SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:27 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybolt View Post
Crap, I missed this. So DTC-P via transport, but DRM on th eendpoint device. So how can it be possible for a nas box be DTCP complient and store recordings and still be watched else where?
My previous message explained how you could handle that. The NAS would just have to use an approved DRM scheme to store the recordings. A product really invested into the DTCP architecture would probably just use one of the approved DRM schemes to encrypt the recordings, and unwrap it and send it via DTCP to other devices. In that case maybe the NAS developer would just try to roll their own limited DRM scheme. You don't need anything very complicated if you just need to store things securely on a particular device with a closed environment. All you need is a hardware-protected key store, and then use those keys to encrypt the video content, and integrity protect the copy control bits, in some secure way.

DTCP isn't a full DRM scheme. I'd still consider it a type of DRM scheme, since its designed to carry data that puts restrictions on the use of the video (i.e., the copy control bits), but it doesn't cover all aspects of DRM. DTCP covers content protection of data in transit, and relies on other DRM schemes to protect "persistent protected storage."

Anyways, that's why I'm saying at this point it probably isn't possible to get protected content working with Sage using DTCP.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:52 PM
Sage Icon

Thanks reggie14, I wasn't thinking along those terms. I did not think DRM would or could be temporary, but that makes complete sense. Thanks for the explanation.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:49 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I had SageDCT workng pretty well, you need to have your network finely tuned as mentioned. I have my Video network physically seperated from the rest, only connected at the gateway router.
This is not necessary, either physically or logically.

However, if you want to have separation, you should absolutely NOT do it physically. Simply run a vlan for the video network devices.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:00 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflamm View Post
This is not necessary, either physically or logically.

However, if you want to have separation, you should absolutely NOT do it physically. Simply run a vlan for the video network devices.
I tried VLan and physically worked better. Why do you say "absolutly NOT"?

Experimenting with 7MC proved to me that that was the best way to go. Doing so stopped all network issues and stuttering for the most part.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:50 PM
Sage Icon

There is something wrong with your network configuration and/or your equipment.

An L2 VLAN is 100% transparent and should cause absolutely no delay.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:22 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflamm View Post
There is something wrong with your network configuration and/or your equipment.

An L2 VLAN is 100% transparent and should cause absolutely no delay.
Your assuming comercial switches, and not consumer grade switches. I am only using cisco SB router and basic linksys switches.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:19 AM
Sage Icon

Linksys / Cisco gear should work fine. Something else is going on...