SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 10-05-2011, 01:11 PM
Sage User

start padding doubled after archiving

Hi,

I apologize up front if this has already been covered here - I did a search, but didn't find anything that looked related to my issue.

Since upgrading to Version 7, I've noticed that when I archive a show or movie by moving it from a recordings directory to an import directory, the padding at the beginning of the show is doubled.

So, for example, I've got my start padding at 2 minutes for most recordings. Up until the time I archive any given recording, it plays fine, starting at the 0:00 mark with the 2 minutes of padding before the time the show was set to air, just as it always has.

After I archive the recording, then play it, it will start with the 0:00 mark 4 minutes into the recording, which is 2 minutes beyond the start of the recording. If I archive a show that had 3 minutes of pad, it will start 6 minutes in from that point on. It almost seems as if the file is physically modified to change the padding when it's archived.

I'm guessing this is a bug in version 7, and while it's certainly not catastrophic, I find it to be very annoying because I archive quite a lot of recordings, and once a recording has the issue, it doesn't seem to be reversible (so far).

Note: This issue does not seem to affect shows I had archived previous to upgrading to version 7. It does, however, seem to affect any recordings I have archived since, whether they were recorded before or after the upgrade.

Things I've tried so far to fix a recording with this issue:
- turn the archive flag off - no dice.
- move the show back to the recordings directory - still broke.

Please reply if you have seen this, can duplicate it, or know how to fix it.

Thanks in advance!

-Gary
Old 10-05-2011, 03:41 PM
Sage Icon

Are you certain your 00:00 is where you think it is?

Pre-padding is often skipped on initial playback. You have the option to rewind into the pre-padding if needed.
SageTV server & client: Win 10 Pro x64, Intel DH67CF, Core i5 2405s, 8 GB ram, Intel HD 3000, 40GB SSD system, 4TB storage, 2x HD PVR component + optical audio, USB-UIRT 2 zones + remote hack, Logitech Harmony One, HDMI output to Sony receiver with native Intel bitstreaming
Old 10-05-2011, 04:32 PM
Sage User

@korben_dallas: Yes. For archived recordings, the 00:00 is now 4 minutes in instead of 2. Therefore, when I start playback from the beginning, it starts 4 minutes in, showing a time of 0:00 and counting from there. Since I want to watch virtually everything from the time it was supposed to start (naturally), I have to rewind to -2:00 (which is the real 0:00). To get to the very beginning of the recording, I can rewind all the way back through the original padding to -4:00.

At first, I didn't realize what was going on. I just noticed the shows I was watching would all seem to start playing a couple minutes in. I didn't think much of it (like maybe the network started the show late) but when I noticed it was happening over and over AND I noticed I could rewind all the way back to -4:00, it became obvious what was going on.

Again, this only happens with recordings I've moved to archive since upgrading to version 7. If I just record something and watch it immediately, it works fine.

I do have one other person (a friend at work) who's verified that his v7 Sage system does the same thing.

I'd really appreciate if others would try this also and post back their results.

Thanks,
-Gary
Old 10-05-2011, 07:21 PM
SageTVaholic

Question for you. What do you have your end padding set at? I'll bet you have the beginning and ending padding the same on all of the recordings? When I've seen this I look at a "Archived" recording and see NO end pad and all the padding at the beginning. So it isn't really doubled since I have 2 before and 3 after when recorded. One more question. Do those recordings that you moved to import directories still show the channel they were recorded on? I'm guessing that they don't. Actually I don't think it will upon further investigation. That only happens when the actual file becomes disconnected from the airing I don't get it on ALL recordings just a few that I move.

As to fixing it you can use the Web server to change the start time to re-position the start. Use this option on the recording:

Then change these values (The graphic should show what is needed for a two minute change):

It may take a few recordings to get it right and you can really mess up so proceed with caution and change recordings you don't care so much about first.
Attached Images
File Type: png MenuOption.png (659 Bytes, 244 views)
File Type: png Value to change to affect start time.png (1.8 KB, 246 views)

Last edited by BobPhoenix; 10-05-2011 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Added correction
Old 10-18-2011, 11:04 AM
Sage User

Thanks for the reply, Bob. Sorry for the late response. I've been out of town for the last couple of weeks.

I will definitely try your suggestion to fix the problem archive recordings and post back my results.

Thanks again,

-Gary
Old 11-09-2011, 09:15 PM
Sage User

it worked!

Hey all,

Just wanted to post back that Bob's suggestion worked great! It's a little painful to have to 'fix' every file I move to archive, but at least now I have the option.

Thanks again, Bob!

-Gary