SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-12-2013, 05:42 PM
Sage Advanced User

Service won't start anymore

I came home yesterday to a crashed application that was hanging the extenders. After some clean up of errors and disabling a failing recording drive I noticed that the service was throwing an error in the windows log. It was timing out. There are some posts on here about it but I couldn't find a solution. What I have replicated with numerous reboots is that it seems the software application is beating the service to the punch. When I the close the application I am able to restart the service with the control app. If I leave the software running the service immediately says it can't start. As soon as I close the application I am able to start the service. For now I have disabled the application startup on windows startup but I would like to get it back to functioning normally. Any ideas?
Old 12-13-2013, 08:16 AM
Sage Fanatic

Have you done any updates in the last few days such as OS updates, other software updates, Java, etc.? Have you installed any new plugins? What about hardware? Is anything different or new with your system?

Also, have you tried making a backup of your Sage folder and then deleting the wiz.bin file? Sage will create a new one on restart but you won't have any favorites or watched statuses in it. Sometimes a corrupt wiz.bin file can cause the service to crash (this has happened to me) and the only solution is to go back to a previous copy (if you have one).

Hardware: Intel Core i7-920 with 12GB RAM & an Adaptec 5805 with a Chenbro 36-port SAS Expander
Case: Antec 1200 with 4 iStarUSA trayless hot-swap cages (20 drives max)
Drives: 8 Toshiba/Hitachi 2TB drives in a RAID 6 & 7 Toshiba 3TB drives in a RAID 6
Capture Cards: HDHomeRun Connect Quatro 4, Hauppauge 60 HD-PVR
Players: 5 HD300s, 2 HD200s
Old 12-13-2013, 11:46 AM
Sage Advanced User

Just windows (7) updates lately. To be clear it isn't crashing, it just won't start if I allow the application to start up at boot. For now I have disabled that and the service starts at boot and then I can start the app without issue. I probably won't clear wiz.bin yet since I have an inconvenient workaround.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:56 PM
Sage Advanced User

Are you using a v6 license with the modified v7? I got something similar that went away when I went back to the "real" v7 and a v7 license.

G
Old 12-30-2013, 11:40 AM
Sage Advanced User

I've only had version 7.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:40 AM
Sage User

Check the user the service is using.

I had this problem on my server when I did not set the user to load the service as the same user I used to log into for the UI. Not sure why but it happened every time I reinstalled and forgot to change the user.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:57 PM
Sage Advanced User

Sounds like a Java issue to me. It might be worth uninstalling java and reinstalling with sage stopped. It's worth a shot.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:36 PM
Sage Advanced User

I re-installed Java last night and rebooted the server twice and the service started both times without issue. So far so good. Thanks for the tip.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:30 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxnelson View Post
I re-installed Java last night and rebooted the server twice and the service started both times without issue. So far so good. Thanks for the tip.
Have run into this problem a number of times. Java is such a PITA! I've found that a "best practice" is to stop the SageTV Service and close the service .exe before uninstalling and reinstalling Java. Seems to do the trick everytime.

If java auto updates, it tends to break the SageTV service most of the time.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:14 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFix View Post
Have run into this problem a number of times. Java is such a PITA! I've found that a "best practice" is to stop the SageTV Service and close the service .exe before uninstalling and reinstalling Java. Seems to do the trick everytime.

If java auto updates, it tends to break the SageTV service most of the time.
I have found that Java 6.0.24 is the best version to use with SageTV. It is very stable and uses the least amount of RAM.

Hardware: Intel Core i7-920 with 12GB RAM & an Adaptec 5805 with a Chenbro 36-port SAS Expander
Drives: 8 Toshiba/Hitachi 2TB drives in a RAID 6 & 7 Toshiba 3TB drives in a RAID 6
Old 02-13-2014, 11:19 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by will View Post
I have found that Java 6.0.24 is the best version to use with SageTV. It is very stable and uses the least amount of RAM.
On my System is just the opposite Java 7 is the best plus I believe Phoenix android requires Java 7.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:49 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
On my System is just the opposite Java 7 is the best plus I believe Phoenix android requires Java 7.
And it seems so will Slugger's EPG plugin
Old 02-13-2014, 02:40 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
I think Phoenix still works with 6 but I don't use it so I can't say for sure. I used to use 7.x but I found SageTV slowing down and having, what appears to be, memory leaks. After a little research I found a mention of these issues on this forum and about 6.0.24 working well. So I downgraded and haven't had an issue since.

However, I'm running an older OS so perhaps Java 7 works better with SageTV on Windows 7 than it does on XP/2003.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:45 PM
Sage Advanced User

So much for the fix. It is back to the same issue. The service says it times out if I allow the application to start on boot.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:48 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxnelson View Post
So much for the fix. It is back to the same issue. The service says it times out if I allow the application to start on boot.
Have you tried to start service mode with a delayed start in "Services"?
Old 02-25-2014, 09:43 PM
Sage Advanced User

Yes. I believe we are talking about the same thing. I can't exactly recall but I bumped it from like 3xxxx to 12xxxx. It doesn't really help. As soon as the UI loads it effectively blocks it from starting in service mode. As soon as I close the UI I can start the service immediately via the service control.