SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 08-07-2012, 05:02 AM
Sage Fanatic

Want to rebuild my wiz.bin - the easy way

Hey guys my SageTV installation is running poorly. Real poorly. I want to reinstall and recreate my wiz.bin but I want to export and import my favorites if possible. I think everything else I Can re-import in such a way by finding movies and recordings, and reinstall / setup my tuners. Anyone used anything to do this?

Also anyone do any type of custom EPG export and import so my selected channels won't be forgotten? I have directv and it seems like every other channel is an advertising crap channel that I have to unselect...

Thanks!

Neil
Old 08-07-2012, 05:34 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by heffneil View Post
Also anyone do any type of custom EPG export and import so my selected channels won't be forgotten? I have directv and it seems like every other channel is an advertising crap channel that I have to unselect...
Maybe this: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50378
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 08-07-2012, 07:19 AM
Sage Fanatic

That is very interesting! I will test it out. Thanks for the heads up.

Anyone know about a favorites importer exporter?
Old 08-07-2012, 07:47 AM
SageTVaholic

You might want to also take a look at this thread.

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58510
Old 08-07-2012, 10:18 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Hey guys my SageTV installation is running poorly. Real poorly. I want to reinstall and recreate my wiz.bin but I want to export and import my favorites if possible. I think everything else I Can re-import in such a way by finding movies and recordings, and reinstall / setup my tuners. Anyone used anything to do this?

Thanks!

Neil

Before you do that, make sure that you don't have Sage looking for "rogue" files that no longer exist. When I was having performance issues it ended up being because I had Sage looking for a lot of stuff that didn't exist (was looking at an old network path that no longer existed).

Jeff suggested using the (probably won't spell it right) "disable_root_path_check" set to true to have sage clean out all the stuff that doesn't exist, just make sure everything that should exist does appear to sage.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:26 PM
Sage Fanatic

When I tune a channel I will hear the audio for at least 30 seconds before the video will begin to show. The screen shows the tuning prompt for the channel. When I stop watching a show or a recording I get the spinning wheel of death for at least 30 seconds until I get back to the videos list or the guide. I think I am pushing sage passed its capabilities with the number of videos and tuners I have but I want to test on a second installation to confirm that it isn't a corrupt / screwed up wiz.bin.

In the meantime I changed that setting to true. Not sure exactly what it does or if it will take time to clean up the crap. any ideas there?

Thanks,

Neil
Old 08-07-2012, 02:46 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Before you do that, make sure that you don't have Sage looking for "rogue" files that no longer exist. When I was having performance issues it ended up being because I had Sage looking for a lot of stuff that didn't exist (was looking at an old network path that no longer existed).

Jeff suggested using the (probably won't spell it right) "disable_root_path_check" set to true to have sage clean out all the stuff that doesn't exist, just make sure everything that should exist does appear to sage.
Is there a way to tell if sage is failing at finding files? I moved my pictures and music to a nas device and am wondering if that could be causing recent slowness in my system...
Check out TVExplorer
Old 08-07-2012, 03:37 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
When I tune a channel I will hear the audio for at least 30 seconds before the video will begin to show. The screen shows the tuning prompt for the channel. When I stop watching a show or a recording I get the spinning wheel of death for at least 30 seconds until I get back to the videos list or the guide. I think I am pushing sage passed its capabilities with the number of videos and tuners I have but I want to test on a second installation to confirm that it isn't a corrupt / screwed up wiz.bin.
Well the simple test is to just delete the wiz.bin (back it up first ) and see if it's better. If it is, you know it's something with the wiz.bin.

Quote:
In the meantime I changed that setting to true. Not sure exactly what it does or if it will take time to clean up the crap. any ideas there?
I believe it should be done by the time Sage is running, or at least by the time the first import scan completes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by razrsharpe View Post
Is there a way to tell if sage is failing at finding files? I moved my pictures and music to a nas device and am wondering if that could be causing recent slowness in my system...
Seems to me when I saw it I was seeing a lot of hangs, in the log, but I think Jeff had to send me a special jar with some debug stuff to actually see for sure that it was hanging while looking for "bad" files. For me it was the comskip plugin looking for files on nonexistant paths.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:51 PM
Sage Fanatic

I changed it to true but then it looks like sage made it back to false is that typical?
Old 08-07-2012, 04:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I changed it to true but then it looks like sage made it back to false is that typical?
Yes when it is done it goes back to false.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:58 PM
Sage Fanatic

I ran it - I don't think it helped despite I wanted it to. In the archive it referenced another flag to set to true as well - I didn't try it.

I did notice that some of my recordings seem to now be in my videos <shrug? how do I fix that?
Old 08-09-2012, 10:46 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I did notice that some of my recordings seem to now be in my videos <shrug? how do I fix that?
The short answer is through the web interface.
All in lovely Drexel Hill, PA
Old 08-09-2012, 12:02 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

Thanks,

Neil
Do you use extenders or clients? I have that issue on my main client, but I have a crapload of plugins running (diamond seems to be a big part of the problem). On a bare client with a base sage v7 install that doesn't happen. I don't watch live tv often enough for it to bother me. I'm planning a complete reinstall just to refresh everything.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:28 PM
Sage Fanatic

I just setup my first client and I am stilling having the slowness. I think a big part of my problem is that my recordings and movies all sit on unraid which has its disks spun down. I don't know why stopping a recording (which is to a local disk) would cause the guide to render so poorly.

I do have a TON of sources as well all within my guide. I have 3 HD-PVR's tuning directv and a Avermedia tuning comcast and an HDHomeRun tuning comcast as well...

Neil