SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-14-2014, 06:36 PM
Sage Aficionado

Where we have been, where we are today, and where are we going?

Been a long long time since I've been active in this forum, but my current SageTV hardware, besides being dated (Core 2 duo era), is also starting to get flakey. It might be OK to wipe it clean and reinstall windows (etc) but 5ish years ago when I put it into service it was supposed to be temporary and the hardware has always been somewhat temperamental.

So anyway, I'm building a new PVR machine . In the process I have evaluated JRiver, MediaPortal, NextPVR, and XBMC PVR (with NextPVR and Argus TV as the backend). SageTV is, hands down, still the best out there. I see potential in the others, but they're all lacking in one thing or another compared to what we enjoy today. For PVR functions, WMC is a pretty close second. I came to SageTV from WMC, and if I had to make a choice that is probably (reluctantly) where I would return if forced.

So anyway, enough small talk. I have some questions about contemporary installs of SageTV 7 on Windows 7 x64.

What version of Java should I use? My current install uses Java 6r26. I kept it current in the past that but I had problems starting with 6r3-something so rolled it back. I read some other recent threads that recommended Java 6r24, and I see a few brave souls have moved to Java 7. Hmmm, Java 7, SageTV 7, Windows 7...it does have a nice ring, doesn't it?

Windows updates - enable or disable? I've seen some people having issues with recent updates breaking guide data and/or the recording schedule (I think?). I'm seriously considering installing SP1 and nothing more. Machine is only used for SageTV but I intend to add internet streaming via Plex and/or XBMC.

SageTV 7 updates and other core system patches. Anyone have a complete list of what I need and where to find them?

Is there a consensus on the most stabile colossus drivers (ya, I should probably ask in the hardware forum). I currently use something very old, but it was the first release that actually worked as-advertised for me so I've been reluctant to update.

TIA!
Old 03-16-2014, 07:17 AM
Sage Icon

Depends upon which Plugins you use. Especially if you use Slugger's EPG PlugIn.
If I recall, Slugger mentioned that an upcoming (or current) version of the EPG PlugIn would require Java 7.

Will be going from XP to Win7 (x64) myself in the near future. I plan on Java 7. Patching to current Windows 7 patches then probably freezing them there.

You definitely do not want automatic Java Updates, and if you do Windows Updates, I wouldn't have them be automatic either
Old 03-16-2014, 09:06 AM
Sage Icon

Java - 32 bit for SageTV. Latest 7.x is what I'm using. I always update (not to 8.x!!!) it when I get a notification and have time, but you must make sure to shut SageTV down (all clients and/or service) when updating. There will be a run time download needed, see elsewhere for that.

(You can also install Java 64 bit, but SageTV will not use it, and it has to be updated manually, if some other program needs it. Manual, as in go to the Java web site and download the install and run. There will be no notification or anything, but then they (32x and 64x) seem to always be updated together)

Windows update - I have mine enabled for just download/notify. I install them all when I'm not recording. This has never caused issues with my 3 recorders. (I do normally install hardware updates by hand, not by Windows Update.)
Server #1= AMD A10-5800, 8G RAM, F2A85-M PRO, 12TB, HDHomerun Prime, HDHR, Colossus (Playback - HD-200)
Server #2= AMD X2 3800+, 2G RAM, M2NPV-VM, 2TB, 3x HDHR OTA (Playback - HD-200)
Old 03-16-2014, 09:46 AM
Sage Aficionado

Much appreciate the feedback...things have sure slowed down since our hey-day.

The only plug-in I intend to run is Gemstone (and it's dependencies), although having to use the EPG plug in is a definite future possibility. Regardless, it's encouraging that Java 7 apparently not only works OK but is being adopted by some of the plug-in devs. Java 7 it is then.

Sounds like bringing Windows 7 current is also safe. I thought I recalled reading about several issues (I thought it was EPG data and/or favorites disappearing) last summer that were tied to windows updates...I only remember because after I browsed those threads I completely shut off windows update on my current system (I don't even have it check anymore). Was that just an anomaly experienced by a few? I guess I should see if I can find those threads...

I will probably begin building up the system in earnest in about a week...in the mean time if anyone else has any options/experiences I would definitely like to hear them.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:55 AM
Sage Icon

I didn't have any EPG issues, but I won't say others haven't.

The biggest issue with W7 is UAC, which you can either turn off/down, or install programs outside the "Program Files" directories. Saying that, get windows set how you want first, then install SageTV.
Server #1= AMD A10-5800, 8G RAM, F2A85-M PRO, 12TB, HDHomerun Prime, HDHR, Colossus (Playback - HD-200)
Server #2= AMD X2 3800+, 2G RAM, M2NPV-VM, 2TB, 3x HDHR OTA (Playback - HD-200)
Old 03-16-2014, 12:52 PM
Sage Aficionado

I take it your not using or planning firewire tuning for the Colossus. There are no 64 bit drivers for tuning using firewire.

I don't have a Colossus but I do have an HD-PVR (I use firewire for tuning). I almost always use the latest drivers. Currently the HD-PVR is working OK, but I have had many issues with over the years. The main issue was using the Hauppauge IR blaster and the related drivers. On my recent build I didn't load any of the IR related drivers and things have been much improved.

I always keep up to date on Windows updates - download and notify.

I am using Java 7 and keep it fairly up to date. Just remember to shut down Sage and the Sage Service before installing any Java updates. Also use 32 bit Java regardless of the version you choose. Loading the 64 bit version is fine but Sage will only use the 32 bit version.

I turn UAC off ASAP.

Since every build is different, it wouldn't hurt to make image backups along the way in case your mileage varies with Java or driver installs.

The only constant in the Universe is change.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:03 PM
Sage Icon

Respectfully, stop spreading UAC rumors. SageTV works just fine. Pic is of my server. My client is configured the same way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sagetv_with_uac.JPG (119.7 KB, 253 views)
SageTV server & client: Win 10 Pro x64, Intel DH67CF, Core i5 2405s, 8 GB ram, Intel HD 3000, 40GB SSD system, 4TB storage, 2x HD PVR component + optical audio, USB-UIRT 2 zones + remote hack, Logitech Harmony One, HDMI output to Sony receiver with native Intel bitstreaming
Old 03-17-2014, 11:57 AM
Sage User

I’ve just finished building a new DVR last week. The old dual core cpu wasn’t cutting it and was I was sick and tired of rebooting nearly every day to keep it functioning. My love affair with Hauppauge cards was also at an end.

If course there was the question of which software to use. I’ve been using SageTV since v2.x. I decided a change was in order so I’m using WMC. Is it a better choice? No but after spending the cash for the hardware I had to show the wife an immediate improvement. With a i5 cpu and an InfiniTV 4, no more nightly reboots, dropped frames, and missed shows because of conflicts. I can actually put the PC to sleep and WMC will wake it up for a recording. There are no worries about Java updates.

Will I stay with WMC? It’s been way too long since SageTV was updated and maybe I’m just tired of waiting for Google/Jeff to show us anything. I can still switch to SageTV/XBMC/etc. at any time but right now I’m loving having a stable system.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:32 PM
SageTVaholic

I know I'm not alone in this, but there seem to be quite a few Geico-esque "I just saved a bundle by switching to 'x'" threads of late, so I thought I'd just point out that there are still quite a few people chugging along just fine with Sage.

I experience none of the issues you mention. Unless something amazing happens and someone releases an awesome PVR application which blows away what I have with Sage, the only reason I can see me dropping it is due to not being able to get hardware (mainly HD-PVRs--which I already have backups of) at a reasonable price.

Sage "just works" for me and that's all my house needs.
Tuners: 2 x HD-PVR (HTTP tuning), 2 x HDHR, USB-UIRT
Software: SageTV 7
Old 03-17-2014, 01:08 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirge01 View Post
so I thought I'd just point out that there are still quite a few people chugging along just fine with Sage.

I experience none of the issues you mention. Unless something amazing happens and someone releases an awesome PVR application which blows away what I have with Sage, the only reason I can see me dropping it is due to not being able to get hardware (mainly HD-PVRs--which I already have backups of) at a reasonable price.

Sage "just works" for me and that's all my house needs.
I am, also, in this camp. I have Sage installed on an old hand-me-down Vista machine and have no issues with Sage. My only concern is: "How long can that possibly last?" And it concerns me greatly.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:09 PM
Sage Aficionado

I'm also in the just chugging along camp. I have a 3 to 4 year old AMD pc and 2 HD300s with a HD200 in the closet as a backup. I've played with a couple other solutions but nothing seems to compare for ease of use with the family.

I currently have 2 old Hauppauge analogue tuners for expanded basic cable and a HDhomerun prime for clear QAM. My biggest concern is that Time Warner Cable will do away with analogue and encrypt all the digital stations including locals and set them as copy once. I am working on getting OTA working with my other HDHomerun tuner to replace qlear Qam when the time comes. My probably unreasonable wish is that when the TWC-Comcast deal is complete they will spin us North Carolina subscribers off to Charter as rumored. Then one HDhomerun prime with a cablecard and all the expanded digital tier being copy freely may allow me to keep SageTV indefinitely....
Old 03-17-2014, 05:33 PM
SageTVaholic

I always get a chuckle reading about how people are limping along with "old hardware". I'm still running an overclocked socket 939 Opteron 175 that has been in use since around 2007 or 2006.

I have replace the RAM, power supply and several fans over the years. Currently I see no reason to upgrade the hardware because I'm not doing real time transcoding.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:58 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade View Post
I always get a chuckle reading about how people are limping along with "old hardware". I'm still running an overclocked socket 939 Opteron 175 that has been in use since around 2007 or 2006.

I have replace the RAM, power supply and several fans over the years. Currently I see no reason to upgrade the hardware because I'm not doing real time transcoding.
AMEN. I have no trouble with my four year old mobo and just replace fans. I did just go to Win7 from xp. But the hardware just works. I dunno, my sage server is like my furnace or washer and dryer, an appliance. It just keeps working, with just a small amount of maintenance.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:13 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by korben_dallas View Post
Respectfully, stop spreading UAC rumors. SageTV works just fine. Pic is of my server. My client is configured the same way.
THIS... very much THIS. SageTV, upon Vista's launch, did not properly handle UAC, and because of this, configuration files were put into the virtualstore (windows way of making non-UAC programs UAC compliant). SageTV has been fixed in this regard a LONG time ago, and any new install will have the proper permissions. Configuration and cache files will be stored in the program files folders as designed, and UAC will not get in the way.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 03-17-2014, 09:39 PM
Sage Aficionado

This is the thread I was thinking of regarding favorites issues. Although the first through posts pin it on Windows updates that was refuted in subsequent posts.

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60265

So...nevermind!

Re: Firewire Tuning...I was aware of this and in my mind I thought I would go with the Hauppauge blaster. What issues are you having? Other than firewire, what other options are there? Will a WMC blaster work in Sage? For some reason I'm thinking it doesn't...

And FWIW, I'm well aware UAC hasn't been an issue in Sage 7, it was specifically "fixed". I have had UAC on with SageTV installed in program files ever since Sage7 came out. There is no need to sell me on it anymore.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:26 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by texneus View Post
Re: Firewire Tuning...I was aware of this and in my mind I thought I would go with the Hauppauge blaster. What issues are you having? Other than firewire, what other options are there? Will a WMC blaster work in Sage? For some reason I'm thinking it doesn't...
You can still use firewire, just run 32-bit windows. SageTV doesn't use more than 1.5GB RAM, so running 4GB is still going to provide plenty of overhead room. There are also other ways to utilize RAM >4GB on 32-bit systems. If you DO have more than 4GB or RAM in the system, that RAM can still be utilized by PrimoCache to greatly improve performance. If you are fixed on using 64 bit windows, then there are options, depends on your source. If you use DirecTV, you can tune those boxes via Ethernet. If using IR, the USB-UIRT is hands down the best bet - it's zonable, and perfectly reliable, in my experience.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 03-18-2014, 07:34 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgeezer View Post
I'm also in the just chugging along camp. ...
+1

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:34 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by texneus View Post

So anyway, enough small talk. I have some questions about contemporary installs of SageTV 7 on Windows 7 x64.

What version of Java should I use? My current install uses Java 6r26. I kept it current in the past that but I had problems starting with 6r3-something so rolled it back. I read some other recent threads that recommended Java 6r24, and I see a few brave souls have moved to Java 7. Hmmm, Java 7, SageTV 7, Windows 7...it does have a nice ring, doesn't it?

Windows updates - enable or disable? I've seen some people having issues with recent updates breaking guide data and/or the recording schedule (I think?). I'm seriously considering installing SP1 and nothing more. Machine is only used for SageTV but I intend to add internet streaming via Plex and/or XBMC.
I run SageTV 7 on Windows 7 x64. I update Java when it says to update as well as Windows. Sage is running just fine for me (well, with the exception of Playon... for some reason it streams only about 10 seconds then stops).
Old 03-19-2014, 07:03 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirge01 View Post
I know I'm not alone in this, but there seem to be quite a few Geico-esque "I just saved a bundle by switching to 'x'" threads of late, so I thought I'd just point out that there are still quite a few people chugging along just fine with Sage.
No need to defend SageTV. I still like it. My point was I wasn't just fine with Sage. Nightly reboots because of buggy drivers or other issues gets old real fast. As I pointed out my 5+ year old hardware was lacking. After more than two years, Hauppauge still hasn't gotten the Colossus drivers right. CC support is non-existant on the Colossus while it works just fine on the infiniTV.

I'll also point out that SageTV and WMC can co-exist so all is not lost

I really hope Google/Jeff throws us a bone sometime soon.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:12 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by equalize View Post
After more than two years, Hauppauge still hasn't gotten the Colossus drivers right.
Although I had problems initially with the Colossus they have been fixed for quite some time. I am running Windows8 on my server with 2x Colossus with DirecTV and no reboots. I have not had a bad recording related to the Colossus in so long that I can't even recall one.

I suspect any issues you are having are related to your setup.

Retired SageTV in favor of Plex\Emby and YouTubeTV.