SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 01-31-2016, 05:12 AM
Sage Advanced User

Question Windows Installation V9 Success Stories

Hi All,

I'm going to be attempting a new installation of Sagetv v9 server on a new computer running Windows 10 and using Hauppauge HVR-2250.

Iv'e noticed that there is a beta installer and there are other instructions on how to install v9 manually.

Has anyone had any great success with any method? Can you tell us how you successfully installed v9 on a new computer?

Thanks!

Joe

Last edited by Pelicanjoe; 01-31-2016 at 05:45 AM.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:43 AM
SageTVaholic

IMHO there is really no risk to using the latest installer on a clean system so it should be the best option. It should also cleanly uninstall if you are not happy with the results...but if you have issues please report back so I can work to resolve.

k
Old 01-31-2016, 10:25 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelicanjoe View Post
Has anyone had any great success with any method? Can you tell us how you successfully installed v9 on a new computer?
Use the installer!!! Works great!

I have just done a clean install of Sage 9 on Win 10/32 with Hauppauge 2255 cards.

Best is to install and close the installer, run Sage from the desktop icon to do the initial setup wizard and then set up your service app if you will be running Sage as a service.

It went flawlessly for me with channel scan and channel preview both working perfectly. (When I tried to do my first setup run in service mode I did have a glitch in the setup wizard)

Working great for OTA record/playback with default setup settings.
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT
Old 01-31-2016, 11:14 AM
Sage Advanced User

Talking

Great information Jusjoken and Helen! I was looking at your beta installer thread, but it was reading as if you needed to install v7 first then v9 over it. And Helen, your posts were sounding like they were having some issues. Great to know the work-around!

So, just to be sure I understand what you are saying, you don't need to install v7 then v9 over it?

Also, Jusjoken, do you update the initial beta installer link when a new version comes out? I noticed that there was one at the start of the thread and one toward the end (an update). Would both of them be the same? I did not click on it to see.

Hopefully it is easier than I originally thought!

Thank you!

Joe
Old 01-31-2016, 11:59 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
.....So, just to be sure I understand what you are saying, you don't need to install v7 then v9 over it?....Joe
Yes, just install the V9 Sage UNLESS You have a Sage license and need to keep the closed caption function on your server itself. The CC data is embedded in the stream from the 2250 tuners, so it works on extenders without needing any of the earlier Sage components.
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT
Old 01-31-2016, 12:08 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Also, Jusjoken, do you update the initial beta installer link when a new version comes out? I noticed that there was one at the start of the thread and one toward the end (an update). Would both of them be the same? I did not click on it to see.
The links are both the current version....The first post autoupdates and will always point to the latest windows installer....however, we did run into a little version number issue between myself and stuckless so there is a NEWER folder on BinTray called 9.0.4.220 than the one I created with 9.0.4.224.

So I will get that corrected later today but in the mean time the latest is here....

Last edited by jusjoken; 01-31-2016 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 02:02 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjoken View Post
however, we did run into a little version number issue between myself and stuckless so there is a NEWER folder on BinTray called 9.0.4.220 than the one I created with 9.0.4.224.

So I will get that corrected later today but in the mean time the latest is here....
I have corrected this so all files are now available in the 9.0.4.220 location on BinTray.

Old 01-31-2016, 06:03 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for this great information! I am still building the PC, but this will be very useful and probably helpful to others.

Helen, you said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenWeathers View Post
Yes, just install the V9 Sage UNLESS You have a Sage license
I do have a sage license and plan to use it for EPG data. This won't hurt or help that use of the license?

Thanks!

Joe
Old 01-31-2016, 07:19 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Helen, you said...

I do have a sage license and plan to use it for EPG data. This won't hurt or help that use of the license?

Thanks! Joe
I only mentioned the license in the context of Closed Captioning. IF YOU NEED CC on the server you'll need to install Sage 7 first so whel you upgrade to Sage 9 the components from V7 having to do with CC extraction are kept and reregistered when you install V9 which currently has no CC support,
Old 01-31-2016, 07:21 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks Helen!

I thought you meant that, but just wanted to be sure.

Cheers!

Joe
Old 02-01-2016, 11:17 AM
Sage Advanced User

Hi - I have v7.1.9 installed on my Win7x64 PC. I have the original HDHomeRun as my signal source. I'm primarily using the SageTV service on my PC, but occasionally watch videos on the PC as well.

Can I just run the Windows 9.0.4.220 SageTVSetup.exe, and be ready to rumble? Is there a way to go back to v7.1.9 if I want to?

Thanks,

AzJazz

SageTV: v9.x (on Win7x64)
CPU: Core i7-3770 @ 3.40+ GHz
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600
GPU: nVidia GTX-770
RCVR: HD-Homerun
STB: STX-HD100, HD-300

Last edited by AzJazz; 02-01-2016 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:22 PM
Sage User

I did a clean install of 9.0.3.194(Beta 1) using the new sdepg plugin and 4 networked hd home run tuners and everything works fine. I did not try to upgrade 7.1.9 and beta 3(9.0.4.220) does not work with HD Home Run network tuners which exhibit capture failures.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:49 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanzim View Post
I did a clean install of 9.0.3.194(Beta 1) using the new sdepg plugin and 4 networked hd home run tuners and everything works fine. I did not try to upgrade 7.1.9 and beta 3(9.0.4.220) does not work with HD Home Run network tuners which exhibit capture failures.
Thanks, bryanzim! I'll hold off with trying v9 for now, I guess. I was trying to fix one problem, but I'll probably create a whole ton of others if I have to start from scratch with v9, especially if my HDHomeRun may not work for a while.

SageTV: v9.x (on Win7x64)
CPU: Core i7-3770 @ 3.40+ GHz
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600
GPU: nVidia GTX-770
RCVR: HD-Homerun
STB: STX-HD100, HD-300
Old 02-02-2016, 10:01 AM
Sage User

I installed about a month ago using the manual upgrade from a fresh Sage7 install. Once I figured out how to install and configure the Schedules Direct EPG plugin, it has worked great.

I also have four HDHomeRun tuners, and have had no problems with them whatsoever. Just make sure you run the HDHR setup program that came with the drivers and switch your tuning program to Sage (I initially forgot to change it from MediaPortal, and it was slightly glitchy until I flipped it).

I actually didn't even know about running Sage as a service until a couple days ago. If you're setting up for the first time, make sure you do that before you configure anything (run the program in the Start menu folder for Sage and set it up to run as a service). Switching to Sage as a service caused me to lose a lot of my settings, so I've been trying to reconfigure what I had fine-tuned over the last month. Still can't get my Gemstone recordings view to look the way it did before...
Old 02-02-2016, 01:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerbrad View Post
I actually didn't even know about running Sage as a service until a couple days ago. If you're setting up for the first time, make sure you do that before you configure anything (run the program in the Start menu folder for Sage and set it up to run as a service). Switching to Sage as a service caused me to lose a lot of my settings, so I've been trying to reconfigure what I had fine-tuned over the last month. Still can't get my Gemstone recordings view to look the way it did before...
If you switch from standalone to service mode and want to retain all your settings; just copy the Sage.properties file to SageClient.properties (copy, not rename) and that should do the trick.
Old 02-02-2016, 03:32 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
If you switch from standalone to service mode and want to retain all your settings; just copy the Sage.properties file to SageClient.properties (copy, not rename) and that should do the trick.
Perfect! That is exactly what I needed. Even fixed my recordings list back to how I had it. Thanks!
Old 02-02-2016, 09:45 PM
Sage Fanatic

Yesterday I uninstalled my v7 setup, (backing everything up), and SageDCT. I used the v9 and OpenDCT Windows installers to get things fully running again in about an hour and a half, (including configuring channel lineups, plugins--I don't use many and just the stock UI--etc.) Very painless. I have a license which I entered during the install, but don't need CC, so didn't install v7 first.

I was going to do a manual v9 upgrade over the holidays, but am glad I waited. People have been doing some great work developing and helping debug these tools. Tuners are an InfiniTV4 and a 2250.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:34 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerbrad View Post
I installed about a month ago using the manual upgrade from a fresh Sage7 install. Once I figured out how to install and configure the Schedules Direct EPG plugin, it has worked great.

I also have four HDHomeRun tuners, and have had no problems with them whatsoever. Just make sure you run the HDHR setup program that came with the drivers and switch your tuning program to Sage (I initially forgot to change it from MediaPortal, and it was slightly glitchy until I flipped it).

Have you tried the latest beta 003 installer or are you running the 001 installer which came out a month ago? I have HD Home Run tuners also using the 001 installer. The 003 installer did not work for me and I experienced capture failure and was unable to perform a success full channel scan. The scan would run but no channels found.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:19 AM
Sage Advanced User

Success! I fully uninstalled my version 7.19 and wiped the SageTV Directory completely. Did a full install of 7.19 and without running it installed Beta 003 on top of the clean 7.19 install. Without starting the Service, I ran the application and fully configured it including my Colossus Capture card (which had never worked with Version 9). After all this Version 9 appears to be working properly with my HD200's and HD300's. It also appears that the Java Heap is being read properly for the first time under version 9. I will test a windows Client install on another machine or two later tonight, but it does look like things are finally working well and all is good with my existing setup. Now I just need to walk through testing the new Android Client as I need additional extenders for a second install at a different house! Thanks to everyone for all you have done!
Old 02-03-2016, 07:55 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanzim View Post
Have you tried the latest beta 003 installer or are you running the 001 installer which came out a month ago? I have HD Home Run tuners also using the 001 installer. The 003 installer did not work for me and I experienced capture failure and was unable to perform a success full channel scan. The scan would run but no channels found.
The day after Christmas, I did the manual install detailed here (this was before the SageTV v9 Windows installer was created).

Yesterday, I swapped out my Sage.jar file with the latest 9.0.4.220 version. My HDHR tuners are still working great. I even ran another channel scan after swapping the file --- no problems at all.

Tags
hauppauge 2250, version 9 success stories, windows 10