SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:19 PM
Sage User

HDPVR crashes sage if watching standard def (not HD)

I have a machine dedicated to nothing but sage, running WIn7 on an AMD Phenom 965 with 8Gig of memory. Everything works fine when I watch or record high def channels from my Motorola cable box, but if I tune to a non HD channel, I get a picture and sound for a few moments then sage COMPLETELY crashes and closes out including the service. I have to restart everything, and then unless I tune to an HD channel, it will simply do it again. Doesn't matter what the circumstances are, it crashes. Oddly, if I try to PLAY a recorded non HD show, I find that it actually recorded properly and can be watched in software other than SAGE, but Sage will simple exit if I try to watch recorded non-HD content. This just started recently (about 45 days ago) and nothing in particular changed to precipitate it. I have since upgraded my graphics card, checked that every other possible softwar is update. Nothing seems to help. Any idea or suggestions?
Old 10-13-2011, 09:06 PM
Sage User

I'll throw out two suggestions..

1). Update the drivers of your capture device. Since you are recording HD from a cable box, I'm assuming it's probably a HD-PVR or Colossus card.

2). Try locking the output of your cable box to HD, such as 1080i. You'll need need to access the Service Menu of the cable box to do it. You'll probably need to check the support forum of your ISP or google it to find instructions. For my motorola box, I had to power it off and then use the 'Menu' button on the remote to bring up the service menu.
- Hauppauge HD-PVR (with fan mod) - HD Cable Box
- Hauppauge Colossus - HD Cable Box
- HDHomeRun (x3) - Over the Air HD
- HD300 x2

Last edited by gambitpvr; 10-13-2011 at 09:08 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:28 PM
Sage User

Can't use the new HDPVR drivers. They suck mightily for me. All the color adjustments go haywire and I can't get them back to normal. I saw multiple people have that issue and the only solutions I saw were temporary and needed to be re-applied regularly so I went back to old one. I will try the service menu thing tho. That's an interesting idea.

How does the box convert the 480 to 1080i? I didn't think that capability was in the box.