SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 09-28-2013, 10:44 PM
SageTVaholic

'Rush' - Ron Howard's brilliant film

See it...you'll like it. You don't have to be an F1 fan either. It's a human interest story between two, completely different individuals. Great visuals, great script (Peter Morgan), and the two leads are as close to perfect as could be.
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson

Last edited by tvmaster2; 09-29-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:42 PM
SageTVaholic

really? I'm the only petrol-head here who saw this?
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 09-30-2013, 12:26 AM
Sage Aficionado

I haven't gotten a chance to see it yet but want to. Saw a show about how it was made. Those were some dangerous days in F1 but pretty cool too. I still like the old 6 wheeled Tyrell.. With todays tires I bet it could kick butt...
Old 09-30-2013, 08:01 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
really? I'm the only petrol-head here who saw this?
Nope your definetly not the only Motor head here, I just haven't seen the movie as yet. I will most likely wait for the BD, as I haven't been to a theater in over 10 yrs, since I put my HT in.

I'll post back when it comes out on BD. I wish they'd re-make Days of Thunder though ...
Old 09-30-2013, 08:27 AM
SageTVaholic

maybe Justin Beiber in the Tom Cruise role?
Old 09-30-2013, 09:39 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
LOL, nice ...
Old 09-30-2013, 11:48 AM
SageTVaholic

I'm a huge F1 fan. Going to see it this week or weekend

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:17 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
you may enjoy this then, if you haven't seen it already:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDGV7U3vqU4

for everyone who may not already know what happened, the linked doc DOES have spoiler alerts, so DON'T watch it until AFTER you've seen the film.

for those in the know, it's a great bit of history from BBC, with some fantastic, unseen footage
Old 10-04-2013, 01:14 PM
Sage Expert

Noticed this thread on my weekly-ish review of the SageTV forums. Saw the movie last weekend and absolutely loved it (its roughly eleventy-billion times better than the cheese fest that is Days of Thunder), and watched the aforementioned BBC doc 2 nights ago. Truly its one of the most interesting and entertaining stories to ever come out of sports. I've kinda gotten a bit into F1 in the last year after watching the excellent documentary "Senna" on recommendation of Jeremy Clarkson (Top Gear- UK). Its too bad so few people in the US went to go see it, I guess because F1 is racing that isn't NASCAR, so no one is interested
Old 10-05-2013, 09:38 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post
...Its too bad so few people in the US went to go see it, I guess because F1 is racing that isn't NASCAR, so no one is interested
the odd thing about motorsports, and particularly the difference between Nascar in America and F1 in the rest of the world is perception. Here, Nascar is perceived as a "blue-collar" sport, whereas in Europe and elsewhere F1 is the cream of the crop, so to speak. I wonder if that's why F1 can't grab a foothold here - the people who attach themselves to it around the world turn their noses up to it in America.
Why Nascar is so popular is simple: it's WAY easier to cover on television....you don't need three helicopters.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:21 AM
Sage Aficionado

Finally a GT4 in a movie

2xhd300
Old 10-07-2013, 04:38 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by toony View Post
Finally a GT4 in a movie
lol - and more!
going again tonight - get it while I can on the BIG screen
Old 10-17-2013, 12:21 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Only if they rewrite it so that he dies in a horrible, firey wreck, except for real.
Too harsh?
Old 10-17-2013, 02:20 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRunnerTX View Post
Only if they rewrite it so that he dies in a horrible, firey wreck, except for real.
Too harsh?
it depends on the car they'd have to total... maybe if it was the Audi R8 he had trashed in leopard-print....that would be ok

Last edited by tvmaster2; 10-17-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:01 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
so, forgot to ask....what did you think, coming from a F1 fan?
that much, eh? lol

Last edited by tvmaster2; 10-22-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:46 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRunnerTX View Post
Too harsh?
Now if they do the movie with BOTH Beiber and Cruise dying in a fiery crash then THAT would be worth watching!
Old 10-23-2013, 09:23 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynedunham View Post
Now if they do the movie with BOTH Beiber and Cruise dying in a fiery crash then THAT would be worth watching!
what if....Beiber and Cruise are in a dark corner of the paddock, maybe a compromising situation...and then Danica discovers them.....and then....

go see 'Rush' instead
Old 10-24-2013, 12:55 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post
... I've kinda gotten a bit into F1 in the last year after watching the excellent documentary "Senna" on recommendation of Jeremy Clarkson (Top Gear- UK). Its too bad so few people in the US went to go see it, I guess because F1 is racing that isn't NASCAR, so no one is interested
F1 fans kill me, I am also into F1, just not as much as NSCAR. Richard Hammond is too by the way. Next year NASCAR driver Juan Pablo Montoya will be driving an Indy car instead of his #41 Target machine.

EDIT: Correction, Indy car instead of F1, my bad.

My referance to "Days of thunder" was tongue and cheek, as most F1 fans hate NASCAR. ... Perhaps a remake of the 71' film Le Mans with Steve McQueen would have been better.

One big reason for F1 being so popular is that it is televised world wide and the races are in differant countries. NASCAR obviously isn't, not to mention when the races are on mostly sunday afternoon and the rest of the world is sleeping and no replays are broadcasted. I am not even sure you can even watch it from abroad?

F1 cars are built to handle and go 200+ mph and has always been a rich mans sport. NASCAR on the other hand is just the opposite, the cars aren't suppossed to go 200+, but they do, and the sport started out from Rum Runners, and loo where it is today. Either way F1 and NASCAR are awesome sports, at least I think so.

I'll have to check out Senna as well.

Last edited by Skybolt; 12-18-2013 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Incorect referance to F1.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:27 PM
SageTVaholic

lol - yes, The Hamster loves Nascar, and all things American for that matter. I don't think F1 was always the domain of the "rich", as you see in 'Rush', it was always a forum of experimentation and testing.

Today, it's just gone to a level that we think is nuts. But the fans and television contracts support it, so it will continue as the foremost development arena for automotive innovation.
You will notice in F1 that the back-marker teams come and go, because if they don't share in the constructors prize winnings, they can't afford to play.

Montoya is actually going into IndyCar next year - although he came from F1.
I'd probably watch Nascar more if I had time, but open-wheel is my first love.

The best part about Nascar is that it's relatively easy to cover - i.e. the big oval makes following cars fun, and fans in the stands don't have to rely on video screens or headphones. I've been to a few F1 races, and it takes a while to get used to NO TV coverage - you kind of think "where do I watch?"
The craziest thing about attending a F1 race is all the helicopters buzzing the track, most of which you never see on TV. It's a little frightening at first...lol
Old 10-24-2013, 07:57 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
... Montoya is actually going into IndyCar next year - although he came from F1. I'd probably watch Nascar more if I had time, but open-wheel is my first love.
Thanks for pointing that out, I forget Indy is mostly USA, one race in Brazila and a few in Toronto. F1 is world wide. My bad. If it wasn't for a DVR I wouldn't be watching any race either.

Quote:
The best part about Nascar is that it's relatively easy to cover - i.e. the big oval makes following cars fun, and fans in the stands don't have to rely on video screens or headphones. I've been to a few F1 races, and it takes a while to get used to NO TV coverage - you kind of think "where do I watch?"
Yeah, the Glen and Suzuka would be real hard to watch without a heli. NASCAR races at Sonoma and the Glen and have to double the cameras to cover the races.

Racing is awesome no mater what car your in