SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-16-2015, 03:30 AM
Sage Advanced User

Generated Thumbnails directory

I was looking around trying to find out what was taking so much space on my SSD when I found the GeneratedThumbnails folder with its 37,500 files taking up 730 MB. Not the biggest waste of space I've found tonight, but most of the thumbnails seem to belong to tv shows and videos I've already watched and deleted (heck, some of these belong to a hard drive that no longer exists). I assume it's safe to delete all the orphaned thumbnails, or just delete everything older than say a month, or just delete everything, and SageTV will re-generate the thumbnails as needed.

Just wanted to run that by everybody before I do something stupid.

Last edited by troycheek; 06-16-2015 at 03:36 AM. Reason: added link to what I'm about to attempt
Old 06-16-2015, 06:29 AM
SageTVaholic

You can delete them. I think Sage deletes the orphans every time it starts up - but I'm not certain about that. How long has it been since you've restarted Sage?

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 06-16-2015, 04:41 PM
Sage Advanced User

I checked the server PC (where SageTV is running mostly headless as a service) and it only has about 2000 thumbnails, which counting my recorded shows and imported videos sounds about right, so it appears to be deleting them just fine.

I'm current working on the client PC (SageTV installed as normal but the desktop shortcut set to "-client -connect cheekmain-pc") and that's the one with the thousands and thousands of thumbnails. I start and exit multiple times per day, but I have thumbnails dating back to 2012, which is I think when I first installed SageTV on the client PC.

I'm thinking of setting up a scheduled task to delete files older than a month every week or so.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:20 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by troycheek View Post
I checked the server PC (where SageTV is running mostly headless as a service) and it only has about 2000 thumbnails, which counting my recorded shows and imported videos sounds about right, so it appears to be deleting them just fine.

I'm current working on the client PC (SageTV installed as normal but the desktop shortcut set to "-client -connect cheekmain-pc") and that's the one with the thousands and thousands of thumbnails. I start and exit multiple times per day, but I have thumbnails dating back to 2012, which is I think when I first installed SageTV on the client PC.

I'm thinking of setting up a scheduled task to delete files older than a month every week or so.
Actually sounds like a bug to me. They should get deleted automatically.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:51 AM
Sage Icon

I've never had a client clean up the GeneratedThumbnails.

I just added the directory to the includes in CCleaner, and Sage just makes new ones as/if needed. I also skip that directory on any backups.
Server #1= AMD A10-5800, 8G RAM, F2A85-M PRO, 12TB, HDHomerun Prime, HDHR, Colossus (Playback - HD-200)
Server #2= AMD X2 3800+, 2G RAM, M2NPV-VM, 2TB, 3x HDHR OTA (Playback - HD-200)
Old 06-17-2015, 06:44 PM
Sage Advanced User

Yeah, that does sound like a bug. Once SageTV goes open source, I'll put a bounty on it.

In the mean time, even with an 8 core 3.6 GHz CPU and a lightning fast SSD, deleting 30,000 jpg files took long enough that I got bored watching and went out for lunch.
Old 06-18-2015, 02:05 PM
Sage Icon

That's a windows file system issue.
Server #1= AMD A10-5800, 8G RAM, F2A85-M PRO, 12TB, HDHomerun Prime, HDHR, Colossus (Playback - HD-200)
Server #2= AMD X2 3800+, 2G RAM, M2NPV-VM, 2TB, 3x HDHR OTA (Playback - HD-200)