SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations > Gemstone for v7
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Gemstone for v7 This forum is for discussing the user-created Gemstone custom interface for SageTV.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:23 AM
Sage Advanced User

Cleaning out old plugins

I've been running Sage for years now. I've installed Gemstone and love it. Becuase I've been using a ton of Java memory, I'm trying to clean out old (unused) plugins.

I have a question: can I remove all of the Phoenix plugins (and associated plugins) if I'm running Gemstone?

Additional question: I'm still running Dirmon to look for new shows and fire up the comskip application. Can I remove the comskip plugins?

Any help is appreciated.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:34 AM
Sage User

I'm interested in what plugins have been replaced by Gemstone and are safe to remove as well.

Since installing Gemstone I seem to be running out of Java memory more often (yes, I have 1024MB) so am trying to clean up as much as possible.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:40 AM
SageTVaholic

Interesting that you guys posted this. I'm not even running Gemstone (never even tried it), but I'm seeing the exact same thing with Java. I wonder if it's related to changes in the Phoenix API or possibly the recent Weather API update.
Tuners: 2 x HD-PVR (HTTP tuning), 2 x HDHR, USB-UIRT
Software: SageTV 7
Old 10-15-2012, 09:06 AM
Sage Icon

This is a WIP,

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...60&postcount=7
Old 10-15-2012, 09:17 AM
Sage Expert

I think you can just try uninstalling plugins... if they are a pre-requisite for something else, the system won't allow you to uninstall it.

Regarding comskip, you probably still want the comskip UI stuff.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:40 AM
Sage Advanced User

Yes, I did go through all plugins a removed everything that I could (or thought I could).

With regard to Phoenix, if I'm using Gemstone, can I remove Phoenix? I like all the fanart with shows and movies....just don't know if Gemstone uses fanart or if I still need Phoenix.....also, don't know if Gemstone uses pieces of Phoenix or if all functions have been replecated/moved/copied to Gemstone.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:48 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano View Post
Yes, I did go through all plugins a removed everything that I could (or thought I could).

With regard to Phoenix, if I'm using Gemstone, can I remove Phoenix? I like all the fanart with shows and movies....just don't know if Gemstone uses fanart or if I still need Phoenix.....also, don't know if Gemstone uses pieces of Phoenix or if all functions have been replecated/moved/copied to Gemstone.
Gemstone will Install Phoenix core etc...
Old 10-15-2012, 10:49 AM
SageTVaholic

Gemstone is dependent on the Phoenix-core, since it uses fanart, weather, and vfs components in Phoenix. You can remove the Phoenix UI since it's just the UI portion of Phoenix and not the APIs.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:50 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirge01 View Post
Interesting that you guys posted this. I'm not even running Gemstone (never even tried it), but I'm seeing the exact same thing with Java. I wonder if it's related to changes in the Phoenix API or possibly the recent Weather API update.
Unless you are running Gemstone, you won't see any of the weather enhancements in Phoenix, since the Phoenix STV hasn't been updated to use the new apis
Old 10-15-2012, 11:21 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
Unless you are running Gemstone, you won't see any of the weather enhancements in Phoenix, since the Phoenix STV hasn't been updated to use the new apis
I'm not using the Phoenix UI either, just the API parts required by other plugins. The weather enhancements I was referring to were the ones Andy brought us in the latest STV. I'm still wondering what commonality has caused the uptick in memory usage, though. Gemstone users and at least one non-Gemstone user is seeing this now, which is somewhat disconcerting.
Tuners: 2 x HD-PVR (HTTP tuning), 2 x HDHR, USB-UIRT
Software: SageTV 7
Old 10-15-2012, 06:15 PM
Sage Advanced User

OK. I've removed all that Sage will let me. However, there are NO Phoenix plugins that can be removed. Does that sound right? Should I remove all plugins, then install only Gemstone?
Old 10-15-2012, 07:38 PM
Sage Icon

Just to clarify, there are no Phoenix Fanart for V7/Malore plugins (UI Mod section) necessary or Diamond/Gemstone. You also do not have to have Phoenix UI (Full UI section) installed for Diamond/Gemstone to work. Some of these will still function with Gemstone but we can't guarantee we didn't break them in some manner.

We do rely on the Phoenix Core Services (it installs the Phoenix API as part of its install) but nothing else has to be installed beyond that. The Core will be installed automatically by Gemstone as it is a dependancy.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:11 PM
Sage Advanced User

ok, so for us short bus sage users, how many different "Phoenix" plugin names should we see in the installed plugins? I see quite a number...

sorry for being so slow and dense....I'm thinking I'm on to something with all the memory usage (that I have just too many plugins installed....over the years I've tried various things and now I cannot get them out....thinking of removing all of them and starting over with just the Gemstone plugin).
Old 10-15-2012, 10:43 PM
Sage Icon

A clean Gemstone install will show the following "Phoenix" plugin(s) only,

Plugins/General/
- Phoenix Core Services

Plugins/Full UI/
- No "Phoenix" Plugins

Plugins/UI Mod/
- No "Phoenix" Plugins

Plugins/Theme/
- No "Phoenix" Plugins

Plugins/Images/
- No "Phoenix" Plugins

Plugins/Library/
- "Phoenix API" plus some other various API's that the Phoenix Core/API depend on...

That being said, it's probably easiest and cleanest to just re-install the client and start fresh. Then you know you don't have anything weird to deal with. Most of the issues we see have to do with Java installs, Java Heap settings (should be 1024MB or 400Hex for Gemstone), plugins not supported by Gemstone, or just too many plugins installed that interact with each other in odd ways.

For me on my clients I only run,

Sagetv 7.1.9 plus,
- Gemstone
- Comskip (JREkiwi)
- Commercial Detector (tmiranda)
- CMT (JREkiwi)
- Batch Delete (tmiranda)
- Miniguide (JREkiwi)
- Playon (Evilpenguin)

If there are specific plugins that don't work with Gemstone and enough people are missing them then add a feature request to our issue log. We can't do everything but if it makes sense and there's a demand we will try to accommodate.

Last edited by jorton; 10-16-2012 at 06:03 AM.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:41 AM
SageTVaholic

<shameless plug>You could the "Remove Plugin and Dependencies" plugin to clean out any unnecessary plugins.</shameless plug>

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:05 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
<shameless plug>You could the "Remove Plugin and Dependencies" plugin to clean out any unnecessary plugins.</shameless plug>
I've used that too!