SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-21-2015, 12:52 PM
Sage Advanced User

Library scan only one directory?

I'm sure this has been asked but my search skills are failing me :/

I have one small library import directory that is updated frequently, several times a day. My large "Archived TV, Movies and Music" directories are rarely ever modified, maybe once a month.

When I perform a manual library scan, the scan takes too long to get to the small directory which is the only one which has had changes.

I'd like to be able to initiate a manual library scan that updated only the small import directory, excluding my Music etc. directories so that it will complete quickly.

tl;dr Ideally, I would like to have two different scans set up (with menu links to manually initiate both), one that scans all of my directories every 24-48 hours (deep scan) and one that scans the small, frequently modified directory every 10 minutes (quick scan), for example.

Is that possible? I removed music completely from my Plex server for this same reason. The scans take too long with my large music collection included.

Thanks so much in advance!
Old 06-21-2015, 02:33 PM
SageTVaholic

Not in the current version.
Old 06-21-2015, 03:46 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for the info. Are you aware of any other solutions that would achieve a similar result? or a scan is all or nothing?
Old 06-22-2015, 01:18 AM
SageTVaholic

I think in sage, a scan is a scan. You might look into WHY the scan is taking so long. It should only be checking filenames and dates if nothing has changed, so it shouldn't take long. There may be a single corrupted file that crashes out and never gets added to the library, so it attempts each scan, and then has to wait til it crashes to move on.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 06-24-2015, 04:26 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks Fuzzy. Well, it's not taking THAT long really, maybe 2-3 minutes, but I just hate when I copy a file over, then have to initiate a scan, twiddling my thumbs until it finishes before I can watch it. I could just browse by directory within sage, but I like the Gemstone flow I normally use better.

I'll check to see if any particular files are causing it to hang up but I'm guessing it's one of those little things I'll have to live with. Thanks!
Old 06-25-2015, 10:52 AM
Sage Icon

I'm not sure what I did after I updated my hard drives, but my scan is down to about 8 seconds. The first few times I ran it, I thought I'd left out some directories!!!

~2000 music
~2400 video
~1500 pictures

There are all on the local machine, using drive letters, not UNC paths.

Suggestion for checking when you have a lot of directories. Rename a directory, then add an empty one back in it's place, rescan, repeat until you find the directory causing the issue.
Server #1= AMD A10-5800, 8G RAM, F2A85-M PRO, 12TB, HDHomerun Prime, HDHR, Colossus (Playback - HD-200)
Server #2= AMD X2 3800+, 2G RAM, M2NPV-VM, 2TB, 3x HDHR OTA (Playback - HD-200)
Old 06-26-2015, 02:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHelm View Post
I'm not sure what I did after I updated my hard drives, but my scan is down to about 8 seconds. The first few times I ran it, I thought I'd left out some directories!!!

~2000 music
~2400 video
~1500 pictures

There are all on the local machine, using drive letters, not UNC paths.

Suggestion for checking when you have a lot of directories. Rename a directory, then add an empty one back in it's place, rescan, repeat until you find the directory causing the issue.
Thanks, I have about 25k video+audio files. I trimmed down the directories I was scanning to eliminate scanning things I'll never be looking for and it still takes 2 full minutes to scan. Is that abnormally long for that number of files?? Did you put your library on a SSD? I'm guessing not

I checked phoenix-metadata.log to monitor for errors/hangs and also to see what is missing metadata, but the log is blank. Do I have to enable logging somewhere? *edit*: answered my own question on this one. i see that this file is updated "per session" and I had deleted all logs to get a fresh set

Last edited by jughead; 06-26-2015 at 07:55 PM.