SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

View Poll Results: Interested in a full XBMC / SageTV Server PVR integration? How much per license?
No - Not interested 15 16.48%
Yes - Interested willing to pay 1-time $15 license (unlimited nodes) 43 47.25%
Yes - Interested willing to pay 1-time > $15 license (unlimited nodes) 28 30.77%
Yes - Interested willing to pay $5 per node license 5 5.49%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-22-2013, 02:38 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by emveepee View Post
My assumption was based on the fact that XBMC is limited as a PVR frontend so I figure many SageTV won't bother replacing a working client to get less functionality.

If XBMC is good enough then why not just go with WMC or any of the other backends and get as much or more then SageTV offers without basing the system on an obsolete product.

Martin
Excellent point!

If i were personally going to move to an XBMC sort of pvr-ish solution I would probably jump ship on sage and move to an actively developed PVR like mythtv or any of the other slew of backends being actively developed which XBMC now supports. I am quite certain that with NExtPVR and a few others there is the ability to import favorites from an XML...which you can export from sage via the webui.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:50 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
why not just go with WMC
WMC is just as obsolete as SageTV and it is far less functional feature-wise.
SageTV is still the best with WMC definitely the second runner up IMHO.

Quote:
or any of the other backends
Have you taken a close look at the other backends (nextpvr etc)...? They are all crud in comparison to SageTV or WMC IMHO.

Quote:
If XBMC is good enough then
The advantage of XBMC over the existing SageTV clients is that it has very nice modern fully configurable skins, handles internet content very well, and working/supported plugins for items like Netflix, Hulu etc...

If SageTV clients had these then we wouldnt be having this discussion.
Moreover, almost all of the SageTV development by the community is oriented at filling just these gaps...

Why not leverage XMBC? (large active development community to boot)

Also there are a number of small form factor clients (eg. PI) for XMBC with many more on the horizon. There are *no* replacement clients for SageTV extenders or for WMC extender (xbox).

The combination of XMBC/SageTV is compelling.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:12 PM
Sage Expert

Just thinking out loud, but I wonder if there is a way to run both Sage and xbmc at the same time and then create custom skins/menus that somehow integrate them together in some way. You could effectively just use the Sage EPG and live TV stuff and everything else in XBMC.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:45 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewston View Post
People outside US don't use the EPG server. Don't know how many of us there are in Europe
That's why I said it wouldn't be accurate.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:12 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
but I wonder if there is a way to run both Sage and xbmc at the same time and then create
I think the 1st step is to get the XBMC PVR plugin for SageTV up and running... then onward and upward

Hard to tell if we have enough support....

Last edited by sflamm; 10-23-2013 at 09:07 AM.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:50 AM
Sage User

I'd love to try this out and would be willing to contribute financially as well a tester.

I'm currently using 2x HD300 and 2xHD200. I've spent a lot of time scurrying around the web looking for alternatives to SAGE... and NONE have come close IMHO. That said I've have gone so far as to use XBMC on several devices such as GBoxMidnight2, Xios DS Media play to name a few. I've probably bought more hardware than I really needed to but I am a tinkerer!

I've recently won a HD200 on eBay. I got it for fear of one of my units failing. I'd love to get an interface working through the xbmc front end that would allow me to work "fully" with the SageTV back end. If I was to b honest I'd love to try it on a few devices that I've got. Most are Android 4.x but if the plugin worked with iOS .. i could try it on my ATV2 or 3.... like i said.. I've been messing around

Although I'm not a programmer.. once again.. I'd be happy to help in the testing on different platforms.

Hotliner

Last edited by Hotliner; 10-23-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:32 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotliner View Post
I'd love to try this out and would be willing to contribute financially as well a tester.

I'm currently using 2x HD300 and 2xHD200. I've spent a lot of time scurrying around the web looking for alternatives to SAGE... and NONE have come close IMHO. That said I've have gone so far as to use XBMC on several devices such as GBoxMidnight2, Xios DS Media play to name a few. I've probably bought more hardware than I really needed to but I am a tinkerer!

I've recently won a HD200 on eBay. I got it for fear of one of my units failing. I'd love to get an interface working through the xbmc front end that would allow me to work "fully" with the SageTV back end. If I was to b honest I'd love to try it on a few devices that I've got. Most are Android 4.x but if the plugin worked with iOS .. i could try it on my ATV2 or 3.... like i said.. I've been messing around

Although I'm not a programmer.. once again.. I'd be happy to help in the testing on different platforms.

Hotliner

Yes, we are going to need XBMC Android plug-in for SageTV backend
Old 10-26-2013, 08:37 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotliner View Post
I'd love to get an interface working through the xbmc front end that would allow me to work "fully" with the SageTV back end. If I was to b honest I'd love to try it on a few devices that I've got. Most are Android 4.x but if the plugin worked with iOS .. i could try it on my ATV2 or 3.... like i said.. I've been messing around
Hotliner
Am completely with you on this... problem is, you never hear of things like this working 'fully' with the backend.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:42 PM
Sage Icon

SageTV XBMC plugin - Kickstarter

Please contribute to our efforts to raise enough money to have a XBMC plugin built for SageTV:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...etv-pvr-plugin
Old 10-28-2013, 01:15 PM
Sage Expert

Just to clarify, you decided to just go the kickstarter route without any additional need to purchase a license?
Old 10-28-2013, 01:52 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflamm View Post
SageTV XBMC plugin - Kickstarter

Please contribute to our efforts to raise enough money to have a XBMC plugin built for SageTV:

Gave it a "Kick" of $50.00.... crossing my fingers!!

Hotliner
Old 10-28-2013, 02:03 PM
Sage Icon

As just posted on the G+ thread, i'm in too. Contemplating either xbox one or PS4 when released for streaming netflix 3D, hoping this has the traction to tip the scales in favor of one option.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:13 PM
SageTVaholic

Backed!
Tuners: 2 x HD-PVR (HTTP tuning), 2 x HDHR, USB-UIRT
Software: SageTV 7
Old 10-28-2013, 02:38 PM
Sage Expert

$13k seems like a steep hill to climb, considering the circumstances. But I threw $150 at it. Hoping for the best.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:05 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
seems like a steep hill to climb
I have itemized exactly what the costs are in the Kickstarter for full transparency/disclosure...
Old 10-28-2013, 03:08 PM
Sage User

Smile

Quote:
I have itemized exactly what the costs are in the Kickstarter for full transparency/disclosure...
I don't think Evil Attorney was having issue with disclosure.. but rather if the 13k could be reached..

Hotliner
Old 10-28-2013, 03:16 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Yea, I think the transparency and overall cost is fine. I just don't know if enough people will donate. If the average donation is $25, there would need to be over 500 donors. I think between 100-200 is probably more realistic. More exposure would certainly help. Perhaps Brent could write something up and post to Geektonic? Also, what about MissingRemote? They might promote this too. Who knows, maybe even xbmc.org would post something to help get the word out.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:16 PM
Sage Aficionado

Kicked.

Fingers Crossed.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:18 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'm in. I agree with comments above, need more exposure as even former SageTV users might be willing to throw out a few dollars.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:21 PM
Sage Icon

Exclamation XBMC - SageTV PVR Plugin : Kickstarter

Tags
xbmc plugin pvr