SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 05-02-2013, 10:04 AM
Sage User

Reinstalling on WHS 2011

I've been running SageTV on a WHS V1 server for a long time, but things have started to degrade and I think it's time to reinstall. I've already got WHS 2011 bought and paid for, so while I know a lot of people say to move to Windows 7, I'm kinda feeling like I'd rather just use this paid for OS and not go buy another one.

But I've been hopping around the forum for a few weeks, trying to decide which method of reinstalling would really be the best. There are bits and pieces in different locations, but is there a post I've missed that really has a "do this, and this, and this" so I have a better chance of doing it in one semi-painless exercise? I tend to be one of those guys that can make any project more of a deal than it needs to be, so any suggestion of tried and true method would be much appreciated.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:00 PM
SageTVaholic

SO you don't have a SageTV for WHS 2011. This is a WHS add-in that only works on whs v1. You will take WHS 2011 and install the standard Sage TV server which will run as a service on WHS 2011. I installed everything from scratch. Copying .properties between platforms really isn't a good idea. Just do the work and it will go better than troubleshooting.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:26 PM
Sage User

Thanks Gerry, I appreciate that insight. I know what my first weekend project is now.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:14 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
SO you don't have a SageTV for WHS 2011. This is a WHS add-in that only works on whs v1. You will take WHS 2011 and install the standard Sage TV server which will run as a service on WHS 2011. I installed everything from scratch. Copying .properties between platforms really isn't a good idea. Just do the work and it will go better than troubleshooting.

Gerry
Ditto what Gerry says. I just did what you are doing. You will save time in the long run by doing fresh install. Don't forget to save any current recordings somewhere safe until your install is complete, then copy them back to DVR storage location. All info for recordings is stored with recordings so they will look and function as if nothing happened. Good luck.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:59 AM
Sage Expert

anyone have issues with the HDHR on WHS2011?
I had sage up and running perfectly for a week or two with no tuners installed... (ie just using it for movies and such)...

then I installed the latest silicondust drivers, now I get BSOD every day

also, how do you disable the HDHR drivers in whs2011? I cant seem to find them under hardware manager? (just be good to verify that it really is the HDHR and not like a failing PS or some such...)
Old 05-08-2013, 04:12 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeWhatLost View Post
anyone have issues with the HDHR on WHS2011?
I had sage up and running perfectly for a week or two with no tuners installed... (ie just using it for movies and such)...

then I installed the latest silicondust drivers, now I get BSOD every day

also, how do you disable the HDHR drivers in whs2011? I cant seem to find them under hardware manager? (just be good to verify that it really is the HDHR and not like a failing PS or some such...)
I did not have any problem with latest Silicondust drivers in my WHS2011. I did update to latest HDHR software before I reinstalled SageTV v7. I don't know if that made a difference or not, but just passing along for your info. I also installed latest JAVA release before installing Sage.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:09 PM
SageTVaholic

Yeah I'm running the latest beta and never had any issues with the driver. Check your system logs and see if there are any clues.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:09 PM
Sage Expert

yea, I am having issues believing that the HDHR had anything to do with it... but still server ran fine for a week before, then add the HDHR driver and I get a BSOD about once a day or two...
also come to think of it I just enabled the WHS pc-back up thing at about the same time... not sure how backup could cause a BSOD though?

looking at the event log there is a bunch of badness... not sure what though...
there is one of these for each BSOD:
Code:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x000000c5 (0xfffff81001e0c6b0, 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000, 0xfffff80001db1a4e). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 050913-10826-01.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:44 PM
Sage User

Quote:
yea, I am having issues believing that the HDHR had anything to do with it... but still server ran fine for a week before, then add the HDHR driver and I get a BSOD about once a day or two...
also come to think of it I just enabled the WHS pc-back up thing at about the same time... not sure how backup could cause a BSOD though?

looking at the event log there is a bunch of badness... not sure what though...
there is one of these for each BSOD:
Code:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x000000c5 (0xfffff81001e0c6b0, 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000, 0xfffff80001db1a4e). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 050913-10826-01.
Speaking from years of past experience and not as OS software expert, I would guess something in your system files got trashed. I know you don't want to hear it, but you would save lots of time and agony by reinstalling your WHS2011 fresh and start over.

Even if you do something that makes it seem to work ok, can you really ever trust the system is 100% stable. I had to do this to mine after getting it all screwed up trying to use StableBit drive pooler. At least I learned a lot about StableBit in the process and was able to get everything set up to my satisfaction the second time around.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:27 AM
Sage Expert

well, just as a fwiw, I uninstalled the HDHR, and still have BSOD issues, so on the bright side, I now know with 100% certainty that the HDHR has nothing to do with it...
unfortunately I also now have no clue why WHS decides to keep BSOD'ing on me
Old 05-18-2013, 05:13 AM
SageTVaholic

Are all devices known on your WHS 2011? If not, find the correct drivers. You should use Windows 7 drivers if you don't have WHS 2011 specific drivers. Last resort would be XP drivers. (Also your drivers should be 64 bit). You can also reinstall the drivers and configure them for compatibility mode.

Gerry
Old 06-07-2013, 02:49 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by icmoney View Post
Speaking from years of past experience and not as OS software expert, I would guess something in your system files got trashed. I know you don't want to hear it, but you would save lots of time and agony by reinstalling your WHS2011 fresh and start over.
fwiw reinstalling WHS2011 seems to have worked for me... not sure on the how/why/etc, but hey, sage is happy therefore I am happy...
Old 06-09-2013, 10:33 AM
Sage User

Thumbs up

Quote:
fwiw reinstalling WHS2011 seems to have worked for me... not sure on the how/why/etc, but hey, sage is happy therefore I am happy...
Glad it worked out for you.
Old 12-25-2013, 01:01 PM
Sage User

Why can't I get this

So...I've been trying this for months. On and off, not full time fortunately. I work on it for awhile, then go back to my original drives, then try it again, then go back. But I simply can't figure out what I've done wrong. I didn't want to post here because then I'm airing it out for everyone that I can't figure this out and that whole ego thing will end up in tatters.

I installed WHS 2011 easily. Did all 110+ updates. Installed SageTV for Windows v7. Everything looks great. I have a Synology Diskstation with 24TB of videos. It scanned all of my videos and that worked great. I used BMT to fix the metadata. Everything looks great, but...when I try to watch any of them:

ERROR (-2): Files selected for playback are no longer on disk

I can exit SageTV and watch the files from my 200 and 300 extenders with no problems (even my WD Live works fine). But I can't watch them from within SageTV. One thing to note, on a few occasions I've gotten them to work perfectly for an evening, then the next day they won't work again and I don't know what sorcery occurred to make them work at the time. (Perhaps it's a moon cycle? )

I'm sure it's a permissions issue, but I can't seem to put my finger on it. I've tried running SageTV as a Service using the ServiceControl and running the service as Administrator. What am I missing?

I had everything working well with WHS v1 and the Add-on but I really wanted to upgrade. It seems so easy, but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.
Old 12-25-2013, 01:19 PM
Sage Icon

You are better off starting from scratch with Windows 7, forget WHS. That OS was a mistake from the start. Just like other Microsoft mistakes like ME, Vista, Windows 8, and the "Bob" overlay. You can still buy Windows 7 upgrade from places like Microcenter. You can install the Windows 7 upgrade clean. Use the 64-bit version if you don't need firewire. If you need mass storage, do it with another computer running unRAID. UnRAID just runs and runs for years without trouble. Do your recording on the Windows 7 computer, your archived recordings on the UnRAID mass storage computer.

Taken images of your SageTV computer during the build process and periodically after that. If you ever have a problem with SageTV, you can quickly restore the system with the image. You can't say that about WHS. SageTV quickly becomes a 'mission critical' system for your home. You can't afford to use a flaky and unreliable operating system that doesn't have a simple and quick recovery path.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:38 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyLover View Post
So...I've been trying this for months. On and off, not full time fortunately. I work on it for awhile, then go back to my original drives, then try it again, then go back. But I simply can't figure out what I've done wrong. I didn't want to post here because then I'm airing it out for everyone that I can't figure this out and that whole ego thing will end up in tatters.

I installed WHS 2011 easily. Did all 110+ updates. Installed SageTV for Windows v7. Everything looks great. I have a Synology Diskstation with 24TB of videos. It scanned all of my videos and that worked great. I used BMT to fix the metadata. Everything looks great, but...when I try to watch any of them:

ERROR (-2): Files selected for playback are no longer on disk

I can exit SageTV and watch the files from my 200 and 300 extenders with no problems (even my WD Live works fine). But I can't watch them from within SageTV. One thing to note, on a few occasions I've gotten them to work perfectly for an evening, then the next day they won't work again and I don't know what sorcery occurred to make them work at the time. (Perhaps it's a moon cycle? )

I'm sure it's a permissions issue, but I can't seem to put my finger on it. I've tried running SageTV as a Service using the ServiceControl and running the service as Administrator. What am I missing?

I had everything working well with WHS v1 and the Add-on but I really wanted to upgrade. It seems so easy, but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.
I had the same problem until I went and shared each folder I was trying to access. Didn't matter that administrator already had access, or my user profile. Once I did it again manually giving full read/write it all worked...