SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Clients Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Clients Development This forum is for discussions relating to SageTV Open Source Clients Development.

Old 03-02-2016, 08:25 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
Add an issue to the github issues site so that I don't forget. I use the issue tracker to figure out what to work on next.
https://github.com/OpenSageTV/sagetv-miniclient
Thanks, done.

I just had a chance to try the client on the road with my tablet. During playback Skip1 (10 seconds) wouldn't work, but Skip2 (150 seconds) worked fine. I was also having all sorts of issues navigating the UI, (slowness, freezes, etc.) Then I turned off Gemstone. With the stock UI I was able to get around fine.

Now for the weird (and reproducible) part. I would play a portion of one file, stop and all was OK. I'd play a portion of a second file and it would play/skip2 OK, but when I pressed stop there would be a long spinning circle before going back to the list view. Any attempt to play anything after that would result in a long delay and finally a sage.Playback exception. I had to exit, (which gave a "Sage MiniClient has stopped" Android toast message), and restart to get it working again.

HOWEVER, I could play/skip/stop one file, (start from beginning or resume), over and over and it was fine. The spinning circle and playback issue only happened after I played a second file. Maybe some buffer issue?

I tried to check log to file, but nothing appeared on my SD card. I saw a miniclient log on my device home (non-root file manager), but it seemed to be from an earlier version of the client. If I deleted it, it wouldn't get recreated.

Really neat that playback is working! Although I could tell it was transcoded, the quality is as good as Placeshifter on my laptop, (the latter doesn't have a problem with Gemstone BTW).

EDIT: Skip1 works with stock UI

Last edited by KarylFStein; 03-02-2016 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Skip1 works with stock UI--just not Gemstone
Old 03-03-2016, 05:09 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarylFStein View Post
Thanks, done.

I just had a chance to try the client on the road with my tablet. During playback Skip1 (10 seconds) wouldn't work, but Skip2 (150 seconds) worked fine. I was also having all sorts of issues navigating the UI, (slowness, freezes, etc.) Then I turned off Gemstone. With the stock UI I was able to get around fine.
The current version of Gemstone is not a phone/tablet friendly STV. Ideally a new "mobile" stv needs to be created, but that hasn't been worked on. So for phone/tablet, I would stick wtih the STV7 or STV3 (some people say the STV3 is better suited for phone/tablet)

Quote:
Now for the weird (and reproducible) part. I would play a portion of one file, stop and all was OK. I'd play a portion of a second file and it would play/skip2 OK, but when I pressed stop there would be a long spinning circle before going back to the list view. Any attempt to play anything after that would result in a long delay and finally a sage.Playback exception. I had to exit, (which gave a "Sage MiniClient has stopped" Android toast message), and restart to get it working again.

HOWEVER, I could play/skip/stop one file, (start from beginning or resume), over and over and it was fine. The spinning circle and playback issue only happened after I played a second file. Maybe some buffer issue?

I tried to check log to file, but nothing appeared on my SD card. I saw a miniclient log on my device home (non-root file manager), but it seemed to be from an earlier version of the client. If I deleted it, it wouldn't get recreated.

Really neat that playback is working! Although I could tell it was transcoded, the quality is as good as Placeshifter on my laptop, (the latter doesn't have a problem with Gemstone BTW).
The fact that you see spinning circles, means that sagetv "knows" about the blocking... ie, the spinning circle is produced by the server. I don't think there is anything specific about playing multiple files... I use the MiniClient every night to watch 3-4 shows and I never experience issues as you described. That being said, are you running the latest RC2. Up until RC2 there was a bug in the MiniClient that did cause pauses, but that was fixed. This could also be a JVM memory issue on the server. Not sure what your server memory is set to, but, when I have experienced flakiness, it was soon followed by OutOfMemory exceptions in the server log.

I've also done very little testing with the remote placeshifter functionality. I can't even really say it works, since I've never done a test with it... but others are using it, so, I "think" it works
Old 03-03-2016, 08:21 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePaladinTech View Post
Thank you so much for making this! I left sage a couple years ago because most of my extenders died. As I told my brother "I can come home now!"
So, time to update your signature then? This part, in particular, is a little outdated.

Old 03-04-2016, 10:10 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
The fact that you see spinning circles, means that sagetv "knows" about the blocking... ie, the spinning circle is produced by the server. I don't think there is anything specific about playing multiple files... I use the MiniClient every night to watch 3-4 shows and I never experience issues as you described. That being said, are you running the latest RC2. Up until RC2 there was a bug in the MiniClient that did cause pauses, but that was fixed. This could also be a JVM memory issue on the server. Not sure what your server memory is set to, but, when I have experienced flakiness, it was soon followed by OutOfMemory exceptions in the server log.

I've also done very little testing with the remote placeshifter functionality. I can't even really say it works, since I've never done a test with it... but others are using it, so, I "think" it works
I can't reproduce this at home even when I use the external IP to connect. (Gemstone also works fine for me at home.) I did see a log show up, (although not on the SD card), and see tons of entries like the following that seem to correlate to when the spinning circle appeared:

Code:
23:52:42.618 [GLThread 1334] DEBUG s.m.android.gdx.MiniClientRenderer - *** CLEAR RECT ** x:0, y:0, w:2560, h:1600
23:53:08.803 [GFX-my.server.name] DEBUG s.m.android.gtx.MiniClientRenderer - Set Video Bounds: SRC:Rectangle{x=0, y=0, width=720, height=480}, DEST:Rectangle{x=0, y=80, width=2560, height=1440}
23:58:08.837 .... (Repeat)
JVM heap is fine (set to 0x400 and I had Placeshifter open on my laptop checking the heap used).

I am using RC2.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:00 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarylFStein View Post
I can't reproduce this at home even when I use the external IP to connect. (Gemstone also works fine for me at home.) I did see a log show up, (although not on the SD card), and see tons of entries like the following that seem to correlate to when the spinning circle appeared:

Code:
23:52:42.618 [GLThread 1334] DEBUG s.m.android.gdx.MiniClientRenderer - *** CLEAR RECT ** x:0, y:0, w:2560, h:1600
23:53:08.803 [GFX-my.server.name] DEBUG s.m.android.gtx.MiniClientRenderer - Set Video Bounds: SRC:Rectangle{x=0, y=0, width=720, height=480}, DEST:Rectangle{x=0, y=80, width=2560, height=1440}
23:58:08.837 .... (Repeat)
JVM heap is fine (set to 0x400 and I had Placeshifter open on my laptop checking the heap used).

I am using RC2.
The difference, though, from a JVM/Server point of view when using the placeshifter, is that in the case of being on the same LAN it won't transcode... but it does when you are placeshifting. The Android MiniClient doesn't actually know if you are placeshifting or not... ie, it's not the Android Client goes into a different "mode" (which it doesn't). It still processes UI and Media commands the same way.

There are actually lots of CLEAR RECT command being logged (which I need to remove), since everytime you see that, sagetv is telling the client to clear a part (or all) of the screen to allow video to bleed through.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:23 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewg View Post
I'm wired, 1Gb/s to the (linux) server. The same files (and higher b/w BD rips) play fine in kodi on the same shield. I really think it has to be something about my environment.

I'll send you a sample (will PM you the URL).

Thanks for looking (and for writing this thing!)
I tried your sample on my Shield... (I don't have Audio Passthrough -- ie, not connected to an audio receiver). So, the vidoes played fine in both IJK and Exo. Of course in ExoPlayer, I don't have Audio, since I don't have anything handling the passthrough.

So, I'm wondering what happens if you try playing the video file without being connected to an Amp.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:27 AM
SageTVaholic

New Build for TV ONLY -- RC3

I'll will be posting a newer Phone/Tablet build as well, but, this release focuses on the Android TV build, and using the Android TV Leanback UI for the startup.

I am hoping to get an actual playstore release done, soon. (ie, I am hoping this is the last of the RC releases for the TV -- probably one more for Phone).

Please do NOT install this apk on a phone. It might work, but not well.

UNINSTALL the old version before install this one (or else you'll have 2 SageTV applications with the same icon)

Last edited by stuckless; 03-05-2016 at 08:33 AM.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:58 AM
SageTVaholic

Using EXOPLAYER and the soon to be released Beta OPenDCT I am able to play all formats on this miniclient.... I can pause and Seek liveTV.
IJKPLAYER appears to crash on my 720P H.264 TS files.

If you need a sample of 720p H.264 file let me know.

Last edited by nyplayer; 03-06-2016 at 08:06 AM.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:22 AM
Sage User

RC3 crashes on any playback for nexus player. RC2 is working fine. RC3 installed a new instance, so I have 2 android clients installed on the nexus player.

Amazing work to date.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:27 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisch View Post
RC3 crashes on any playback for nexus player. RC2 is working fine. RC3 installed a new instance, so I have 2 android clients installed on the nexus player.

Amazing work to date.
Same for me. I noticed the new file on bintray and installed before reading the post. I tried and it kept crashing. Went to uninstall and noticed two instances. Uninstalled both, rebooted, reinstalled RC3 and still crashing. I noticed that it reported RC2 in the settings page. Not sure if I have some residual files left over from the previous installs. This is on a NP as well. Had not posted due to not having logs but thought I'd mention that the problem appears to not be isolated as bisch is reporting as well.
Sage Mini Client on Amazon Fire Sticks and Android TVs
Old 03-06-2016, 12:34 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisch View Post

Amazing work to date.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinki View Post
Same for me. I noticed the new file on bintray and installed before reading the post. I tried and it kept crashing. Went to uninstall and noticed two instances. Uninstalled both, rebooted, reinstalled RC3 and still crashing. I noticed that it reported RC2 in the settings page. Not sure if I have some residual files left over from the previous installs. This is on a NP as well. Had not posted due to not having logs but thought I'd mention that the problem appears to not be isolated as bisch is reporting as well.
Just so I understand... you can get into the new app (uses the leanback UI as per the image) and connect to a server, but when you try to play any video using IJKPlayer it will crash?

I have this build on 2 ShieldTV units, and I haven't had an issue. Not sure what the issue could be with the Nexus Player.

If I could get a log, that certainly would help.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:46 PM
Sage Icon

The "stateful remote" has not worked the past couple of builds for me. When watching video, pressing OK on my remote (Harmony remote on Shield TV) brings up the OSD instead of pausing.

I guess it still is a work in progress, but I just wanted to report that MPEG-2 playback seems generally pretty good but seeking is problematic. Using ExoPlayer, after several skips forward it jumps all the way to the end of the file. Using IJKPlayer, there seems to be slow-motion playback for a few seconds after skipping and occasionally the lip sync seems off after skipping. With both I cannot skip while the video is paused.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:30 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncb View Post
The "stateful remote" has not worked the past couple of builds for me. When watching video, pressing OK on my remote (Harmony remote on Shield TV) brings up the OSD instead of pausing.

I guess it still is a work in progress, but I just wanted to report that MPEG-2 playback seems generally pretty good but seeking is problematic. Using ExoPlayer, after several skips forward it jumps all the way to the end of the file. Using IJKPlayer, there seems to be slow-motion playback for a few seconds after skipping and occasionally the lip sync seems off after skipping. With both I cannot skip while the video is paused.
Stateful remote only works against a V9 server, but even then, it's not 100%. Basically I'm having to "guess" about the media state, provided that sagetv is sending me the hints (which is does in V9). It;s because of this that I added the "enable" stateful remote action in the on screen navigation.

Skipping while paused will probably never work (at least not, doesing a frame-by-frame skip).

I get the IJKplayer slomo for about about 1/2 second after a skip a skip as well.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:34 PM
SageTVaholic

Release Candidate 4

I'm wondering if the last RC3 was just a bad APK. So, I did a full clean and rebuild, and published a RC4.

There is one other change with RC4 an that is it will force a new configuration wizzard, since, I'm having to auto-generate the clientid instead of using the MAC address. In Android 6, you can no longer get the MAC address, so I'm creating a fake one.
Old 03-06-2016, 02:33 PM
SageTVaholic

IJKPlayer Still crashes on Comcast H.264 720P... EXOPLAYER plays it fine.
Old 03-06-2016, 03:44 PM
Sage Expert

Seeing the same thing, exoplayer plays (but not well on my NP and my sources), but IJKPlayer FC's as soon as I try to play live video.

I've got a log but am having a hard time accessing it on my chromebook. I'll follow up from my pc in a bit with the log. Thanks for looking at this.
Old 03-06-2016, 03:50 PM
Sage Expert

Here it is
Attached Files
File Type: zip SendLog.zip (8.5 KB, 98 views)
Old 03-06-2016, 03:58 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Just so I understand... you can get into the new app (uses the leanback UI as per the image) and connect to a server, but when you try to play any video using IJKPlayer it will crash?

I have this build on 2 ShieldTV units, and I haven't had an issue. Not sure what the issue could be with the Nexus Player.

If I could get a log, that certainly would help.
I have the same issues. RC2 plays fine on IJKPlayer on nexus player, but on RC3 and RC4 it crashes whenever it starts media playback. Works fine on the ShieldTV thou. Not sure if maybe your not including the libraries that are X86 on the apk and that might be doing the crash ?? Or i cant think on another difference from why it works on one device but it wont work on the other

Old 03-06-2016, 04:27 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinki View Post
Here it is
definately not the right log file...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni View Post
I have the same issues. RC2 plays fine on IJKPlayer on nexus player, but on RC3 and RC4 it crashes whenever it starts media playback. Works fine on the ShieldTV thou. Not sure if maybe your not including the libraries that are X86 on the apk and that might be doing the crash ?? Or i cant think on another difference from why it works on one device but it wont work on the other
I guess I'll have to setup my Nexus Player and see what is going on. I've looked at the APK and there doesn't appear to be anything missing. Unfortunately, I won't get back to troubleshooting this until next weekend

My recomendation is don't install anything later than RC2 until I can troubleshoot this on the nexus player.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:29 PM
SageTVaholic

Does anyone know what version of Android they are running on the Nexus Player? I'm wondering if this is somehow related to something in the android version that I might have accidentally included. I'm running 6.0 on everything, and it run on my phone and shield tv.