SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 10-27-2013, 08:06 AM
Sage Advanced User

I'd like to install client on a second PC

I find that occasionally I'd like to watch some TV on my desktop computer when I'm supposed to be doing some work. However, when I went to install the client software it asked me for my key, which I've already used for my main HTPC client install, and I got an error telling me that the key was already associated with an install on my server and couldn't be used twice. I am under the impression that client software could be installed on multiple computers using the same license, but were limited to how many instances could run simultaneously based on the number of licenses. Is that wrong? Are client licenses tied to the specific PC the software is installed on once associated with the server?

Is there any way for me to get this working? If I need a second key, is there a way to get one cheap? I don't need this, so its not worth more than maybe $15 for a second license.

Thanks.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:20 AM
SageTVaholic

Client licenses can be Installed on multiple Computers but only 1 client can be used...... Also remember once you connect a client to the Server the server will associate that License with that PC... Even if you shutdown the client and try to connect on another PC with the same license that will not work.

The only way to do this is you have to restart the Server every time you want to use a different client. (this is not practical) so best you go the market and Advertise for client licenses.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:16 PM
Sage Advanced User

If you have extenders, I *think* placeshifter will allow you to install it on as many PCs as you want, but are limited to using one per license stored on the server at the same time.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:16 PM
SageTVaholic

In my experience the server has to be stopped and started in order to use the same client key on a different computer.