SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-24-2013, 10:26 AM
Sage User

SageTV 6 Client problems after Java 7 install, Java 6 uninstall

A couple of days ago, following instructions on a Firefox Plug-in Check page, I uninstalled Java 6 and installed Java 7, both jre-7u11-windows-i586 and jre-7u11-windows-x64.

I then installed several other programs without problems. Yesterday I tried to run the SageTV client, and got two errors (details below). Using information from a post on this forum, I eliminated one error.

Following instructions from a post on About.com, I performed a System Restore to prior to uninstalling Java 6, hoping to eliminate the other error.

The second error no longer appears, but SageTV will not start. I performed another System Restore to the earliest point still available, uninstalled and reinstalled SageTV, but it still will not start.

I found more posts addressing Java 7 issues on this forum, and have now downloaded both x86 and x64 versions of Java 6, as well as both x86 and x64 versions of the Visual C++ Runtime Environment.

Before I proceed, I'd like to ask your advice. Here are my questions:

1. Should I undo my System Restores, or proceed from where I am now, having restored to the earliest restore point available, prior to messing with Java?

2. If I should undo my Restores, how? System Restore is only offering to undo the most recent install of SageTV Client. Should I restore to the most recent restore point prior to my first restore?

3. Should I install both x86 and x64 versions of Java 6? Or just the x64 version, since this is a 64 bit machine and Win7 install?

4. Which version of the Visual C++ Runtime Environment should I install, x86 or x64?

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me!

I'm open to any and all suggestions. I've messed this up royally, and I'm desperately hoping that with your help I can rescue the situation. I love my Sage TV!

===============================================
Configuration information:

System in question:
Sage TV 6 Client running on 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium (desktop)

Other systems on network:
Sage TV 6 Server running on 32 bit Windows XP Pro SP3 (desktop with Hauppauge HD-PVR)
Sage TV 6 Client running on 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium (desktop)
Sage TV 6 Client running on 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium (laptop)

The server and other clients still seem to be operating properly.

===============================================
Detailed sequence of events:

12/08/12 ----
install SageTV client; works great

01/20/13 ----
install Microsoft Office 2003 from CD

01/20/13 ----
install Java 7 Update 11, 32- and 64-bit (and uninstall Java 6), following instructions on https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/plugincheck/ to update old versions of Java 6: Java(TM) Platform SE 6 U38 and Java Deployment Toolkit 6.0.380.5.

install Silverlight 5.1
install iTunes & authorize
check Windows Updates status; perform updates
install Paint.NET

01/23/13 ----
run SageTV

Errors (copied from post below, but to the best of my recollection, identical to the errors I got):

1. MsgBox Title: SageWin: SageTV.exe - System Error
The program can't start because MSVCR100.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

2. MsgBox Title: Java Missing
Could not find jvm.dll
Please install Java Runtime Environment 1.4

(above from http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56779 )

Following instructions in above forum thread, copied MSVCR100.dll (from c:\program files\java\jre7\bin) into c:\windows directory.

This fixed problem 1 but not problem 2.

Found this post:
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findby...sing-error.htm

jvm.dll was not in the trash.

Did System Restore to 1/22/13, "Installed Java(TM) 6 Update 38"

Now SageTV will not start (brief rotating circle on first run after reboot).

Uninstalled/reinstalled SageTV. No change.

Did System Restore to 1/20/13, "Installed Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003"

SageTV will still not start.

Uninstalled/reinstalled SageTV. No change.
Client 1: BioStar TP45HP, Intel Q9650, 6GB, MSI N250GTS, Win7 HP 64; Client 2: GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3, Phenom II X3 720 2.80 GHz, 8 GB, EVGA GTX650Ti, Win7 HP 64; Client 3: Acer Aspire 7552, Phenom II N950 Quad 2.10 GHz, 8 GB, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650, Win7 HP 64
Tuner: Hauppauge HD PVR Rev E3
Receiver: Explorer 4250HDC
Old 01-24-2013, 10:32 AM
SageTVaholic

This have been covered at nauseam in this forum... If you update to Java 7 you need to install the windows runtimes 2010. When you start copying files over manually all you are doing is causing future problems in your setup.

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...98&postcount=8

shutdown Sagetv
Uninstall all Java versions
Install the runtimes
Install Java 7
Start sage

If Sagetv still has a problem shutdown sagetv re-install Sage and run repair on it.

SageTV is not a 64 bit program so install the 32 bit VB runtimes first till you get it working you can always install the 64 bit later.

Last edited by nyplayer; 01-24-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:04 AM
Sage User

nyplayer,

Thanks for your response. I will stick to 32 bit Java and runtime installers for now.

However, as I said, I have already found threads explaining what to do about Java 7, and have downloaded the Visual C++ runtime installers as well as Java 6 installers.

My questions are about what I should do before I install the C++ runtime and Java installers, regarding the system restores which I did while attempting to recover from the problems introduced by Java 6 removal and Java 7 install. Do I attempt another system restore, or leave well enough alone and proceed from where I am?

Also, you say to install the "windows runtime 2010," by which I assume you mean the Visual C++ runtime, since that is what is referred to in several other posts on this forum.

However, later you say to install the "VB runtimes," which I think means Visual Basic runtime.

Which is it, Visual C++ or Visual Basic runtime?

Also, regarding having copied MSVCR100.dll to the Windows folder: after I did the system restores, this file was gone, so no worries there.

And since SageTV won't run, it is impossible to shut it down.

Anyone have any advice as to what I should do about my system restores? Leave well enough alone and just go from where I am? Or do another restore to a more recent restore point?
Client 1: BioStar TP45HP, Intel Q9650, 6GB, MSI N250GTS, Win7 HP 64; Client 2: GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3, Phenom II X3 720 2.80 GHz, 8 GB, EVGA GTX650Ti, Win7 HP 64; Client 3: Acer Aspire 7552, Phenom II N950 Quad 2.10 GHz, 8 GB, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650, Win7 HP 64
Old 01-24-2013, 11:16 AM
SageTVaholic

Yeah I am old school so I still call them runtimes (The Microsoft Visual C++ )

I would restore back to most recent and follow the procedure I stated above. I am not a fan of system restore never was. So that is strictly up to you.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:21 PM
Sage User

OMG!! That worked!! Thank you!!

Like you, I'm not a fan of System Restore. But I took a deep breath, and restored back to the restore point created last night, when I did my first system restore. After the boot, I deleted MSVCR100.dll, which had reappeared in C:\Windows.

Then I followed your instructions: uninstalled both 32 and 64 bit versions of Java 7, installed the 32 bit Visual C++ runtime, and reinstalled the 32 bit version of Java 7. The SageTV 6 Client started up and ran perfectly! Woo hoo!

Amazingly, iTunes also runs, complete with the authorization I'd entered yesterday. I'm currently playing a song across the LAN from my main iTunes install via Home Sharing.

Now to run all the other stuff I'd installed in the past few days and make sure nothing else is broken ...

I am so grateful for your help, nyplayer! And to everyone on this forum who are helping keep the great SageTV software alive.

Update: So far, so good. Everything I've installed recently seems to run. Fingers crossed. Thanks again!!

Last edited by alisonnic; 01-24-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:51 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisonnic View Post
OMG!! That worked!! Thank you!!

Like you, I'm not a fan of System Restore. But I took a deep breath, and restored back to the restore point created last night, when I did my first system restore. After the boot, I deleted MSVCR100.dll, which had reappeared in C:\Windows.

Then I followed your instructions: uninstalled both 32 and 64 bit versions of Java 7, installed the 32 bit Visual C++ runtime, and reinstalled the 32 bit version of Java 7. The SageTV 6 Client started up and ran perfectly! Woo hoo!

Amazingly, iTunes also runs, complete with the authorization I'd entered yesterday. I'm currently playing a song across the LAN from my main iTunes install via Home Sharing.

Now to run all the other stuff I'd installed in the past few days and make sure nothing else is broken ...

I am so grateful for your help, nyplayer! And to everyone on this forum who are helping keep the great SageTV software alive.

Update: So far, so good. Everything I've installed recently seems to run. Fingers crossed. Thanks again!!
You are welcomed good luck glad i can help. I tend to document problems I run across from my experience someone will eventfully come across the same problem.

Tags
java 7, sagetv 6 client