SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 07-15-2006, 12:18 AM
Sage Advanced User

Stopping Sage when going into hibernation

Hi,

It seems that I need to restart Sage when coming out of hibernation.
I almost had it working (http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18868
but now the problem is more with stopping Sage before starting it again.

When I stop it right after the machine has regained consciousness it hangs most of the times (probably because it can't connect to the services properly).
Therefore the starting of Sage doesn't happen so I'm stuck watching at a Sage screen with the logo turning endlessly.

How can I stop Sage before the machine goes into hibernation? I have it set to hibernate after 5 minutes of inactivity or when I press the on/off button.

Thanks,

Franc.
Old 07-15-2006, 02:14 PM
Sage Advanced User

Looks like I'm talking to myself about this problem but hey, maybe someone finds this useful.

I found the script wasn't reliable. It was supposed to be able to stop Sage before hibernation but didn't, leaving SageTV in a hanging state after resume.

So I found this little program: http://www.rpi.edu/~desimn/suspendtrigger/index.html
You can let it run a program or a script when going into hibernation and another one after resuming.

So I made .cmd file that calls "killtask" (WinXP only, it seems) to kill SageTV and another .cmd that starts SageTV.exe with the -startup argument to get it to come back to fullscreen after resume.

Now my SageTV runs fresh and the remote works after resuming.

Thanks for watching,

Good night

Franc,
Old 07-16-2006, 04:22 AM
Sage Expert

Your using hibernate rather than standby? Standby just worked for me, Sage wakes up for recordings or when I kick the power button.
Old 07-16-2006, 04:31 AM
Sage Advanced User

Yeah, hibernation works great!
It resumes when it needs to record and goes into hibernation after 5 minutes of doing nothing. Created a task for updating XMLTV that also wakes the machine up.

I understand that hibernation eats less power than standby.

My only problem was with the remote (IRMAN) not working anymore after resuming. It lost focus somehow.
So now I stop SageTV.exe before hibernating and start it again after resume.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:39 AM
Sage Advanced User

What is the advantage of Standby over Hibernation, if any?
I always thought Hibernation is supposed to use less energy...
Old 07-19-2006, 06:02 AM
Sage Fanatic

Yes Hibernation uses less power, but Standby resumes much faster since it does not need to dump the memory state to disk. I used to use Hibernate because of problems with Standby, but now that I have pulled some hardware It works fine.
Living Room: WinXP Pro SP2, AMD XP3200+, 1GB, 1.3TB 3ware 9500S12 RAID5, GigaByte GA7N400Pro2, 2xVBOX USB2 HD Tuner<-Antennna, 1xHDHR<-Antennna , HD100 to HDMI Splitter 1080i->32" 4:3 HDTV or 1080i->92" 1080P LCD Projector
Kitchen: WinXP Home SP2, Celeron 2.0Ghz, 512MB, 40GB, Saphire ATI MB, ATI9200->19"LCD
2 BedRooms: MediaMVP
Old 07-19-2006, 06:06 AM
Sage Advanced User

I noticed the difference in resume-times, so I am now trying out Standby.
Not sure if I like it better though, it seems that my restart op SageTV.exe works better with hibernation than with standby, but I'll give it some time.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:21 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franc
I noticed the difference in resume-times, so I am now trying out Standby.
Not sure if I like it better though, it seems that my restart op SageTV.exe works better with hibernation than with standby, but I'll give it some time.
If you're talking about the machine doing this automatically, I doubt you will appreciate much difference in resume times (it takes ~30 seconds vs. ~10 seconds with standby -- with my setup at least). If you are hitting a button and standing there watching the thing resume from hibernation, the standby mode will be appreciably faster (seconds just seem to take longer to tick by when staring at a windows splash screen.)
Old 07-21-2006, 06:24 AM
Sage Advanced User

Yeah I noticed that.
But when I start it up I usually hit the button first or wake it up remotely and then turn on the TV, get a cup of coffee and then open my eyes
So by the time I am ready for Sage, Sage is ready for me

I switched back to hibernation.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:43 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franc
Yeah I noticed that.
But when I start it up I usually hit the button first or wake it up remotely and then turn on the TV, get a cup of coffee and then open my eyes
So by the time I am ready for Sage, Sage is ready for me

I switched back to hibernation.
I've just started to think about setting this up. I have no A/C in my house, and it regularly gets to 90+ in my office. My poor PC has been near death for the past several weeks, so I've started shutting it down when it's not in use. I don't have anything recording right now so it's no big deal, but when the regular season starts back up I'll need to have it wake up automatically. I am currently using standby because I want to be able to resume from my MCE remote (HTPC and TV are in different rooms -- one upstairs and one downstairs. Makes it a pain to have to push a button on the CPU.)
Old 07-21-2006, 06:48 AM
Sage Advanced User

Works great for me.
I have set it to hibernate after 5 minutes of inactivity.
Sage wakes it up when it needs to record something.
If it's done recording and I'm not doing anything else, it'll hibernate after 5 minutes.
If I need it when it's off I push the button or use my wake-on-lan tool to wake it up (also very handy when I am not at home and I need access).

Only thing I haven't figured out yet is how to wake it up with the remote (IRMAN in serial port).