SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:46 AM
Sage Expert

I'm running the latest 1212 firmware and have had no stability issues or any other issues. Regarding your sound dropouts, have you tried a new power adapter? That fixed my dropouts several years ago.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:59 AM
Sage Icon

My 2 x HDPVRs 1212 on 1.5.7.0 work fine with spdif audio - I fixed the STB output to 720p many years ago... you might want to try that.

Lately I've noticed one of my HDPVRs seems to be acting up... not sure if the issue is related to the power supply, long term use ...

Was wondering if moving to the latest firmware might help? (probably not)

Where would I get a new power supply to try?
Old 10-09-2013, 12:00 PM
Sage Icon

Btw I think mine are the rev F1 (which were more stable than previous ones)
Old 10-09-2013, 12:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflamm View Post
Where would I get a new power supply to try?
I bought mine (1212 power supply) from Hauppauge. Here is the link I used http://www.hauppauge.com/site/websto...wer-supply.asp.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:06 PM
Sage Expert

There are a few threads on the power adapters. Here is one: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55779
Old 10-09-2013, 12:18 PM
Sage Icon

Thanks for the pointers.

That is my symptom - the HDPVR starts but then after a few minutes it turns off (and sometimes back on).

I'll try a new power supply.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:41 PM
Sage Icon

I've got a new power adapter on my 1212 and have had it fixed at 720p for years. The audio drop outs are a known thing with DirecTV, you can find all sorts of complaints about it on the DBS boards. Some say it originates with the MPEG4 transmission conversion equipment the broadcasters use. Some devices are more sensitive to it than others I guess as the 1212 has the issue but the 1512 doesn't for me.

I check it every once in a while when there is new firmware, drivers etc. for the DirecTV receiver or HD-PVR but the drops are still there. If my receiver handled it better with a mute rather than a "pop" I might stick with it, but as it is it's too annoying.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:48 PM
Sage Expert

I think Directv fixed those issues many years ago. When I started having the audio dropout problems, I thought it was that Directv issue too, but it turned out to be bad power supplies on both my 1212s. I have two H21 Directv receivers connected to my 1212 via SPDIF and haven't had any audio dropouts in years. If the Directv receiver itself is creating these dropouts when directly connected to your receiver, more than likely it is a faulty receiver, noise on your line, misaligned dish, or some similar issue.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:46 PM
SageTVaholic

is this something that's just been released...a version with spidf input?

http://hauppauge.com/site/products/d...us-gaming.html
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 10-09-2013, 01:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_Attorney View Post
I think Directv fixed those issues many years ago. When I started having the audio dropout problems, I thought it was that Directv issue too, but it turned out to be bad power supplies on both my 1212s. I have two H21 Directv receivers connected to my 1212 via SPDIF and haven't had any audio dropouts in years.
I would agree with this. I don't have problems on my 1212 HD-PVRs from H21, H23 & H24 STBs. I do have audio problems with my Colossus recording via HDMI.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:05 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
is this something that's just been released...a version with spidf input?

http://hauppauge.com/site/products/d...us-gaming.html
Yes, looks like it is new, but basically identical to the 1512 except for an external record button. I'm sure it will pose the same issues with Sage as the 1512, since the HDPVR 2 1480 showed the same live TV HD300 bug.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:28 PM
Sage Icon

FYI - called Hauppauge and it looks like they will ship me a new power supply (good customer service).
Old 10-09-2013, 02:35 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
FYI - called Hauppauge and it looks like they will ship me a new power supply (good customer service).
I have heard that from others. Since I was buying in bulk (3 at a time for 3 HD-PVRs) to replace the bad one at the time and enough to do the others - I just purchased them. I got Hauppauge to repair a PVR-500 for me for what I think was a reasonable amount since it was my fault it got damaged in the first place. Saved me having to purchase another card at the time.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:11 PM
Sage Icon

It is interesting to note that the HD PVR2 have a different power supply:

Replacement power supply for HD PVR 2
Power supply for HD PVR 2
6 v @ 2a wall mounted power supply
$11.95

Wonder if they were under volting everything the whole time or if the new box really has a different requirement...
Old 10-09-2013, 03:27 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
It is interesting to note that the HD PVR2 have a different power supply:

Replacement power supply for HD PVR 2
Power supply for HD PVR 2
6 v @ 2a wall mounted power supply
$11.95

Wonder if they were under volting everything the whole time or if the new box really has a different requirement...
They are using completely different chips on the HD PVR 2 models vs the 1212, so it's probably an apples-to-orange comparison.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:31 PM
Sage Icon

Sure - understand that chipset is different. But rail voltage is typically +/- 5v on all of these types of chips...
Old 10-09-2013, 03:35 PM
Sage Icon

what can happen when temp rises is the resistors can increase value - which means current drops unless input voltage is higher... since it is DC 5v there is no voltage rectifier in the circuitry... Having a 6v source guarantees the proper current and prob doesnt put the chip out of voltage spec.
just a thought / guess...
Old 10-09-2013, 03:37 PM
Sage Expert

Interesting thought. I'm no EE, so your guess is probably better informed than mine.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:32 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_Attorney View Post
I think Directv fixed those issues many years ago. When I started having the audio dropout problems, I thought it was that Directv issue too, but it turned out to be bad power supplies on both my 1212s. I have two H21 Directv receivers connected to my 1212 via SPDIF and haven't had any audio dropouts in years. If the Directv receiver itself is creating these dropouts when directly connected to your receiver, more than likely it is a faulty receiver, noise on your line, misaligned dish, or some similar issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhoenix View Post
I would agree with this. I don't have problems on my 1212 HD-PVRs from H21, H23 & H24 STBs. I do have audio problems with my Colossus recording via HDMI.
OK, I haven't tried since this past Spring, I'll give it another go.

But people were still complaning generally about the issue on DBSTalk as of June.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:49 AM
Sage Expert

It looks like at least some of the persistent issues at DBStalk have to do with noise or local equipment. Since people are more-or-less getting the same signal from the same satellites (almost), I would think everyone would be experiencing the drop out issues if it was still coming from Directv's source.

Have you looked through your receiver's menu to see the individual signal strengths from each satellite transmitter signal? That could give you an idea if there is alignment or signal issues.