SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 05-09-2016, 03:44 AM
Sage Aficionado

Windows 10 => Sage Sluggish - Ideas/thoughts to try?

I just upgraded to Windows 10 and Sage is now VERY sluggish (get the spinning circle for a good 4-5 minutes before I can use an extender and then when I can it is ... press button ... 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... press button ... 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ...). Slow on the PC/Server as well, but say 50+% better than the extender.

I have not had the time to reinstall SageTV yet, do a clean install of win 10 after the upgrade, etc.

Any other ideas, tips or tricks to try? I have an internal HDD I use for live TV, making recordings, etc. and a WD NAS where I keep stuff for playback (copy recordings over every once in a while). Reason ... recording to the NAS and playing back was too much for the network, but this setup (NAS for play back only) worked great till now.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-09-2016, 05:18 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbec View Post
I just upgraded to Windows 10 and Sage is now VERY sluggish (get the spinning circle for a good 4-5 minutes before I can use an extender and then when I can it is ... press button ... 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... press button ... 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ...). Slow on the PC/Server as well, but say 50+% better than the extender.

I have not had the time to reinstall SageTV yet, do a clean install of win 10 after the upgrade, etc.

Any other ideas, tips or tricks to try? I have an internal HDD I use for live TV, making recordings, etc. and a WD NAS where I keep stuff for playback (copy recordings over every once in a while). Reason ... recording to the NAS and playing back was too much for the network, but this setup (NAS for play back only) worked great till now.

Thanks in advance!
Check to see if your virus scanner is scanning your sage tv recordings folder and make an exception for it as well as check your defrag settings as well and see if that it what is causing the slowdown.

Since your playing stuff over a NAS check to make sure your router is up to date as well with the latest firmware.

Those are the few suggestions I can think of at the moment
Old 05-09-2016, 08:44 AM
SageTVaholic

Check that the Java heap size is big enough. The default settings that Sage uses are too low.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:55 AM
Sage Icon

I'm not having any issues like yours after Windows 10 upgrade on 2 different SageTV systems.

You might look into your networking and the NAS, as Windows 10 has HUGE issue with SAMBA after the 1511 update. I had to turn off SAMBA 2 & 3 to do any file sharing after that update.

You may also look at your drivers. I had to fix some of these also, as the MS provided ones didn't work nearly as well as the manufacturer's provided ones.
Server #1= AMD A10-5800, 8G RAM, F2A85-M PRO, 12TB, HDHomerun Prime, HDHR, Colossus (Playback - HD-200)
Server #2= AMD X2 3800+, 2G RAM, M2NPV-VM, 2TB, 3x HDHR OTA (Playback - HD-200)
Old 05-09-2016, 01:18 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHelm View Post
I'm not having any issues like yours after Windows 10 upgrade on 2 different SageTV systems.
Basically ditto. The only slight thing I noticed was that the interaction with a network encoder I have (still running on XP) had changed. I had to increase the wait time a bit in SageTV.properties and that took care of it.

As someone said, check your Windows Defender settings and exclude all SageTV processes from realtime scanning.

Do you know where all the CPU processing is going while you're getting the spinning? Have you looked at the TaskManager?
Old 05-24-2016, 07:28 PM
Sage Aficionado

An update ... in case it saves anybody else trouble ...

As posted previously, I upgraded to Win 10 and have been fighting issues since. I have tried all of suggestions ... disabling the firewall, antivirus/malware software, etc. I have taken it as far as doing a fresh install of Win 10 and dealing with all of the registration/software licensing issues and a brand new install of SageTV 7 .... nothing else on the machine. Granted, my network, PC, etc. knowledge is good enough to get me in trouble, but not quite to the level of the other the "legend" posters out here to be able to really figure this out. Anyway, here is my less than educated/instinctual perspective for those willing to venture the Win 10 world (I am now back on Win 8.1 by the way).

1) SageDCT does not work on Win 10 ... period. OpenDCT however does. So be prepared to switch your network encoder over if using an HDHomerun.
2) Sage & Win 10 seem to work together for the most part ... as long as you don't use a NAS and what my instincts are telling is really more the issue ... UNC paths. From the research I was able to do apparently Win 10 has increased the security somehow/someway on network traffic and this causes issues with Sage. Using hard drives in the server with letter mappings ... I did not seem to have nearly the problems. A NAS with network connections ... I couldn't pull it off consistently.
3) There also appears to be extra security in Win 10 around implementing/using services such as the SageTV service. This appears to be primarily a Java version issue. I can use 8.91 on my Win 8.1 machine no problem. However, in Win 10 I needed to roll it back to 7.something and if I used 6.something (with the original installation package) the service wouldn't stay enabled.

So, after 3 days of installing various different images, trying various different settings, etc. I have officially thrown in the towel, and have rolled everything back to Win 8.1 and Java 8.91 so I may enjoy my bug free, SageTV bliss. To those that can figure it out ... my hats off to you!!!

Happy for Jeff and the boys for their win with the Google acquisition, but I really miss the old days of supporting them with my purchases to see an ever improving product that kept up with or was ahead of the times rolling off the assembly line.

Last edited by malbec; 05-24-2016 at 07:32 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:25 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

As posted previously, I upgraded to Win 10 and have been fighting issues since. I have tried all of suggestions ... disabling the firewall, antivirus/malware software, etc. I have taken it as far as doing a fresh install of Win 10 and dealing with all of the registration/software licensing issues and a brand new install of SageTV 7 .... nothing else on the machine. Granted, my network, PC, etc. knowledge is good enough to get me in trouble, but not quite to the level of the other the "legend" posters out here to be able to really figure this out. Anyway, here is my less than educated/instinctual perspective for those willing to venture the Win 10 world (I am now back on Win 8.1 by the way).

1) SageDCT does not work on Win 10 ... period. OpenDCT however does. So be prepared to switch your network encoder over if using an HDHomerun.
2) Sage & Win 10 seem to work together for the most part ... as long as you don't use a NAS and what my instincts are telling is really more the issue ... UNC paths. From the research I was able to do apparently Win 10 has increased the security somehow/someway on network traffic and this causes issues with Sage. Using hard drives in the server with letter mappings ... I did not seem to have nearly the problems. A NAS with network connections ... I couldn't pull it off consistently.
3) There also appears to be extra security in Win 10 around implementing/using services such as the SageTV service. This appears to be primarily a Java version issue. I can use 8.91 on my Win 8.1 machine no problem. However, in Win 10 I needed to roll it back to 7.something and if I used 6.something (with the original installation package) the service wouldn't stay enabled.

So, after 3 days of installing various different images, trying various different settings, etc. I have officially thrown in the towel, and have rolled everything back to Win 8.1 and Java 8.91 so I may enjoy my bug free, SageTV bliss. To those that can figure it out ... my hats off to you!!!

Happy for Jeff and the boys for their win with the Google acquisition, but I really miss the old days of supporting them with my purchases to see an ever improving product that kept up with or was ahead of the times rolling off the assembly line.
I have mine on windows 10 and do not experience any of your problems. I can run SageTV on any 32 bit version of Java. I am on Windows 10 Pro. I was even using SageDCT before converting to OpenDCT. Most of the network problems in Windows 10 can be avoided by setting the firewall properly also network sharing.

Also avoid using the Sharing wizard and Homegroups.

Last edited by nyplayer; 05-24-2016 at 08:39 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:41 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:

Don't forget to check your power settings as I have my windows 10 machine set to not hibernate but when I was running it in the past I had forgotten to check this setting and it was causing a ton of crap on my server , some of which you describe.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:21 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
Just out of curiosity, and operating on the maxim of the only stupid question being the one that goes unasked.

Are you running a 32 bit version of Windows 10? What does your RAM usage look like? If there is a lot of swap file activity going on that can account for some things too.

Edit: Might also check Windows defender/security essentials out and exclude SageTV from its monitoring, as discussed here: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...97&postcount=4

Last edited by Monedeath; 05-26-2016 at 07:27 AM.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:19 PM
Sage Aficionado

Using the 64 bit version

Yup, had the hibernate issue as well and fixed that.

Regarding the firewall and Windows defender ... Ran it with those completely disabled and still had the same issues.

Tried one more thing ... Ran it without the NAS ... Problems went away ... Am pretty sure it is related to how Win 10 handles Samba or other network security related to a NAS. NAS is a WD 4100EX
Old 06-05-2016, 01:59 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Using the 64 bit version

Yup, had the hibernate issue as well and fixed that.

Regarding the firewall and Windows defender ... Ran it with those completely disabled and still had the same issues.

Tried one more thing ... Ran it without the NAS ... Problems went away ... Am pretty sure it is related to how Win 10 handles Samba or other network security related to a NAS. NAS is a WD 4100EX
Turn off SMB 2+ formats:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2696547