SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-02-2011, 08:28 PM
Sage Advanced User

WHS Sage Service Keeps Stopping

I need to log on to my server via the console, and restart the service to connect my clients/hd200

Just started happening not long ago, been using it for years without this problem.

WHS1 and sage 7.1.256 (I think)

Any idea why this is happening ?
Old 12-03-2011, 10:39 AM
SageTVaholic

Some things to try: Check your username/password for the service, if you're using it. Check the free space on your C: drive. Check the event viewer for any errors.
Tuners: 2 x HD-PVR (HTTP tuning), 2 x HDHR, USB-UIRT
Software: SageTV 7
Old 12-03-2011, 11:02 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sector7g View Post
I need to log on to my server via the console, and restart the service to connect my clients/hd200

Just started happening not long ago, been using it for years without this problem.

WHS1 and sage 7.1.256 (I think)

Any idea why this is happening ?
You may check your Java version.
Some people have reported problems with version 7.
I recently disable the Java updates on my whs when I noticed it was downloaded and ready to install.
Good luck
Mike
Old 12-04-2011, 03:54 PM
Sage Icon

I had similar issues on my WHS v1 server. It was because I ran out of C drive space. The default 20 gb is not enough.

Unfortunately I had to rebuild my server from scratch which was not fun. However I did do the "hack" that allows you to expand the C partition when you create a new server from scratch. Now I have 60gb which should be enough (I hope).
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 12-15-2011, 02:03 PM
Sage Icon

A follow up to my situation. I rebuilt the WHS OS and halted the process at the right point and increased the sys partition to 60gb. That worked great and the system correctly shows 60gb as the sys partition.

However my SageTV service halts still continued. A few days later, the machine finally started throwing out drive errors for 1 of my 2 SageTV hard drives (not part of the WHS pool). When I removed the bad drive, the service halts stopped.

I suspect that the drive has been going bad for some time and caused bad sectors. When Sage tried to read or write to one of these bad sectors, the service would crap out.

While I am glad I increased my sys partition, that wasn't the root of my problem. Of course now I can stream Netflix and Playon shows again without the file quitting among a lot of other benefits to a larger sys partition, so I am not unhappy that I decided to rebuilt the server.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 12-22-2011, 08:43 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for the replies.

I do have almost 4 gigs free on the C: sys drive. I would expect that to me sufficient.

I have had a few failing drive reports in the past, but I have fixed them using the repair function. I haven't received any notice of a bad drive in at least 6 months.

Still the service stops...
Old 12-27-2011, 08:06 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sector7g View Post
Thanks for the replies.

I do have almost 4 gigs free on the C: sys drive. I would expect that to me sufficient.

I have had a few failing drive reports in the past, but I have fixed them using the repair function. I haven't received any notice of a bad drive in at least 6 months.

Still the service stops...
I just had my system drive go bad (I think anyway). Got log files (and Windows.ebd?) in the 6-10GB size range in WHSv1 system so filled up my C drive. That particular system has been retired and my new Virtual WHSv1 system is humming along. Also have a SageTV Win7x64 VM and an unRAID VM on ESXi 4.1u1. Had to login to WHS console daily in Safe mode and delete the files to get my C: drive space back. Lasted a day or so until it filled up again also rebooted because of system errors alot. Had lots of bad recordings as I was using SageTV WHS version until I virtualized and separated functions. Holding all drives in original system for a few months until I'm sure I don't need the backups. System rebooted so often I wasn't able to backup with BDBB since it didn't stay running long enough.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:38 AM
Sage Advanced User

So is an OS re-install the only way to fix this?

Kinda unreasonable to have to uninstall the whole OS just to fix a problem with an individual program. It would be like cutting off a finger just because your cut got infected...

Uninstalling sage tv and reinstalling did not help.

Changing permissions on the service did not help.

Enabling service recovery did not help (even selected restart computer)

I think it does not realize it has stopped.

Even in the home server console it still says started. (although it might be just a refresh needed)
Old 01-20-2012, 01:18 PM
SageTVaholic

And there's absolutely no errors in the Windows event viewer saying there are any issues around the time the service stops?
Old 01-25-2012, 08:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

Im not sure when the service stops, but I have alot of these

The WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service suspended operation.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:41 PM
Sage Advanced User

Woke up one morning to see the red light on my hd200 ad I though, wow the service actually stayed on over night... but it did not, however I had an error on my server this time.

Runtime Error!

Program: c:\programfiles\sagetv\sagetv\sagetvservice.exe

R6025

-pure virtual function call

Any got any ideas ?
Old 02-06-2012, 09:02 PM
SageTVaholic

I did a quick search on "pure virtual function call" and found this. I've never seen this particular error and it's pretty "out there" as far as possible issues with SageTV itself. You might want to try uninstalling and reinstalling SageTV. Alternatively, see if the error occurs when you don't use the service aspect and just keep the program running on the server.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:20 PM
Sage Advanced User

Ya the microsoft KB is a whole lotta

I tried just keeping sage running on the server, not using the service, but even that stops working.

Something is amiss, perhaps even more than just the service not working.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:47 PM
Sage Advanced User

Does the repair function from a winxp disk work for WHS ?

I was thinking of trying that, maybe this is more of an OS issue rather than a sage issue, even though I only seem to have problems with sage.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:42 PM
Sage User

I am going through this exact same problem after 2 years with no issues. Running sagetv on WHS with 3 HD200's. Planning an OS reinstall this weekend. WAF is hitting new lows daily.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:02 AM
Sage Advanced User

If you have been running for a awhile, you have to ask yourself what changed? updates to WHS, Java? if those changed, is there a way to go back? (backups, load an older version of Java).

Don't discount hardware failure - CPU, Memory, or HD are the basics, might throw a jperf in to test the NIC/network.

Check CPU and memory with linpack (Intel) or prime95 (AMD) for a number of hours.
Check HD with the manufactures diagnostics or HDTune.
Check memory with memtest386+.

BTW - all the above are freeware. Unfortunately it takes time to run these.

How is your heat on CPU as well as Video card? After a couple years the heatsink paste can dry up and things can heat up (cpuid hardware monitor will display CPU heat unless it's Dell or HP, etc., they sometimes don't include the necessary sensors to read). Be sure to blow out all the dust bunnies from the heatsinks/fans (do this outside with can of air or compressor).

If all of these test as ok, at least you know what is not. Then continue with your re-install. I might even try a plain old vanilla Win XP or Win 7 just to remove WHS as the possible culprit. I believe Win7 will allow you to run for 30 days before requiring an activation.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:14 AM
Sage Advanced User

It might actually have something to do with memory issue.

If I start the service it starts ~ 10K I just checked, when my server was running ball slow and it was over 450k

What should the service be @ when up for a day + ?

is there a cap?

will it keep getting bigger ?
Old 03-24-2012, 12:50 PM
Sage Advanced User

I was off a bit on the numbers. The 10K was the service launch .exe

The actual service ranges from 200K-400K

I was able to keep the service running for at least 3 days, without connecting my hd200 to the server.

As soon as I connected the HD200 to the server, it would eventually stop.

It may or may not do this while connecting a client or placeshifter. I will do more testing.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:35 PM
Sage User

Talking

I just wanted to follow up and post the resolution to this problem. When I started digging I had so many errors with WHS that I decided to reinstall. Still no success. It seemed like service was stopping even more frequently. Sometimes when an extender was turned on or when navigating menus. Hard drives tested fine. Network was solid. SO i installed an old copy of XP and did fresh install of Sagetv. Made sure there were no plugins installed. Worked for 1 day then back to same problems. Then I did what I should have done in the beginning. I ran memtest and found that 1 of the sticks of RAM was bad. Pulled it out and now sage working perfectly! Can't believe I skipped over such a basic step but I was sure it was a WHS issue. Anyway hopefully this can help someone if they are having the same problem.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:10 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for the reply,

Ill try that and report back