy this file again.
Attached Files
File Type: zip echoFunctions.zip (5.2 KB, 142 views)

Old 12-24-2016, 09:53 AM
SageTVaholic

Do you have to restart the server when you replace this file?
Old 12-24-2016, 02:31 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Do you have to restart the server when you replace this file?
No.

Old 12-25-2016, 07:45 AM
SageTVaholic

Christmas Update

I just deployed a new version that will allow you to play specific episodes of a show. You can now say things like:

"Play the first episode of <name>"
"Play the most recent episode of <name>"
"Play the first unwatched episode of <name>"
"Play the next episode" (It will assume the last show you played.)
"Play the previous episode"

You will need to unzip and the javascript from the attached file and overwrite the file in the sagex/services directory.

You will also probably have to re-enter you locator ID. Amazon disabled the skill and renamed it to "sage skill". I changed it back to "Sage TV" but that has the side effect of resetting your configuration. I am hoping Amazon does not have an issue with the name "sage TV"

Merry Christmas.
Attached Files
File Type: zip echoFunctions.zip (5.4 KB, 153 views)