SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:20 AM
Administrator

Using cablecard tuner with Cablevision?

After adding SageDCT links to a hardware sticky the other day, I got more interested in it.

Does anyone know whether any of the channels are copy freely on Cablevision? So far, that's the only thing I haven't been able to find comments on. Thanks.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:20 AM
Sage User

I was wondering about this as well...
Old 11-28-2011, 09:40 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
... Does anyone know whether any of the channels are copy freely on Cablevision? ... - Andy
Hey Andy, Glad to beable to help you out.

I have cablevision and am using the prime, everything is CopyOnce, and CBS is copy protected as well. That being said WMC7 works great. Big deal I know. Right now I have the kids using WMC7 so the Prime doesn't go to waste, and I am about to get the dual tuner HDHR for the normal "Free" channels. To free up the cable boxes for HBO etc..

I have called tech support so many times they just bounce me around and won't answer my calls anymore. No one there knows anything about the copy flags and are as dumb as it gets - yes cablevision I hope you read this!

Only two months with cable and I am about to go back to Directv, and put up with the service outages from storms ...

-Skybolt
Old 11-28-2011, 10:13 AM
Sage User

The Cablevision Yahoo group for is monitored by Wilt H. It seems to be a good place to go when all else fails.

http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/cab...gital/messages
Old 11-28-2011, 10:28 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybolt View Post
I have cablevision and am using the prime, everything is CopyOnce, and CBS is copy protected as well. That being said WMC7 works great. Big deal I know. Right now I have the kids using WMC7 so the Prime doesn't go to waste, and I am about to get the dual tuner HDHR for the normal "Free" channels. To free up the cable boxes for HBO etc..

I have called tech support so many times they just bounce me around and won't answer my calls anymore. No one there knows anything about the copy flags and are as dumb as it gets - yes cablevision I hope you read this!
Thanks for the comment -- I think this means I won't bother with trying a CC tuner at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aglennon View Post
The Cablevision Yahoo group for is monitored by Wilt H. It seems to be a good place to go when all else fails.

http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/cab...gital/messages
I just took a glance at the only CCI related topic I saw there & it seemed to indicate there was no resolution to everything being copy protected.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:31 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Thanks for the comment -- I think this means I won't bother with trying a CC tuner at the moment.

I just took a glance at the only CCI related topic I saw there & it seemed to indicate there was no resolution to everything being copy protected.

- Andy
Yeah, if the kids didn't like using MC, the prime would be a door stop basiclly. I should mention that randomly channels below 200 open up like syfi, but there the standard definition ones, not the HD so whats the point? I really really hate DRM!
Old 01-22-2012, 06:45 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
After adding SageDCT links to a hardware sticky the other day, I got more interested in it.

Does anyone know whether any of the channels are copy freely on Cablevision? So far, that's the only thing I haven't been able to find comments on. Thanks.

- Andy
After months of bugging tech support, and a few letters. All except premium and SciHD are working fine. For what ever reason they won't remove copyonce from the science channel!
Old 01-23-2012, 08:25 AM
Administrator

Quote:
After months of bugging tech support, and a few letters. All except premium and SciHD are working fine. For what ever reason they won't remove copyonce from the science channel!
Hmmm... I wonder if that will be company-wide.

I think I'll need to the HDHR Prime, since I'm still using Windows XP. I'll have to go look into this more since it looks like it might now be a possibility.

- Andy
Old 01-23-2012, 05:07 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Hmmm... I wonder if that will be company-wide.

I think I'll need to the HDHR Prime, since I'm still using Windows XP. I'll have to go look into this more since it looks like it might now be a possibility.

- Andy
At this point I am not sorry I got the prime, it has added the need recording relief I needed. But the newer dual tunner HDHomerun also works just as nice, since cablevision has 2-12 opened up. The Prime works for the once in awhile USA, TNT & FX kind of stuff ... Since the prime supports DRM the premium channels will never be available to us, the $89 for the dual HDHomeRun was a better purchase, for me anyway.

-Skybolt
Old 01-23-2012, 06:46 PM
SageTVaholic

I went down this road with the Ceton 4 tuner device + Cablecard + Tuning Adapter. Once I realized that Time Warner has pretty much everything locked down, I dumped WMC7 and headed back to SageTV, after adding the HD-PVR connected via component HD.

It really chaps my rear end that the fat cat copy flags won't let me encode one of my TV programs and move it to watch on my tablet, especially when there are other cable providers out there that seem to leave 95% of their stuff wide open. I won't even go into the bullcrap regarding the Playready fiascos ...
Old 01-23-2012, 07:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
At this point I am not sorry I got the prime, it has added the need recording relief I needed. But the newer dual tunner HDHomerun also works just as nice, since cablevision has 2-12 opened up. The Prime works for the once in awhile USA, TNT & FX kind of stuff ... Since the prime supports DRM the premium channels will never be available to us, the $89 for the dual HDHomeRun was a better purchase, for me anyway.
I've already have an HDHR for QAM & OTA; I'm considering the HDHR Prime for the non clear QAM channels that I currently require the HD-PVR for. (Yes, I know it still wouldn't record HBO, but I could use the extra tuners for USA, Comedy Central, kids channels, etc.)

- Andy
Old 01-23-2012, 08:03 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I've already have an HDHR for QAM & OTA; I'm considering the HDHR Prime for the non clear QAM channels that I currently require the HD-PVR for. (Yes, I know it still wouldn't record HBO, but I could use the extra tuners for USA, Comedy Central, kids channels, etc.)

- Andy
Yeah that's what I use it for, also it's an instant backup using WMC7, should something happen to my sage setup. I setup a gameing PC based on WIN7 ultimate and it's already configured for the Prime.

-SKybolt
Old 03-29-2012, 01:52 PM
Administrator

I finally got around to buying an HDHomeRun prime to use with my Cablevision service & found that nearly all the non-premium channels that I regularly record from seem to be copy freely, so those extra CC tuners should resolve the last few conflicts where 2 cable boxes can't record everything.

I think I'll test it for a while before putting it into full use, though, to make sure I've got it working properly.

- Andy
Old 04-30-2012, 10:41 AM

Opus - any update on the HDHRPrime?
Old 04-30-2012, 01:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by member View Post
any update on the HDHRPrime?
It is essentially as Skybolt & I mentioned above: many of the non-premium channels are copy freely. I'm using two HDHR Primes, each with its tuning adapter from Cablevision & haven't had problems so far.

- Andy