SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Linux Discussion related to the SageTV Media Center for Linux. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Linux should be posted here.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:31 PM

migrating/upgrading from Sagetv on Mac to Sagetv on Linux

I've been using Sagetv on my Mac for several years, but since it is no longer getting updates nor being maintained, I'd like to switch to Sagetv on a linux box. I'm currently running v. 6.6.2 on my Mac.

Any thoughts or suggestions about moving to the latest version on a Linux box? I'm using a HD Homerun tuner which will work with no problems on both, and I store all my media on a NAS so no problems there either. I guess one question I have is what to do about my license key. Will the one I have now on my Mac work on a Linux install? Or will I need a new license key? Do they even offer new ones?? Just wondering what my options are.

Thanks.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:17 AM
SageTVaholic

You will need a new license key.

B
Old 05-05-2012, 11:21 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins View Post
You will need a new license key.

B
I recall someone asked the very same question regarding the license in the forum and to be precise the licence is independent from the platform, however if I understood correctly you want to move from v6 (Mac) to v7 (Linux) correct? In this case then you need a new license indeed, this is due to the fact that Sage introduced the need of purchase a new licence for everybody willing to move from v6 to v7 and not because of the platform.

In short, you can still move to Linux if you want, but you have to stick with v6 on Linux as well.

Automatic Power Off | Squeezeslave | DVB-S Importer | DVB Decrypter & Card Client | Tuner Preroll

Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit. ~ Elbert Hubbard
Old 05-05-2012, 12:19 PM
SageTVaholic

Not true. You won't be using your same key on Linux. Mac and Windows may use the same key (do they?) But Linux does not. You will need a Linux key.

B
Old 05-05-2012, 12:59 PM
Sage Icon

Another thing to contemplate.

From my understanding, at least the Windows license key does not "reach out" to a Sage server for authentication whereas I have read that Linux does.

So if you get a Linux key, and install, what happens if you have to rebuild down the line and Sage doesn't have the authentication server up and running?

Might you be SOL? if you are on Linux?

Don't have the answers, but just something you might want to find out before you go down this path
Old 05-05-2012, 04:48 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins View Post
Not true. You won't be using your same key on Linux. Mac and Windows may use the same key (do they?) But Linux does not. You will need a Linux key.

B
I do apologize for the confusion, what I read while ago was:

...it appears that if you have the Sage-Windows license, it IS swapable with the Sage-Windows Home Server product and viceversa...

Automatic Power Off | Squeezeslave | DVB-S Importer | DVB Decrypter & Card Client | Tuner Preroll

Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit. ~ Elbert Hubbard
Old 05-07-2012, 09:00 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by graywolf View Post
So if you get a Linux key, and install, what happens if you have to rebuild down the line and Sage doesn't have the authentication server up and running?

Might you be SOL? if you are on Linux?
The license server generates a unique, machine-specific license file based on the license key and the ethernet MAC address of the linux machine. So if you have
both:
a) the MAC address
b) the generated license file
then you'll always be able to re-install. The trick is that to move sagetv to a new server with the same generated license file, you'll need configure your NICs MAC address to be the same as the one on the old server.

You can print both on a sheet of paper & put them in your safety deposit box

Drew
Client: Nvidia Shield (HD300, HD100 in storage)
Old 05-07-2012, 11:06 AM
Sage Icon

I tried using the SageTV Linux version. It was very difficult to install. Fortunately, the forum had plenty of help to get the Linux SageTV version running on identical hardware to my Windows SageTV system. After I built up the Linux SageTV version, I took an image of it. The Linux version is incompatible with Playon, which you need for streaming Netflex with SageTV. About a month later I quit using the Linux version and continued using the Windows SageTV version . I'm keeping the Linux license just in case for some reason I ever want to use the Linux SageTV version again. I think it might be hard to find someone that has a Linux license to sell, I don't think that version had a lot of users, compared to the Windows version.

I think you would be much better off going to the Windows 7 64-bit operating system. If you need firewire, use the 32-bit version. Buy a SageTV Windows Media Center license from someone. Also buy a couple Windows client licenses in case your HD-200 or HD-300 extenders quit working. Periodically image your Windows SageTV system with Acronis and the Plus Pack or some other imaging software that allows for recoveries onto different hardware. Store the image files in multiple places on disk or tape, but not on optical disk since burned optical disk is a poor choice for reliable recoveries.

Dave
Old 05-07-2012, 12:17 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
I tried using the SageTV Linux version. It was very difficult to install. Fortunately, the forum had plenty of help to get the Linux SageTV version running on identical hardware to my Windows SageTV system
For me, it is easier to install the Linux version than the Windows version. I guess it is just what you are used to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
. After I built up the Linux SageTV version, I took an image of it. The Linux version is incompatible with Playon, which you need for streaming Netflex with SageTV. About a month later I quit using the Linux version and continued
That's not a major disadvantage. I watch shows from Playon nearly every day. I have a cron job on my sagetv server, which "records" the desired show from Playon running in a windows VM, imports it into SageTV, and runs comskip on it. No "browsing", but if you plan ahead you get full comskip and the ability to fast-forward instantly.

Drew
Client: Nvidia Shield (HD300, HD100 in storage)