SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 07-31-2014, 01:47 AM
Sage User

Service Control won't start

I have a new PC that has been running Sage 7.1.9.256 OK for about 3 weeks.

Windows 7 x64

Looks like Java updated and broke it.

I am getting the "service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion" error when starting the Service Control.

I tried rolling back to a Restore point but that made nothing work.

I removed Java and Sage. Reinstalled both. I rolled Java backwards to Java 6 Update 31. Still no go.

I have tried the windows registry fix of adding the entry ServicesPipeTimeout but that didn't work.

Of course I have been ensuring Sage is not running while playing with the JAVA and I have done many reboots.

I'm at a loss. Any Ideas?
Old 07-31-2014, 06:12 PM
SageTVaholic

Did you enable a placeshifter any time in the last day or two?
Old 07-31-2014, 06:35 PM
Sage User

No I don't use placeshifter. Just using a HD300 on this unit. It was working fine up to a couple of days ago. The only thing I can see that changed was JAVA.

I have uninstalled SAGE & Java, deleted the Sage folder, rebooted then reinstalled Sage. It prompted me to reinstall Java 6 10 from the Sage install file.

After that the problem still occurs. Has me baffled.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:37 PM
Sage User

I have also tried starting the Service control as a user rather than than loacl user and that didn't help.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:40 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Beddows View Post
I have also tried starting the Service control as a user rather than than loacl user and that didn't help.
Make sure SageTV service and Sagetv have full access in your firewall. Sometimes that changes when you do updates.

Last edited by nyplayer; 07-31-2014 at 06:47 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:14 PM
Sage User

I looked in the firewall and there is only one application for Sage listed and it is allowed.
I also tried with the firewall turned off.

For the time being I can get the HD300 to see the server if I have the top choice on the service control set to "Use Sage Service Yes" but I have to have an instance of Sage open and running on the desktop for it to work.

My goal obviously is to be able to start and run the Sage service with the lower buttons on the service control so that the user can log off and switch user can happen without effecting things. Basically the service running in the background.

It is only when I try to start the "Sage Service State" that I get the timely fashion error.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:55 PM
Sage User

I also tried increasing the ServicesPipeTimeout in the registry settings by 1000 times but it didn't help. Funny enough the error pops up just as fast as it did before I increased it. However if I look in the windows error logs it states that the service timed out after the longer period I set in the registry.

I knew it was a long shot. My gut feeling is that something is missing from Java. However, I have no idea what and why re-installing Java 6 10 using the SAGE Installer didn't help.

I have also tried coping the wiz & property files from an earlier working instance of a backed up sage directory that I took when I originally put this online a few weeks back.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:36 AM
SageTVaholic

This is what I would do. Shutdown Sage Completely remove Java Remove Sagetv delete the SageTV folder. Run chkdsk /f .. on my c drive. Reboot completely (very Important to reboot). Install SagetV and Java. Bring up Sageservicecontrol set user and enable service. Start Service.

Last edited by nyplayer; 08-01-2014 at 07:39 AM.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:52 AM
Sage User

I did that last night for the second time. However, I didn't do a check disk. This is a brand new Solid State Drive and everything else is OK. I could try that again with check disk but I don't know how many times I should uninstall Java & Sage and reinstall them. It is sort of messy when it doesn't fix it.

Note: I did do the restart
The error still occurs.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:48 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I did that last night for the second time. However, I didn't do a check disk. This is a brand new Solid State Drive and everything else is OK. I could try that again with check disk but I don't know how many times I should uninstall Java & Sage and reinstall them. It is sort of messy when it doesn't fix it.

Note: I did do the restart
The error still occurs.
I did not know you were using a Solid State guess I missed that or you didn't mention it I am not sure about chkdsk on solid state drives. So maybe someone else can chime in if they use a solid state drive.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:15 AM
Sage User

I'm still stuck on this. I tried removing net framework and re-installing it. It didn't help.

Before I removed it there was 2 versions. 1.1 & 4.5

Now I just have 4.5 installed
Old 08-14-2014, 05:04 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
I'm still stuck on this. I tried removing net framework and re-installing it. It didn't help.

Before I removed it there was 2 versions. 1.1 & 4.5

Now I just have 4.5 installed
You'll need the .net frameworks which is required for sage. .Net frame are independent for various programs. You may also need to update the java runtime for the version of java you are using. Everything will have to be 32 bit (x86) for it to work with sage.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:35 PM
Sage Aficionado

While they can be pretty useless for things like this, is there anything in the Windows logs?
Old 10-10-2014, 12:05 PM
Sage Icon

I'm having the same issue for several months now. I was away on vacation in August and when I left everything was fine and I could access SageTv remotely with the Web server.
I too installed a Java update and the next time I rebooted the machine remotely I could no longer get into the machine with the Web Server. I went in via remote desktop and found that the service was not running so I set up SageTV.exe to run on bootup to keep my recordings going.

When I got home I found that same message (....took too long to respond....) and the service wouldn't start.

I've tried removing SageTv shutting down, rebooting and re-installing SageTV from scratch with no change, I still get the message.

Anyone find an answer to this?
Old 10-10-2014, 02:03 PM
Sage User

I had the Same problem getting service to start.
Not at home to give specifics, but I Re-installed Sage to a new Directory in the root of C. Different from the one I was using. This of course made me re-set all favorites, settings, plugins, etc.(I did not copy Wiz.bin or any properties)

I had to go this drastic after I tried everything, Java, Wiz.bin, properties, nothing I changed or reset would get the service to run.

Not Ideal solution, but I needed to watch football! Plus, after running exact same set-up for over 3 years with no changes, I needed to clean out all the crud (old plugins, old favorites, old settings, etc.) It also gave me a chance to re-organize my tuners and my Client list in TiSAGEtv

It didn't take as long as I worried, to re-set favorites and plugins. Now I use less plugins, only the ones I really used. Used Forum to re-set up Sage DCT(Upgraded to latest version as well) Upgraded HDHome run firmware as well.

Plan Ahead if you have to go this route! Write down Favorites, Plugins etc.
HD-100(x2), HD-200(x2), HD-300(x2), MVP(x2) ,HDHR-(original), HDHR-Dual, HDHR-Prime, SageDCT, Hauppauge HVR-1600 & 1800, Windows 7(64bit) Pentium Dual-Core E6300 2.8gHz, 4GB, Gigibit E-Net, Placeshifter(x2), Client (x1)...
I've Tried all Media Centers, Sage Still The Best!
Hmmmm, Google Fiber
Old 10-10-2014, 02:13 PM
Sage Icon

As someone else stated, shut down SageTV (service if running and all clients on server).

Uninstall all versions of Java.

Reinstall the latest Java 7.x x86 (I currently have 1.70_76. Run javacpl.exe, tab Java, View... )

This is called Java SE 7u67 on the Java web site. Do NOT try to use/update to any Java SE 8.x. (I caught my Anti-virus trying to install Java 8.x)

You can have both x86 and x64 on the same machine, but you will need to manually update the x64. (I'm running this way right now.)
Server #1= AMD A10-5800, 8G RAM, F2A85-M PRO, 12TB, HDHomerun Prime, HDHR, Colossus (Playback - HD-200)
Server #2= AMD X2 3800+, 2G RAM, M2NPV-VM, 2TB, 3x HDHR OTA (Playback - HD-200)
Old 10-11-2014, 07:33 AM
Sage Aficionado

There are other posts about Java update issues and one of the solutions with Java 7 + was to install the latest Visual C++ runtime libraries.

The only constant in the Universe is change.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:37 AM
SageTVaholic

This doesn't necessarily help folks coming to this thread with a problem, but may help to avoid future issues for anyone reading.

I had a similar issue where the SageTV service would startup and run for about 3 minutes, then it would shut down. This problem started immediately after I attempted to connect a placeshifter to the server for the first time. I disabled the placeshifter options, but the service continued to shutdown about 3 minutes after bootup.

I was never able to determine what was causing the problem (I was not logging at the time, nor did I understand how to read the logs).

Fortunately, I keep a image of this system, and re-image about every two months using Acronis True Image Home. I even have a dedicated 2GB flash drive that I have sitting next to this machine that I used as the Acronis emergency boot media (Acronis can create this on the flash drive for you).

So basically, there are (2) things that keep Sage going for me:

1) The boot drive where Sage software is installed is an SSD (or other type of hard drive), and my recordings are set to save to another hard drive in the machine, so reinstating a prior system image to the boot drive is painless when no recordings are present on the boot drive. I keep the Acronis system image on the second hard drive with the Sage recordings, which is accessible when using the flash drive to boot into the Acronis environment to reinstate the image.

2) Acronis system image (1 to 2 months old) that I can reinstate to the SSD boot drive in less than 10 minutes anytime I need it to correct some strange problem that I just don't have time (or know-how) to troubleshoot.

I feel that a method like the one above, or something equivalent, is necessary on any SageTV system at this time.

Last edited by KryptoNyte; 10-11-2014 at 08:39 AM.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:13 AM
Sage Icon

Well, just about a half hour ago I FINALLY got it working. I have two SageTv servers, one on the old WHS (the *new* machine), and one now running on a new box and WIn8.1 (the *old* machine, which is actually a newer physical machine that replaced my old Win-XP machine).

The WHS machine almost never hiccups. The only time it might do that is when my original HD-PVR locks up and I have to power cycle it (have a internet enabled Web Switch so I can even do it remotely). Maybe once every 2 months the machine will crash for unknown reasons. Nothing is ever in the logs so it must be a immediate lockup, again that remote power switch comes in handy in that instance since I have the motherboard set to power on whenever there is a power loss.

The Win8 machine has been kind of a pain right from the get go. Due almost completely to the *new* structure for storing program data/settings/etc.
My first mistake was just porting my old folders over from the XP machine. I put them in the Program Files x86 directory, but SageTv and many of its plugins wanted to put things in Program Files. So I ended up having it in both directories. Some things would write to the Files directory and some to the x86, but it was working for over a month before I suddenly lost SageTV Service and the parts of the webserver.
My desktop SageTV widget would still show the upcoming recordings, but I could not browse to the webserver pages. Phoenix Sage would still work in my Android phone. Truly odd.
Odder even still, by recopying the SageTV Service programs from the V7 with V6 keys files SageTV service started working again. Not sure how that happened because I know for a fact that I had already done this when the files first came down the pike.
However the webserver problems still existed.

So yesterday I backed everything up and uninstalled SageTv and removed ALL the folders that I could find (again I had them backed up so I could get them back if necessary) and installed SageTV "fresh".
At first I tried using my existing wiz.bin and sage.properties, but almost none of the plugins would work even after uninstalling and re-installing them in SageTv.
So, plan "B" (ok, maybe plan *M*) I wiped it all out again and this time only used my wiz.bin which I have had since maybe even pre SageTV v4, but at least SageTV v5. No way I wanted to lose the massive list of favorites as well as the history of what I have already watched, Don't Like'ed, etc. But I let it build a new sage.properties file.
As soon as I got it up it found my old HDHomeRuns (the old OTA/QAM white units) which had been missing and unusable since I made the move to Win8, even with LOTS of attempts to get them working.
At this point I shut down the service and pulled my HDHomerun Prime assignments from my old sage.properties and put them in the new sage.properties. Viola after setting up the lineups I had all my tuners back!

However the webserver stuff was no longer working and I had also lost my desktop gadgets functionality for that machine.

This morning I started comparing settings between my WHS machines Jetty, and Sagex plugins. The problem ended up being in one of the sagex plugins. After fixing that one setting and restarting the Jetty webserver I got my Win8 machine working. HUZZZAH!!! Oh crap, suddenly on the next desktop gadget update my WHS machines SageTv gadget was blank and I couldn't get to any of the WHS webserver pages.
Turns out is must have just been a glitch because after rebooting both machines I now have full functionality on both machines for the first time since August!! Access from my main computer, laptop, and phone for the webserver and Sage Phoenix on the phone.!!

Just in time too, I'll be heading out for a couple weeks so remote access is my only option and trying to handle the Win8 machine through TeamViewer (which IS awesome) is much less efficient than using the webserver.

Last edited by waynedunham; 10-12-2014 at 11:16 AM.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:06 PM
Sage Icon

I got back from Maine a few days ago and am glad to say that everything worked as smooth as butter while I was up in Maine. I could log on via the Remote Web Server to do maintenance, add/remove recordings, etc.